HMRC course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pretty Geeky

Reaction score
Hiya,

Has anyone been on the HMRC courses recently? I'm due to go on a "Self employment-the basics" course tomorrow and I'm nervous that I might be the only person there/won't understand stuff/it might be rubbish?!

Thanks! PGx

The teacher should assume that everybody has absolutely no knowledge so don't worry about that.

Also I would say don't be afraid to ask questions. The teacher should expect that and I can guarantee that if you are thinking it, someone else will be so they'll be very grateful that you asked the question. This is your chance to get the information you need, so go prepared with pen and paper etc, and make notes so you fully understand what you should be doing.

Hiya, I just went on a HMRC course last week, think it might be the same one. Self employed - the basics. I was really nervous about it as well, cos I didn't have a clue lol! But practically all the people who were there were exactly the same, in not really knowing where to start :) but the teacher was great and told us everything you need to know. You'll probably get a wee booklet of sorts to take away with you as well. It was a brill course, You'll feel so much more confident about how to do things after it as well, plus you get a tea or coffee and a biscuit ;) lol!

You'll enjoy it, take loadsa notes and you'll be fine :)

HTH! xxx

Thanks girls! It's a big relief that there'll be other people like me who know nowt-lol!! I'll make sure to take plenty of notes and ask plenty of questions.....I'll report back!! PGx

Hiya,

Has anyone been on the HMRC courses recently? I'm due to go on a "Self employment-the basics" course tomorrow and I'm nervous that I might be the only person there/won't understand stuff/it might be rubbish?!

Thanks! PGx

woah I didn't even know they did courses........... do you have to pay??

I would definitely benefit from this.

Good luck chicken x

Aww thanks hun!! Nope, for once they are free-yay!! Just register online or call them I think. I'll let you know how I get on. PGx

Hi, has anyone got a link to the exact page on how to register for this course? I just searched through their website but can't find it.

Many thanks

Thank you very much. Just booked mine.:)

Thank you too,

Have also just booked mine for all 3 and thankfully they are close together in date so should remember better , hopefully :lol:

I couldn't make sense of the info on the web so called the office and the lady was super helpful, the number I used was : 0845 603 2691

Best dust of the old gray matter and get the learning head on :eek:

Thank you too,

Have also just booked mine for all 3 and thankfully they are close together in date so should remember better , hopefully :lol:

I couldn't make sense of the info on the web so called the office and the lady was super helpful, the number I used was : 0845 603 2691

Best dust of the old gray matter and get the learning head on :eek:

What 3 courses have you booked yourself on if you don't mind me asking? I have just booked myself on a "Self employment-the basics" course. I'll keep people posted. :)

Evening ladies. Well, I went on the basics course today. It was really informative, answered tons of my questions!! The 3 courses are all interlinked, the basics, business expenses & capital allowances and self assessment online. I have to say-I don't think I'm the daftest girl going but I had to concentrate today!! My head hurt by the time I came out-lol!! Well worth it though.

Best of luck to you all going on the courses. PGx

Evening ladies. Well, I went on the basics course today. It was really informative, answered tons of my questions!! The 3 courses are all interlinked, the basics, business expenses & capital allowances and self assessment online. I have to say-I don't think I'm the daftest girl going but I had to concentrate today!! My head hurt by the time I came out-lol!! Well worth it though.

Best of luck to you all going on the courses. PGx

And it's exactly those I am going on and have managed to get the dates to run within a week of each other !!

Best I go loaded with pen,paper & a ton of redbull!!!

Perfectpolish-I wish my 3 courses were all within a week-mine are over 3 weeks :(. Hope everything stays in my brain til next time!

Yeah, take plenty paper and a pen. There's a few wee handouts too which are really helpful. PGx

If it's that much important info and you think you may struggle to take it in and retain it, why dont you take a dictaphone with you to record the speaker. That way you can run through it again and again until you know you fully understand it.

You can buy cheap digital dictaphones these days and then you can store the file on the computer too so it will be there at the crutial times when it's needed (like when it's assesment time).

That would be my tip :Love:

If it's that much important info and you think you may struggle to take it in and retain it, why dont you take a dictaphone with you to record the speaker. That way you can run through it again and again until you know you fully understand it.

You can buy cheap digital dictaphones these days and then you can store the file on the computer too so it will be there at the crutial times when it's needed (like when it's assesment time).

That would be my tip :Love:
Top tip, will have to investigate a dictaphone me thinks :) x

Perfectpolish-I wish my 3 courses were all within a week-mine are over 3 weeks :(

Have to say these courses are indeed info overload but really useful - worth noting though (depending on when you reg as self employed) you could be a further 12 months trading before you actually come to do your first self assessment so do consider this when timetabling your workshops. Whilst doing in quick succession may help process and understand what is a lot of info, if you've then got a period of time before you come to do your first S/A you'll forget everything....even with a dictaphone and great notes!!!
For those contemplating the workshops...having gone through the workshops and now successfully completed S/A it really is not that bad and worth the satisfaction of being able to understand business more and of course keeping potential accountants fees in pocket. Get your local HMRC number at the workshop and they'll help with any further queries down the line. PLUS I was told at my workshop the mere fact you attend these events is registered and puts you in a 'sympathetic' position should/would/could you get investigated, make a mistake or have to demonstrate further info....not sure how true/appropriate this is though!

*will master this iphone app one day!*
Have to say these courses are indeed info overload but really useful - worth noting though (depending on when you reg as self employed) you could be a further 12 months trading before you actually come to do your first self assessment so do consider this when timetabling your workshops. Whilst doing in quick succession may help process and understand what is a lot of info, if you've then got a period of time before you come to do your first S/A you'll forget everything....even with a dictaphone and great notes!!!
For those contemplating the workshops...having gone through the workshops and now successfully completed S/A it really is not that bad and worth the satisfaction of being able to understand business more and of course keeping potential accountants fees in pocket. Get your local HMRC number at the workshop and they'll help with any further queries down the line. PLUS I was told at my workshop the mere fact you attend these events is registered and puts you in a 'sympathetic' position should/would/could you get investigated, make a mistake or have to demonstrate further info....not sure how true/appropriate this is though!

thanks to this thread i have just been booked on a course in may. Hopefully i will clear the cobwebs in the old brain before i go. Thank you again fellow geeks:hug:

Im going on 9th may at northampton. I booked online but also called to speak to someone and they were really very helpfull. Looking forward to getting some good advice!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Latest posts

Back