HMRC Tax Credits self employed - being assessed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just under 2 weeks after sending the info off I've had it all returned today with a very brief accompanying letter saying thank you and we don't need to change your award.

I've cried with relief! Had they removed my tax credits it would literally have meant I'd lose my home, so to say I'm relieved is a huge understatement.
The covering letter is very breif isn't it, especially after the stress they have put people through. I am really, really glad it all went smoothly for you and it is over with quickly (mine probably took longer to be returned because of holiday time over Christmas & new year).

So just under 2 weeks after sending the info off I've had it all returned today with a very brief accompanying letter saying thank you and we don't need to change your award.

I've cried with relief! Had they removed my tax credits it would literally have meant I'd lose my home, so to say I'm relieved is a huge understatement.
Phew! I'm so glad for you, it's not fair how stressful that's been! X

If they had any idea of the stress they cause people they would have to be sadists! I'm glad it's all over, for now at least, and very glad mine didn't come over Christmas, rotten timing :confused:

Hope everyone else who's had the forms gets a good reply soon too.

Must be so stressful to go through! But for the point vic brought up about people getting them for doing nothing it's a good thing they are doing checks! Too many people these days want money for doing nothing! Whilst people who put all their time and effort into building a business and career are sometimes worse off than the likes of many of us who either have a job whilst trying to build up the hair/beauty clientele or salon owners and employees!

I don't know how people can't work (obviously I understand some people physically can't work but I'm implying just the lazy Arse people here) I'm of work due to an operation I've had and I'm literally going insane! I'm bored all the time, there's only so much day time telly you can watch and I'm literally eating everything in sight as there's nothing to do!

Fingers crossed for you all that's had to go through the stress of it and hope the outcomes a good one!

I don't dissagree that there should be checks done BUT I do dissagree with the way they have gone about doing these checks and the very harsh & instant stopping of people's money without warning if they think the self employed person is not actually running a viable business. Surely there is a better way to ask for information and to determine who is running a real business and who are claiming benefits unfairly.
I'm sure there could have been a more clear and simpler request for information and I am sure that simply having people available on the phone who actually know what is being asked of us, for this compliance would make things easier and less stressful. The worst thing is that if you do ring they have no idea what your talking about, this makes you even more worried and stressed as you wonder if the people who asked for the informaton will actually understand what you have sent them.

I don't dissagree that there should be checks done BUT I do dissagree with the way they have gone about doing these checks and the very harsh & instant stopping of people's money without warning if they think the self employed person is not actually running a viable business. Surely there is a better way to ask for information and to determine who is running a real business and who are claiming benefits unfairly.
I'm sure there could have been a more clear and simpler request for information and I am sure that simply having people available on the phone who actually know what is being asked of us, for this compliance would make things easier and less stressful. The worst thing is that if you do ring they have no idea what your talking about, this makes you even more worried and stressed as you wonder if the people who asked for the informaton will actually understand what you have sent them.
Yeah I totally agree with you there must be so frustrating! There's nothing worse when your on the phone and you've probably been on hold for about half an hour anyways before you actually speak to someone and it's an 0800 (at a guess) and then it's like your speaking a foreign language when they should of had the right training to answer your questions!

They should send you like a basic template of what they require rather than just listing it like a physical booklet showing everything!

i totally sympathise with any of you who's had to go through this as you automatically think the worst outcomes going to happen!

Do they not have a feedback form or anything you can pass on your concerns? I would definitely make a complaint if you've had a bad experience because how are they going to know they need to do more training with the staff on how to handle a situation if no-one passes on the information?

This is a sudden decission to check all claims, there seems to be just a few people in an office somewhere who are dealing with the 'compliance' situation so when you get through on the phone it is to someone who doesn't know anything about the 'compliance letters' that have been sent out and so their advice is not helpful (I was told to just fill in the form & send it back when I rang - derrrr I know that I wanted more information about exactly what to send you as proof but you obviously have less of an idea about what is wanted than I do).

I didn't assume the worst was going to happen, the letter you get says pretty clearly if you don't fill in the form & return by the date given with all the information & proof they want then you will have your money stopped.

There is no feedback form, there is hardly anything written on the letter you get giving you the all clear, they seem to be people of very few words but with a lot of power (they can stop your money at the click of a button & that is a HUGE worry as most of us depend on that money to survive).

I went through this process just before Christmas, I did not send them ANY private info, no diary, no client data etc..
I will Pm you with more info but you don't need to send them much. I sent a business card, a price list & a tanning leaflet, a bill showing I had bought something for the business, a copy of my insurance & a bank statement showing JUST client payments (adding all other payments are made in cash).
It is frightemning at first but try and stay calm when looking to answer their questions one at a time.
Was this enough info for them after then or did you have to send more?

Was this enough info for them after then or did you have to send more?
That was all I sent. They did not ask for anything else.

Since my daughter moved out I get £28 a week working tax credits is all the stress worth it

I've spend this evening collating all the info and will post it tomorrow. I'm feeling really stressed about it now as my expenses are high as its my first year of S/E.

I've spend this evening collating all the info and will post it tomorrow. I'm feeling really stressed about it now as my expenses are high as its my first year of S/E.
They don't ask for your expenses so it shouldn't matter thay they are high. Feel free to PM me.

They don't ask for your expenses so it shouldn't matter thay they are high. Feel free to PM me.
I had a form to complete asking for profit and expenses for a 12 week period...

There's also an area of the form asking for you to say how you're going to improve your business, you could point out in there that it's your first year of trading, and as a result the following year should have fewer expenses yet a larger income due to an expanding clientele.

I had a form to complete asking for profit and expenses for a 12 week period...
It asks for the tasks completed & hours worked in the last 12 weeks. In that section you should have been listing ALL the work you've done for the business (accounts, stock checks, visiting/taking clients, checking emails, answering calls, placing orders, etc.. everything you wrote in the section asking about a 'typical working week'). They do not ask for money taken/spent in that 12 weeks though so it shouldn't matter that you've spent more than taken and as PURE said you should have stated that your in your start up phase and that your inital spending will level off and you will soon make more money than your spending.

They do not ask for money taken/spent in that 12 weeks though so it shouldn't matter that you've spent more than taken
My form did ask for both takings and expenses per week for the 12 week period. Maybe they've changed the forms slightly?

In fact I also sent in all my expense receipts that I'd had to quote too.

My form did ask for both takings and expenses per week for the 12 week period. Maybe they've changed the forms slightly?
The form I received definitely asked for my takings and expenses and I've given as much information as I could so I just have to wait and accept their decision. My tax credits and tax are all dealt with in the same office as was a former employee so not sure how quickly I'll hear back from them.

I've now received a letter asking for contact details for all my clients and suppliers and authority for them to contact them.
I'm now really upset as I see this could be potentially damaging for my business and reputation. I don't want locals gossiping about my personal business and finances as the letter is sent from Tax Credits Office!

I've now received a letter asking for contact details for all my clients and suppliers and authority for them to contact them.
I'm now really upset as I see this could be potentially damaging for my business and reputation. I don't want locals gossiping about my personal business and finances as the letter is sent from Tax Credits Office!

What?

That is rediculous!

I don't get any help with tax credits as they say the OH earns too much but they don't consider his income after his tax and NI are taken which is considerably different from income before tax!

Will you not have to get permission from all your clients to forward their contact details on due to data protection?

Latest posts

Back