Holiday envy? is there such a thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

persianista

Reaction score
After 7 long years since our last holiday, we decided to risk a 7 day break. We stopped having holidays after a really bad experience with our staff while we were away. We have different staff now, so decided to try it.

Turned out that both therapists in our beauty salon decided to go sick. One was off sick all week, the other one got fed up with having to cover her work, so went sick as well. The hairdressers were left with two full columns of beauty clients and no therapist. They called me.

I tried bothe therapists, they both said they were ill and couldn't work. One said that all the clients could be cancelled, so it wouldn't matter:mad:

I sat on the beach and cried. I can't take a week away without this kind of thing happening. I have had staff in the past who will go sick if they know I have booked a day out. I don't usually tell my staff if I am due to attend anything important as a result.

This really spoilt my holiday. I was texting a friend, and he seemed to think it was normal. My poor hairdressers have worked so hard to prove they can be trusted and relied upon while I'm away.

Why did these two girls do this? I really want to know as I cannot get over how cruel this was.

:hug: It is cruel, these therapists do let you down, no matter whos in charge because they dont see your buisness as they're own. Unfortunatey it was at a time where you're supposed to be relaxing.

I had this happen to me before, ive been at both ends,one where i got given all the work in the deep end and one where im abroad and having way too many issues to deal with. Its dissapointing that people cannot be responsible for their actions, i would seriously reprimand then for this. if the therapists pretended to be sick get the sick notes in, be quite harsh with them, that this is unacceptable.

Its hard when you leave you're place in someones elses hands, i think of my place as my baby, and if someone babysits my place wrong, i worry and stress my self out, till i come back. Chin up missy and hopefully the next hoilday you have wont be as bad! xoxo

Both seem to think they don't need sicknotes, and doctors don't issue them nowadays.

Going by your fb page, it looks like their 'sickness' has cost them their jobs!! Quite right too...

Some therapists !!Honestly, I would never do this to my employer. I like to come across as extremely reliable, wouldn't dare to take a day off sick if I knew there was no one else to work in a salon.
I think this says a lot about these girls. But only you know what they are like apart from this incident.

If I could have cut myself in half and you had my number you could have called me and I would have popped down to see if I could help. Not that I can do beauty but perhaps get on the phone to your clients and REALLY apologise for the problems they have encountered whilst you were on holiday and speak to these girls.

So sorry this has happened Dawn. I hope you don't pay sick pay. It's also a hard one to call because you can't really give them a disciplinary warning because you have no way of proving they were not ill.

Big hugs x

what a shame for you. My husband is the same with his bussiness I am mobile so I just dont book lol . Such a shame everyone deserves a holiday xx

Hi Hun,
Have you ever thought or tried enforced holidays? Like the old fashioned "wakes weeks", I know this is still done in some factories, staff know when the annual holidays are, you all go away at the same time.
Down side is salon is shut for the duration of your holidays. But YOU are in control.
If managed well, which I know it would be by you, your clients would see you just before you go away, the 2 weeks prior to hols would be crazy busy, but worth it to holiday without the worry.
Even if it was just the beauty side that closed for the time you go away.
Worth a thought.
I do know a small hair salon local to me that does this, it is the only way she can get a holiday. She has done this since her staff did very similar to you, but it was her Honeymoon.
Sorry your hols were messed up and you were so upset.
Lotsa luv x x x x :hug::hug:

It's a real shame that somebody in the salon couldn't have dealt with this. You were on holiday and deserved to switch off and couldn't wave a magic wand to sort it out. I appreciate that your hairdressers couldn't take on the clients, but really the only thing to be done was to ring round and cancel the beauty clients and let you deal with the personnel details on your return. But I can understand that they maybe panicked a bit.

As someone has said, only you know, (or suspect), whether they were both swinging the lead. It could be that 1 of them, at least, was genuine.

Hope you manage to get another break soon.

Hi I feel bad for you! What posh floss said sound like a plan. Even if its just one week a year, say your quietest week and shut the salon that week. Surely that would be better. If not then what about employing a friend to kind fo temporarily "manage" or in other words check up on the salon. Or tell them that there will be a secret shopper in while you are away. Is there not someone who is below you but above them like a senior stylist you could pay to kind of manage the staff while you are away. Maby you need a number two, who can be the manager for you so that you can have the odd day out and that with out them all being stupid with days off. I dont understand why they would do it to be honest. No one I know whould be like that they would just get on with the job as normal. Are they not scared of what will happen when you come home? XXX

Wouldnt dare take another holiday. Sitting a thousand miles away when you business is being screwed is not fun in my book.
I felt desperately sorry for the hairdressers. They were doing my clients as it was, so the added pressure of dealing with all this was horrendous.

They really wanted to prove to me that they could be trusted, and that I could go away without worry. As it was I ended up a sobbing wreck trying to get a flight home.

Feel like I never want another holiday.

Oh no, I really feel for you, its dreadful that you should be made to feel like this.
We all need a break to be able to function properly.
I had a similar experience a while ago, makes you feel a bit sick doesn't it, especially when there is nothinng you can do about it.
I actually agree with someone who said earlier to go back to the "old fashioned" way. I now close when I go away, I know it goes against our usual "work ethic" but customer have got used to it and I can go away guilt/stress free.
Its honestly worth it for your sanity.
Take care and make sure you are really able to switch off and enjoy your next break.
Sx

I don't get why people act like that. You would imagine they would want to work extra hard to prove that the salon can manage without you! Do you find hairdressers and beauticians to be different in their approach to working? I just wondered as you said the hairdressers tried really hard.

I don't get why people act like that. You would imagine they would want to work extra hard to prove that the salon can manage without you! Do you find hairdressers and beauticians to be different in their approach to working? I just wondered as you said the hairdressers tried really hard.

Yes, I consistantly find that therapists take 4x more time off sick than hairdressers. Totally different work ethic. My hairdressers were ashamed that this happened. The therapists are just defensive of their vile behaviour.

Both my hair salons functioned perfectly well. The hairdressers were under MORE pressure as they were covering my clients as well as their own. The therapists just had to do their normal work.

Yes, I consistantly find that therapists take 4x more time off sick than hairdressers. Totally different work ethic. My hairdressers were ashamed that this happened. The therapists are just defensive of their vile behaviour.

Both my hair salons functioned perfectly well. The hairdressers were under MORE pressure as they were covering my clients as well as their own. The therapists just had to do their normal work.

OOO now now! Speaking up for beauty/holistic therapists (which I am) I think that may be a little unfair!!
I do understand that personal experience can cloud general judgement but I have had the good fortune to work with and employ both and they are just as good/bad as each other!

OOO now now! Speaking up for beauty/holistic therapists (which I am) I think that may be a little unfair!!
I do understand that personal experience can cloud general judgement but I have had the good fortune to work with and employ both and they are just as good/bad as each other!

I can only speak from my own experience. I have a couple of salons and have had them for 12 years, employing both hair and beauty pro's. I generally employ about 10 staff. two are beauty, the rest are hair. The two therapists have had more than double the time off sick than all the rest of the hair staff added together.This is since March this year.
That is normal. We always have found that our therapists are sick far more than our hair pro's.

Hey hun I am so sorry this has happened to you.

There is no rhyme or reason, it is nothing you have done. Of course we can't expect the girls to have the passion we do as it's not their baby, but when we get so few holidays, you really need that time to unwind & recharge those batteries and it is so very very unfair.

I can honestly say I know exactly what it is like as when it happened to me taking my first weeks holiday after 5 years of being in business. I spent hours on the phone juggling customers and trying to draft in floating staff (I had a few of those who don't want regular work but have received the full training required and covered big spring cleans/busy holiday periods & sickness). I came home to a raft of cancellations & a bizarre message from an ex-customer's neighbour complaining about Molly Maid cleaning next door at 7am. Turns out the girl off sick was doing private work in my logoed car for my customers. :cry:

Last year we managed 2 weeks away (not subsequent weeks sadly) but I appointed a senior team member (and paid her a daily bonus) to be the one responsible for dealing with the 7am fallout and my office based PA to deal with the customer side of things. I phoned in every day and the girls knew that Karen wouldn't take any nonsense. Their pay was commission based and only SSP was paid after the three waiting days so they don't work, they don't get paid, simple as.

I enforced a close between Xmas and New Year, staff had to save 3 days holiday or take it unpaid. You need a break, if you'd have been able to take a holiday more often, you'd be able to roll your eyes and say here we go again I promise you.

I am sending you the hugest hug, and next time you're going away, I'll be your Mon, Tues Weds floater as I only do Thurs Fri Sat.

:hug:

That's pretty outrageous.

Wouldn't you just love to tell them they're fired!!

Sometimes it seems that too many of the employment laws are on the side of employees .. you just can't get rid of them when you need to without going through a hundred different steps to do so.

Don't be sad, get a better plan and definately take another holiday next year .. I really like the idea suggested previously about you and beauticians all taking holiday at the same time!!

Jacqui xx

I horrified that your employees would act like this!! i know that when the boss is way we all take the piss more than normal - but im thinking more of having an extra cuppa break etc
:sad:

ive always felt the need the prove that my bosses can leave me to cope on my own - and the poor clients being messed around not good at all!!

I think it speaks volumes that your other staff have done you proud while you were away, coping aswell as they can!! :green:

im not too hot on employment laws (as jacquelineanna said there are loads) but can they be reprimanded in any way?? no one needs staff they cant rely!

I would hve 'fake' holidays and days out - telling them i was going away but turning up and catching them out lol but that is me being very childish!!

I hope you can find some time to get a holiday x

I really feel for you - not sure if I feel more sad or angry that your (& your husband's) holiday was spoilt- a bit of both I think.
TBH I cannot add any useful advice but just wanted to add my support & sympathise.
I do not think that anyone can really appreciate the effort it takes to leave your business in someone else's hands while you go away, especially if its abroad and you cannot get back under your own steam. The only time I truly relax is when the salon is closed (& there is no rioting going on!)

The reality is the chances that something like this will happen again are very low, so please do go on holiday...EVERYONE DESERVES A STRESS FREE HOLIDAY.

PS I hope you will find ways to get payback:evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back