Hoax eBay Scam - be aware

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toodles

Reaction score
Just wanted to warn everyone about a scam my friend received, supposedly from eBay. My friend contacted eBay about it, and eBay said that it was NOT from them and went on to say that they never ask for such details. The email was titled "Breach of user agreement - security measures" and read as follows:

Dear eBay member,

PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DEACTIVATED!

YOU MUST CLICK AND FOLLOW THE LINK CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE
IN ORDER TO KEEP YOUR USER ACCOUNT UP TO DATE.

Please access the following form to update your eBay records:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?VerifyEmailConfirm&bpuser=1
You can also access this from our Registered User Services menu.

Copyright © 1995-2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective ow

Hiya,

I have had loads of these spoof emails, they are quite scary as it does imply that they are from ebay when their just from a con artist. There is an email at ebay to report these to [email protected]. Ebay never asks for personal details but I do feel for those who have thought this was from ebay and are now quite a few pounds down

I too have had loads of these spoof "please verify your details" mailings, I've even had one similar from "allegedly" an american online bank who I have never delt with asking me to log in & verify my details.

As far as spoof Ebay sites, aside from remembering that Ebay will never ask you for your personal information int his way you can also download the Ebay toolbar which shows an alert as to whether any site you are on is a verified Ebay site. It also pops up to remind you about something you are watching or bidding on as it gets near to close so you dont miss it when you get engrossed in here & lose all track of time :lol:

Also should you receive a spoof email asking you to verify Ebay details it should be forwarded to ebay to assist in stopping it:
Report Suspicious Email to eBay

To report email requesting account information that you suspect was not sent by eBay send us the email with the complete message text and full header or forward the entire message to [email protected] using the forward function of your email programme. When forwarding the message, do not change the subject line, send additional text, or forward the message as an attachment. Forwarding the message in this manner will allow us to review the message headers and any other information that may be attached to the email.

The [email protected] email address is reserved for handling reports of attempts to impersonate eBay. In order to investigate these reports in a timely manner, we can only accept forwarded messages at this address.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

i get at least one of those emails every week....i used to forward them to ebay but now i just delete them......please also be aware that they are now being sent out to paypal users asking for the same details or your account will be terminated......so far i have only recieved one supposedly from paypal but no doubt they will be sent out by the bucket load shortly :mad: ...i just wonder how many people do actually fall for this type of thing, it is quite a scary thought :(

stanleyann

I actually replied to one of them months and months ago, being very naive, my husband phoned them and I had to cancel my credit card. Nightmare.
I have also received a few reference paypal, but just send them to EBay and delete them, I wonder how many people actually go through with it.
What is going on all these scams are a nightmare.

I am new to this site, hi everyone.

Becky
(Wright Nails)

Latest posts

Back