HMRC Tax Credits self employed - being assessed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It made me breathe and sleep a little better! :)
I'm glad talking about it with me has made things a little less stressfull for you, it's a horrible thing to go through.

I still need to crack on and get it all sent off though, it would help if I could actually find any of my older certificates....too many house moves :confused:

I still need to crack on and get it all sent off though, it would help if I could actually find any of my older certificates....too many house moves :confused:
I didn't send any of my certificates, what question is making you think they are asking for your certificates?

On the form it asks for proof of qualifications......I may be over thinking it all lol

Do you mean it is on the checklist?

That's right.
I ignored the checklist and focused on answering all the questions and supplying anything that proves what you have said in the questions. I ignored the checklist until it came time to write on it what I had already decided to send them to prove all my answers in the questions they had asked me. If you worried they may want more proof you can write on the form that you are willing to send them more if they require it (this shows your willing to help but not needing you to send loads off unnecessarily).

Last edited:
It makes you feel sick doesn't it :( I'm still working my through my form but if you want to pm me please feel free X
Yes and I worked for them since I left school! I felt ill when I opened the letter. This is only my 1st year of self employment so I was surprised to receive it, thought I'd at least get a chance to get up and running

I am going self employed (spray tanning only to start with but will be adding more) so will be coming off income support and onto working tax (hopefully!) anyone know how this would work? As obviously I don't have an existing clientele or anything [emoji53]

I have just got this letter through too. Must be doing it rounds with everyone. x

I have just got this letter through too. Must be doing it rounds with everyone. x
Yes I believe they are checking everyone who is self employed & claiming tax credits for compliance (not just hair & beauty therapists).

How long did it take to hear back from them? Sent mine back over a week ago now o_O

How long did it take to hear back from them? Sent mine back over a week ago now o_O
Did you send your appointment book too?

Did you send your appointment book too?
No I didn't in the end, I did send 12 weeks worth of my daily takings sheets though so hopefully they'll be happy with that. Just waiting now!

If they don't accept your business as viable do you have to pay back all the money you've received off them?

I know they went through a thing a couple of years ago and people were being asked to pay back thousands of pounds that shouldn't of been paid too them

New If they don't accept your business as viable do you have to pay back all the money you've received off them?

I know they went through a thing a couple of years ago and people were being asked to pay back thousands of pounds that shouldn't of been paid too them
I would hope not especially as we are all being assessed because they have essentially changed the criteria for who is eligible.

Maybe someone who has been in that position can let us know.

I sent my paperwork off middle of Dec and they got back to me saying everything was fine in the middle of Jan (so it was about a month for me).
A few days after I sent my paperwork off I got a one off payment (this was done when they entered onto the system that they have got my papers) then I rang to check about the one off payment, they stated I had made a change & my future payments would be for £.x amount every week (that put my mind at rest as they were not stopping my money at that point) then I got an award notice through with future payment info.
Middle of Jan I recieved all my proof back in the post (including the envelope I had sent to them) with a letter saying all was fine, a few days later I got another one off payment and then a letter with my new award notice and future payment info.

This all started because people were told that they could claim more benefits if they started up their own business. They didn't have to really do anything, just register a business - any business - and you can claim tax credits. Now all the hard working self employed are having to prove that this isn't what they did. Good luck to you all.

And to the person who said child benefit isn't means tested - it is. If you or your partner are earning over £50,000 there are charges incurred.

Vic x

So just under 2 weeks after sending the info off I've had it all returned today with a very brief accompanying letter saying thank you and we don't need to change your award.

I've cried with relief! Had they removed my tax credits it would literally have meant I'd lose my home, so to say I'm relieved is a huge understatement.

Oh and thank you to everyone on this thread who gave advice, especially Baggybear! :)

Latest posts

Back