Hmm not sure I get this

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyUK

Reaction score
Just looking at page 31 of pro nails...'the C-ing clearly' feature... can't quite see the point of using a minicure tool to create a c curve...what's wrong with using your skills with a brush? Also pushing your application around with a metal tool...wouldn't the temperature of the tool and the fact that you are pushing the acrylic around interfere with the natural polymerisation and basically prevent the acrylic structure from 'doin it's thing'? Interested to hear your opinions

i noticed that it said you should apply monomer to the nail before applying acrylic too, ive always been told that this can lead to over exposure. or maybe i have my wires crossed.

There was another post written yesturday(i think) regarding this article. The method goes against almost everybodys method ov applying acrlic - very bizzar! Why bother preping if ur going to flood the nail plate with monomer b4 application ov acrylic!:o

look at natural nails post - inconsistencies within the industry (I 've prob spelt that rong!)

wondering what The Nail Geek or Geeg thought of the article?

Cant believe the article actually does say to apply 'liquid only' to the nail!! Also the liquid on the manicure tool would touch the side walls so would cause over exposure too...also what's the bit about 'brushing excess product with liquid only to help smooth and thin out the acrylic at the free edge???I understood that once polymerisation had begun then adding more liquid certainly won't help to smooth out anything! Is this article for real or wot?lol

Bit confused at this one myself :rolleyes: as Sylvia Johnson (or Curran as us oldies know her) has been in the industry for years and is a highly educated and experienced tech and trainer.

I think i will call her to check out why she suggested that it was a good idea.

chocolate said:
Bit confused at this one myself :rolleyes: as Sylvia Johnson (or Curran as us oldies know her) has been in the industry for years and is a highly educated and experienced tech and trainer.

I think i will call her to check out why she suggested that it was a good idea.
Hi,
This has got me confused too as i know of Sylvia and have spoke to her a few times regarding independant training (that's what she is doing now) and it confuses me that such a knowledgable educator would put this in a mag!:rolleyes: and why has she put that she uses a white tip from the MIchelle Porter range because it needs little or no blending, i would have thought you didn't need to blend a white tip......or am i getting confused now:rolleyes:
Amanda

First time I have seen this post as I am in Portugal at the moment.

ALL of you should trust your instincts ... you have been taught well and you are right to be sceptical. Ms. Curran is passing out very dodgy information. she has been around a long time ... not sure when she last had a class????? Her info is flawed and downright irresponsible.

TRUST what you know to be correct information!! And do not let information that you know to be incorrect, confuse you! You know perfectly well what is safe handling of monomer liquid and rule number one is do not exdpose the skin.

Maybe she will not be quite so well respected in future ... if in fact she ever was.

Her info is flawed and downright irresponsible.

Maybe she will not be quite so well respected in future ... if in fact she ever was.
Now, now Gigi,
I think you should revert back to normal and stop beating aroung the bush and say what you really think.:D If you ever need a corner man for advice between rounds give me a call and ill ask Lily for you she has a great left upper cut. That i know from experience

Yours ......H

thanks geeg...straight to the point which is what us northern girls like lol...I am so disappointed to see something like this in the mag as 'most' things in there are just fab...less experienced techs somewhere will actually be following this advise. The title of my post 'not sure I get this' was being a bit too polite I guess lol...I was confused for a while by it but you are so right in trusting what you 'know' to be right and I will be interested to read what info you come back with chocolate x

Herman said:
Now, now Gigi,
I think you should revert back to normal and stop beating aroung the bush and say what you really think.:D If you ever need a corner man for advice between rounds give me a call and ill ask Lily for you she has a great left upper cut. That i know from experience

Yours ......H

:D Ha Ha Herman ... I know I do say it how it is and sometimes it may sound a bit harsh .. and it is probably was meant to in this case :D

Most everyone knows that I have been involved in the nail industry almost since the beginning in the UK. I KNOW some of these nail characters from way back. I know all about them and their history, who they have worked for and their records of achievment (or non-achievement as the case may be). I know how they all got to where they are today and I know the ones who have never moved on since the beginning. I know who has played dirty tricks and I know to whom they have been played. I know who is greedy and I know who isn't -- this is usually obvious after awhile ....................... so forgive me if sometimes I have to put the record straight. Because the new ones of course have NO IDEA (why would they)?? that is why I say trust what you KNOW to be TRUE and if it sounds wrong ... It probably is!!

If someone told you that Edinbrugh was the capital city of England ... You would KNOW that was wrong ......... If someone tells you it is OK to put monomer onto the skin or wash your face in it, or use it neat to smooth out a bead ..... you know it is wrong and unsafe ... FULL STOP.

Give your respect to those who have earned it and who you trust ... not just because thier face appears in a magazine ... magazines do not always sadly get expert advice all the time.

geeg said:
:D Ha Ha Herman ... I know I do say it how it is and sometimes it may sound a bit harsh .. and it is probably was meant to in this case :D

Most everyone knows that I have been involved in the nail industry almost since the beginning in the UK. I KNOW some of these nail characters from way back. I know all about them and their history, who they have worked for and their records of achievment (or non-achievement as the case may be). I know how they all got to where they are today and I know the ones who have never moved on since the beginning. I know who has played dirty tricks and I know to whom they have been played. I know who is greedy and I know who isn't -- this is usually obvious after awhile ....................... so forgive me if sometimes I have to put the record straight. Because the new ones of course have NO IDEA (why would they)?? that is why I say trust what you KNOW to be TRUE and if it sounds wrong ... It probably is!!

If someone told you that Edinbrugh was the capital city of England ... You would KNOW that was wrong ......... If someone tells you it is OK to put monomer onto the skin or wash your face in it, or use it neat to smooth out a bead ..... you know it is wrong and unsafe ... FULL STOP.

Give your respect to those who have earned it and who you trust ... not just because thier face appears in a magazine ... magazines do not always sadly get expert advice all the time.
Hiya,
But how can a magazine put something like this in...........obviously we all know it's wrong but a new tech who is waiting to do a course and buys these magazines wouldnt have a clue and would probably start practicing following step by steps like this..............
Amanda

Hi All
I totally agree with Geeg on the 'older' people in the industry cos I'm one of them too (Hi Geeg! Hope Portugal is great). It is so good to read from newer members who know nothing about some of the rubbish that used to go on in the past. You all have the 'new' rubbish to contend with!!

Magazines journalists are not nail technicians (although some know more than many techs), they have to rely on the information they are given. If they are given information from people who have been around a while or are from a product company they have to assume it is accurate. Also, a lot of information is based on opinion or brand techniques and is not necessarily wrong.

In this thread, monomer straight on to the nail plate or on the overlay is, logically, wrong (overexposure and wrong ratios) but the cuticle knife for a smile line is a technique that does not harm anything.

Just because something is published in a mag does not mean it is right or good (we've all seen some horrendous pics!) but unless it's questioned will continue as acceptable. Question it via the editor. If the editor gets enough adverse feedback about specific writers maybe she will think again before publishing that person again. Editors need feedback and they need information.

That's my 'twopennyworth' anyway!

mum said:
Hi All
I totally agree with Geeg on the 'older' people in the industry cos I'm one of them too (Hi Geeg! Hope Portugal is great). It is so good to read from newer members who know nothing about some of the rubbish that used to go on in the past. You all have the 'new' rubbish to contend with!!

Magazines journalists are not nail technicians (although some know more than many techs), they have to rely on the information they are given. If they are given information from people who have been around a while or are from a product company they have to assume it is accurate. Also, a lot of information is based on opinion or brand techniques and is not necessarily wrong.

In this thread, monomer straight on to the nail plate or on the overlay is, logically, wrong (overexposure and wrong ratios) but the cuticle knife for a smile line is a technique that does not harm anything.

Just because something is published in a mag does not mean it is right or good (we've all seen some horrendous pics!) but unless it's questioned will continue as acceptable. Question it via the editor. If the editor gets enough adverse feedback about specific writers maybe she will think again before publishing that person again. Editors need feedback and they need information.

That's my 'twopennyworth' anyway!
Hi,
Well said Marian
Amanda X

Absolutely right ... email the magazine and let it be known just how irrresponsible they have been in printing this misinformation ... judging by some of the posts I have read since my return there are some pretty scarey things going on out there ... the last thing we need is more bad information ..... and from a trade magazine no less!!

I do have to say though how 'proud' I am of all of you who have the knowledge to have been horrified by what you read 'cause you knew it was wrong and unsafe practice. Nail technicians are much better informed than they used to be thanks to the quality information they are getting in the books and courses being taken.

Im so glad I looked at this post today.

I read this article a few times and have been puzzling over it for a few days. My instincts told me it didnt feel right but as a newbie (only 1 years experience)I felt that the article must be right - after all it is a TRADE magazine! Surely you can trust them to get it right???!!!

Obviously not.

Thank goodness I saw this post before I was tempted to try these 'different techniques'. I will trust my instincts from now on implicitly.

Again this site has been invaluable to me whilst learning and gaining experience - the right way.

I will definately get in contact with the mag as Im horrified at what the consequences could have been.

Geeg what is your opinion on the bit about 'poking' around with the manicure tool to get the curve please?

TracyUK said:
Geeg what is your opinion on the bit about 'poking' around with the manicure tool to get the curve please?

I agree 100% with yur assessment of the 'method' in your first post in this thread.

I am not a lover of short cut methods when the skills are there to be learned with a bit of dedication and application.

I have never seen any nails done using short cuts such as (tip blenders, harsh abrasives, swiping, nipping, etc) that could ever compare with the nails done by a skilled technician/artist.

You know what they say ... Short cuts make long delays. Use these methods and you will only get bigger problems later.

Thats another saying im gonna use, I love it, short cuts make long delays! How true! The other one you taught me Gigi is "sculpt with your brush, not with your file" i remember that from 11 years ago! Sorry, a bit off the thread here! you know me, SCATTY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back