Hollywood help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamantine

Reaction score
Hi all. Popping over from nails for advice. I have had 4 Hollywood now from 2 different waxers but I'm still not happy but it may just be me.
As far as I was aware, a Hollywood was everything off front and back. Is this right? What I have received so far I would call a Brazilian. Everything off at the front and nothing at the back. Even then not everything off at the front as they have not gone close enough in at the sides abd I end up shaving the rest off at home.

Last one I had on Friday I am so so sore now. She didn't pull the skin taught and I feel bruised. She said she prefers to do small sections at a time as its less painful?!

Anyway am I right in being unhappy with not getting what I paid for or am I mistaken in what I'm asking for? And is there ANYTHING I can do to ease the discomfort??

Morning! You are right to be upset. First off you shouldn't feel sore if they use a good wax and a good technique. My clients (male and female) and all of students say that there is no soreness immediately……..literally as soon as they get off the beauty couch and put their underwear on.

In my book, a Hollywood and a Brazilian are identical and that every hair is removed from the buttocks (if needed, the butt crack (inside the buttocks), the perineum, the inner and outer labia and the hair from the pubic mound (the triangle). HOWEVER, the only difference between the two is that a Brazilian leaved a small amount of hair on the pubic mound and that's generally a narrow strip about the width of a spatula.

So with a Hollywood, you should be completely bald from back to front.

With a Brazilian, you should be completely bald from back to front with just a strip or triangle left on the pubic mound.

Sounds as though you've had something between a G String or a High Leg which is not what you wanted or was paying for.

I'm not an expert, but there was a thread about this a few weeks back.

I think the general opinion was that the different names have different meanings depending on where you are and even what salon you go to.

I'm sure one of the waxing pros will be along soon to give you the info!

Lol! Kim beat me to it!

That's pretty much what I thought Kim but you explained it better lol. I won't be going back to her again that's for sure!

There is only 1 salon in my town and 1 home based therapist that offers a Hollywood in my town. But a new one has opened up so that is my last hope I think. They offer a Hollywood "from £15" which I think is a but odd.

Is it just painkillers for a couple of days till the pain subsides then?

From £15? That is weird lol.

I would just apply some sudocrem or salvon to the area and wear cotton knickers :).

Google around your area for any Kim
lawless trained waxers. If your ever in Glasgow I would be happy to wax you lol.

That's pretty much what I thought Kim but you explained it better lol. I won't be going back to her again that's for sure!

There is only 1 salon in my town and 1 home based therapist that offers a Hollywood in my town. But a new one has opened up so that is my last hope I think. They offer a Hollywood "from £15" which I think is a but odd.

Is it just painkillers for a couple of days till the pain subsides then?
Google 'Kim Lawless Aberdeen' and you'll get some therapists that I've trained come up (I've just seen them on there). Actually, I've got students flying to me this week and I'm pretty sure that they're from Aberdeen, so if they are, I'll give you their details.

Painkillers will help.

£15 is too cheap. Would you go to someone who did a cut and blow dry for £15?:)

Good luck. x

It's the "from" that has me confused?! Is it going off of how much hair you have? Surelt it does not use that much extra wax to wax someone with 5 weeks growth to someone with 4?

I will google for those you have trained Kim. I'm not actually in Aberdeen but outside it. Hopefully you have trained someone in my town!

Adamantine, I had the same problem with Brazillians, didn't get what I wanted, just ripped off money wise and feeling embarrassed like there was something wrong hence why I didn't get it done properly.

Do a google, look for Kim, and you should find a salon that does it properly. I'm gonna give my Kim salon a ring this week and get it done, bit scared as been putting it off but really want it done! X

Hmm the quick google I did doesn't give any Kim trained therapists in my town. Will have to be Aberdeen next time I'm through. Give me time to get over this trauma lol. Oh I remembered I have arnica in the cupboard. Would that help? The pain in mainly on the pubic mound?

Did a search for my area and none came up:(

It's the "from" that has me confused?! Is it going off of how much hair you have? Surelt it does not use that much extra wax to wax someone with 5 weeks growth to someone with 4?

I will google for those you have trained Kim. I'm not actually in Aberdeen but outside it. Hopefully you have trained someone in my town!

That's why I don't do from and two prices as it's basically telling someone that they're fat or hairy. Not good!

See the link I posted for a salon in Aberdeen. x

Last edited:

This is the one I found when I looked too. It's over 35 miles away from me though. There is no one nearer. I might give the new local salon a call, see what they say and drop your name in there Kim, ask if any of them have trained with you and maybe plant an idea :D.

I find being in a small town the choice is very limited and everyone is trying to undercut each other. Having said that the more you pay does not mean that you are getting better service or more experience/training.

The hunt for a good waxer continues!

I've adopted the variable pricing, with the view that I would probably never ever charge the highest price to a client for the exact reason that they would feel they were the hairiest/biggest ever... so no matter how hairy or large they would think they were not the worst I'd had to wax :) But it leaves me able to charge a little less if they have been maintaining their waxing as there is simply less to do :)
I was told that THE most important question in a consultation is probably "how much are you having off?" Forget names for things... everyone has a different idea of what brazillian/hollywood/whatever is exactly... you can't put it back on but you can take more off! However starting with finding out how much they want off is a vital thing to get clear :) If they say "all of it" I still make sure with actually showing them where I will take to and explaining etc It would eliminate the disappointment like you've had I think :)
With your next appointment make clear what you want off - and find out where they trained!
For your next wax I'd get some Bush Balm (I know I know...) - I found out about it on my course with Andy lol it's AMAZING and I've even converted my husband to it! It won't help the bruising, once it's bruised only time will help (you might want to discuss what painkillers are best suited with your chemist though ;) ) but next time if within half an hour you can get something cool on it (bag of peas spring to mind...) it will help prevent too much bruising and swelling which will speed up the recovery. Obviously it shouldn't ever need it but even good or great waxers have slips :)

I've adopted the variable pricing, with the view that I would probably never ever charge the highest price to a client for the exact reason that they would feel they were the hairiest/biggest ever... so no matter how hairy or large they would think they were not the worst I'd had to wax :) But it leaves me able to charge a little less if they have been maintaining their waxing as there is simply less to do :)
I was told that THE most important question in a consultation is probably "how much are you having off?" Forget names for things... everyone has a different idea of what brazillian/hollywood/whatever is exactly... you can't put it back on but you can take more off! However starting with finding out how much they want off is a vital thing to get clear :) If they say "all of it" I still make sure with actually showing them where I will take to and explaining etc It would eliminate the disappointment like you've had I think :)
With your next appointment make clear what you want off - and find out where they trained!
For your next wax I'd get some Bush Balm (I know I know...) - I found out about it on my course with Andy lol it's AMAZING and I've even converted my husband to it! It won't help the bruising, once it's bruised only time will help (you might want to discuss what painkillers are best suited with your chemist though ;) ) but next time if within half an hour you can get something cool on it (bag of peas spring to mind...) it will help prevent too much bruising and swelling which will speed up the recovery. Obviously it shouldn't ever need it but even good or great waxers have slips :)

Yeah I phoned her saying I wanted a Hollywood and she put it in the diary as that. Then when I had got sorted on the couch she asked "How much are we taking off today then?" I again told her "All of it please. I want a Hollywood" but still didn't get it.

I just checked their price list again and they don't say what brand of wax they use. Everything else though ie Shellac, Dermatoligca, Entity etc but nothing to do with waxing. The owner just came back from spending 5 years working on a luxury cruise liner so she ought to be good based off that alone I think.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will pop back and update in a few weeks after I have plucked up the courage to get it done again once its regrown.

Yeah I phoned her saying I wanted a Hollywood and she put it in the diary as that. Then when I had got sorted on the couch she asked "How much are we taking off today then?" I again told her "All of it please. I want a Hollywood" but still didn't get it.

I just checked their price list again and they don't say what brand of wax they use. Everything else though ie Shellac, Dermatoligca, Entity etc but nothing to do with waxing. The owner just came back from spending 5 years working on a luxury cruise liner so she ought to be good based off that alone I think.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will pop back and update in a few weeks after I have plucked up the courage to get it done again once its regrown.

If shes been on the ships she has probably been doing facials and body treatments the majority of the time so will maybe be a little behind with her waxing skills. :)

Ok ladies it's worse than I thought. I'm not scabbing. I have several bits of skin missing!!!

I feel like I have been butchered! I feel like crying! Don't know what to do now.

Ok ladies it's worse than I thought. I'm not scabbing. I have several bits of skin missing!!!

I feel like I have been butchered! I feel like crying! Don't know what to do now.

Go get some bepanthen - it will help :) I would also let the salon know to be honest - personally I don't like the idea of using warm wax on that area but I'm sure that it can be done well if someone really know what they are doing... not for me though :(
However the Salon needs to know that this is not being done properly so they can correct it - otherwise more people are likely to end up with this problem and might go off waxing all together!
If the therapist doesn't know they are doing wrong they can't be expected to correct it...

Go get some bepanthen - it will help :) I would also let the salon know to be honest - personally I don't like the idea of using warm wax on that area but I'm sure that it can be done well if someone really know what they are doing... not for me though :(
However the Salon needs to know that this is not being done properly so they can correct it - otherwise more people are likely to end up with this problem and might go off waxing all together!
If the therapist doesn't know they are doing wrong they can't be expected to correct it...

She is self employed and works from home. I feel bad about texting her to say what's happened as she is off on the holiday of a lifetime on Wednesday and I don't want to ruin it. Weird I know considering I am the one in pain here but I don't like complaining about things like this.

I'm sure I still have bepanthen left from my last tattoo.

This will mean I can't tan either for a while.

What should I say to her? She asks to be contacted through email, text or Facebook mail.

Latest posts

Back