'Holes' in Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonails

Reaction score
I have a client with somewhat weak nails. They are very short and always break when they get any length. They have been weak since before she started coming to us.
She used to have acrylics but since she started with us we have just done CND Shellac.
Everytime we apply the polish, even the base coat, there's almost like holes in the polish so whenever I paint it on, by the time it's done curing, about a third of the polish has disappeared, particularly from the sides and the tips and then there are holes in the polish in the centre of the nails. This is on every nail and it doesn't matter what colour it is, and it doesn't matter how many coats we use.
She is the only client that this happens with. Any ideas please? x

I know exactly what you mean! This will happen when there is some sort of residue still on the nails, whether that be oil/hand cream/shellac residue....? Who is removing her shellac? Have you THOROUGHLY scrub freshen & LET IT DRY?

I had this with a Gel II client and it was caused by her not wearing gloves when using detergents/bleach xx

Exactly as fluffy26 says.

I know exactly what you mean! This will happen when there is some sort of residue still on the nails, whether that be oil/hand cream/shellac residue....? Who is removing her shellac? Have you THOROUGHLY scrub freshen & LET IT DRY?

She soaks off herself, so comes in with nothing on the nails. I do the same prep as I do with everyone, including Scrub Fresh before base coat. Perhaps she has naturally oily nails? Because doesn't Shellac have a problem lasting on clients with oily nails?

She soaks off herself, so comes in with nothing on the nails. I do the same prep as I do with everyone, including Scrub Fresh before base coat. Perhaps she has naturally oily nails? Because doesn't Shellac have a problem lasting on clients with oily nails?

Ah well I have a few clients “take their own shellac off” I bet you any money there is still a thin residue of base coat left on her nails! Most clients think they’ve got the colour off then the shellac is gone! Even if she had got oily nails “the holes” wouldn’t be happening she had residue on her nails!!

She's maybe over-oiling them after removal, to 'feed' them
Maybe they need more dehydration.

Latest posts

Back