Hollywood wax issues, newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker bell

Reaction score
Hi ,

So 3 years ago I trained to do intimate waxing, something that never took off as I was too scared to offer it despite lots of people asking.

I've generally been scared of waxing all together until recently, I just want to wax wax wax and quite enjoy it really.

So my brave and kind cousin let me practice my skills on her and I wasn't 100% happy with it myself.

I am using perron rigot euro blonde,

First I forgot to apply the oil and after removing one side remembered, then after applying the oil I found it got a little better. I think I was applying the wax too thick in some areas and too thin in others as I had to make a lip on some and the thick ones were quite uncomfortable for me to remove.

I used about 75 spatulas..... Please don't laugh at this bit

And this is weird but I am left handed and find it extremely hard to hold the skin correctly and get a good grip on the wax to remove so again it made it quite uncomfortable to remove.

She said its more uncomfortable than strip what she normally has and I know this is down to my application ect, however she said this morning that the skin is calmer than it normally would be had she had the strip.

Can anyone offer any advice please as I really want to make this a comfortable experience with excellent results.

Maybe you should try going on a refresher course I trained with lycon and is the best wax and training I have been on ☺️

Hiya!

Sounds like you need to invest in some training... It'll give you a proper technique to get smooth results with as little discomfort to your clients as possible. You need to make waxing easy for you first, then it'll automatically feel easier on the clients.

For the minute, try applying and removing in smaller patches. Reapplication of pre-wax oil throughout the treatment will make it as painfree as possible for the clients.

Don't worry about using lots of spatulas. At least you're not double dipping! Go you!!! I snap my sticks in 2 so I make use of both ends.

Also, my toughest thing to get used when I started waxing was positioning my hands for removal and getting the proper stretch. That will all come with practise especially after some training.

It'll all fall into place the more you wax. :)

Don't worry, it's only natural for it all to seem new again if you haven't really been doing it.

Although by never double dipping we use a lot of spatula's, I agree that 70 plus is way too many. Start to judge how much wax you need on your spatula for the area that you're going to apply. So for example it could be that you take your wax a quarter, a third or half way up the spatula. Know how thick you want your wax to be and practise getting the amount right on yourself. Handling your wax is key to being a good waxer.

Being left handed can be a nightmare; I know that from my students because it isn't just as simple as standing around the other side of the bed which is an option that you should try. Some of them move around the other side and then tell me that feel more comfortable waxing right handed. It's trial and error. Most (not all) right hand people would have their wax and their clients head to the left of them. If that's how your room is set up and too much fuss to move, get your next model to lay with their head at the foot end to see if that's easier for you. If it is then move your room around.

Good luck!

Good tip for using spatulas wrap some tissue around the side you have used & apply the wax with the other end of the spatula so no double dipping & it saves on spatulas as well x

Hi ,

So 3 years ago I trained to do intimate waxing, something that never took off as I was too scared to offer it despite lots of people asking.

I've generally been scared of waxing all together until recently, I just want to wax wax wax and quite enjoy it really.

So my brave and kind cousin let me practice my skills on her and I wasn't 100% happy with it myself.

I am using perron rigot euro blonde,

First I forgot to apply the oil and after removing one side remembered, then after applying the oil I found it got a little better. I think I was applying the wax too thick in some areas and too thin in others as I had to make a lip on some and the thick ones were quite uncomfortable for me to remove.

I used about 75 spatulas..... Please don't laugh at this bit

And this is weird but I am left handed and find it extremely hard to hold the skin correctly and get a good grip on the wax to remove so again it made it quite uncomfortable to remove.

She said its more uncomfortable than strip what she normally has and I know this is down to my application ect, however she said this morning that the skin is calmer than it normally would be had she had the strip.

Can anyone offer any advice please as I really want to make this a comfortable experience with excellent results.

If at the moment you are struggling to get a good stretch don't be afraid to ask your client to give you a big stretch, mine do it by habit and they know firstly it takes thier mind off it and it's less painful the more they stretch. Some areas are more difficult to stretch that others but I generally use my thumb or fingers to push down so the area I am removing wax from is taught.
Confidence is key once your comfortable letting your hands rest and press anywhere it's easier.
Xx

Spatulas are 1p each ... not worth the hassle of inventive ways to use them more than once.

Just saying :)

Business is business however and every penny counts!

Use the other end of a spatula to avoid double dipping and for arguments sake you save 7p per client. Average 8 clients a day over 5 days = £2.80 a week

Over a year that's £145! That's a few bottles of some nice vino or a day in a nice spa as a reward for using the other end of your spats!

:D

I agree with Jacquelinanna for the same reason and also because by the time I'd wrapped tissue round each spatula and used it again 100 times a day I could have fitted in another Brazilian and earned enough for 300 new spatulas. Also it would look unprofessional. [emoji12]

Last edited:
Well it works for me & only takes a sec. Just a tip is all it's not going to work for everyone. I really don't think it looks unprofessional if you explain to the client why you are doing it [emoji3]

Not sure about the tissue thing to be honest, but I have about 5 spats on the go at any time. Brazilian/Hollywood takes about 12-15 mins, so flipping the stick doesn't seem to slow me down.

To save even more ££, split the sticks lengthways first! Hehe x

Wow! How do you have 5 on the go?

Each to their own but I wouldn't want to explain to the client who's paying £35 for a wax that the reason I use both ends is to save 1/2p!!

Each to their own but I wouldn't want to explain to the client who's paying £35 for a wax that the reason I use both ends is to save 1/2p!!
Lol x

Why on earth would you be explaining your costs to your clients?

I spread a strip on and rest the unused end on the scraper bar, repeat with another one etc and by the time you've put all your wax on and removed, you're ready to use the first one. I reckon I put on between 6 & 8 lots of wax before I start removing it so depending on how speedy I'm being (usually influenced by hunger), I could have that many spats waiting to go!

Christ, that's sounds complicated!! Lol.

Last edited:
Seriously ladies does it really matter if some of us like to find inventive ways to save on spatulas it's each to their own & what ever works for you. Like we all have different ways of carrying out intimate waxing & if the end result is good that's the main thing. I hope the original poster has gotten some benefit from some of the above advice x

Because the lady that mentioned it said if you explained the reason why they would understand!

Because the lady that mentioned it said if you explained the reason why they would understand!

I didn't mean it was mentioned in relation to cost it was in relation to double dipping.

As waxers, the cost of never double dipping is minimal............you don't hear a nail tech saying 'Damn! I don't want to use anymore nail polish.' It's just part of our outlay.

Spending about 20p per client on spats when we are charging £20 to £50 per Brazilian is nothing. Also, clients notice these things.

Thank you so much ladies, I'm not too concerned about the cost of the spats but I know if I've used about 75 that means I've put 75 bits of wax on,

Thank you Kim for your left handed advice, I have a lady in tomorrow so will give the right handed way a go and work with client to my left which I wasn't doing.

Will keep yous posted. :p

Latest posts

Back