Home based businesses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj1

Reaction score
Good morning all, I have a question for the home based business owners. How often are you raising your prices if at all and do you keep your prices lower than competitors because you work from home?

I have been in business 7 years and I am not fully booked which is what upsets me, however I feel my prices are too low and want to go up but fear that i will lose clients and a lot of tips too!

My kids were home for Easter and said I am not busy because I'm too cheap and people are afraid of that. Please advise me I could really use some help here, thanks!

Hi fellow Canadian!

When I started I re-searched the prices around the different salons and other nail technicians in my area. How much they charge for the different services, how long it takes them to offer such services, what the services entitles, etc. And I based myself on this.

I've been keeping my prices about the same as salons if not lower.

Would you be willing to share some of your services and their pricings so we can have an idea and advise if we think they are too high or too low?

Maybe the fact you don't have many bookings is not your price range but your advertising technique? Get your name and your services out there as much as possible! Offer referal discounts and/or bonuses to your current clients! Offer specials for the different seasons and/or holidays through out the years, like combined manicure and pedicure for a special price for example.

Hi Pixie,

I have done all you've suggested believe me, I have discounted my already low prices to try to lure them in.

I have promoted specials many times over the years, I may get a few people from that and that's it.

I am happy with my business and what I make, I just want more especially at this time of my life when I can devote more time to it due to me being empty nested.
I make more than working 30 hours out of the house on a normal week. Mani 15
Pedi 25
add 3 for french
eye wax 8
lip/chin 5
full face incl eye wax 20
leg full 40
half leg 30
Braz 50
I have a few other services that I provide just to name a few and the most popular ones.

Your prices look good to me! And those waxing prices look fantastic!

Have you tried advertising on Kijiji ? This is where I've gotten most of my clients so far. Word of mouth from friends and clients. And Facebook helps a tiny bit.

It's possible also that some people prefer to stick to salons rather than go to someone's home. I don't mind personally, going to someone's house for services, but one of my client told me she was hesitant to call me the 1st time because she was worried I might be some kind of psycho that might hurt her. Lol

That's so funny you say that as I think that way more often. I love to give all my business where I can to a home based business.
That's why I don't do walk ins for the fear of who's gonna walk in and are they gonna kill me or hurt me. Sad world today isn't it.

Many people are also shocked when they see there is a separate entrance to the business and how private it is.

Do you think I should keep prices where they are? My pedi's are spa pedi's so I think that definitely needs to go up.

Thanks for your help:lol:

I work from home. I am pretty much fully booked and I charge A LOT more than many high street salons. I have a private, boutique, exclusive salon, and I offer high end, luxe treatments.
I recently introduced a new facial for which I charge £120. I was worried it might not sell. I've done 3 today, and 2 yesterday!
Rebrand yourself into a high end therapist.

How would you rebrand yourself to high end clintel and what kind of services would you provide?

I only offer l&p and pedis and manis but would love to become more high end then run of the mill as i thinj that will make you stand out.

Hi Pixie,

I have done all you've suggested believe me, I have discounted my already low prices to try to lure them in.

I have promoted specials many times over the years, I may get a few people from that and that's it.

I am happy with my business and what I make, I just want more especially at this time of my life when I can devote more time to it due to me being empty nested.
I make more than working 30 hours out of the house on a normal week. Mani 15
Pedi 25
add 3 for french
eye wax 8
lip/chin 5
full face incl eye wax 20
leg full 40
half leg 30
Braz 50
I have a few other services that I provide just to name a few and the most popular ones.

Hello fellow Canadian!! :)

I worked from home for a couple of years and recently moved to a rental space, never looking back!!

on that note, i think your pedicure prices are really cheap! i charge 30$ for my pedicure and will be upping it to 35$ in may, this is just for a basic pedicure. my spa pedi is $55. my manicure is the same as yours right now but i'm upping it to 18$ in may, my spa manicure is $35.

Discounting is one of the worst things you could do to yourself hun. your basically telling clients "hey i'm CHEAP". i started my prices off inexpensive and suffered for it, still do in a way, you charge what your worth! not what you think people are willing to pay. keep your prices reasonable and use quality products thats the key. discounting to "lure" them in will actually deter the clients who are willing to spend and become loyal to you most of the time. think about it when you walk by an NSS salon and see "pedicure 20$" your first thought is usually "ek what are they using that it's that cheap, can't be good". that's exactly what people could be saying about you, scary but true.

do you have a website?? since you don't have a "front store" for people to peer into, a website will provide that for you. make sure you have some pictures of your place, info, price lists etc. making sure your visible on the web will help you tremendously! even if you home based don't worry, you don't have to put your address on the site(i never did) just the general area. you also said your scared to advertise on kijiji because of wierdos or Stacey (pixelchick) said that clients are sometime scared to call because they too are worried. a website will help with this, i know my clientele from when i worked at home really loved being able to see my place before coming as we all know what some home places an look like (well at least here in Quebec where there are zero standards:p)

hope this helps!

Hi Jen,

I do have a website it's listed on my sign and I live on a very high traffic street. Maybe my lower prices did in fact deter people from thinking that I'm any good or use less than good quality products.

I definately think that prices are going up my pedis too by the way are spa for 25 crazy i know.

Thanks for all advice.

just wondering if all salon geeks can view this as I haven't gotten a lot of feedback.

Thanks again,

hi aj what part of canada are you in ? as it seems to vary a lot i know people with home salons in different provinces and no ones prices seem the same .. i think if you are cheap it will put people off, as i am from england it nearly made me cry when i saw how cheap manis and pedis are in certain places .. because my mani bk in uk would have cost the same as $60 cad , lol theres no way on earth i can charge that though

Hello Dee,

My daughter lives in Cambridge too! I live in Windsor area.

You are right about different home salons charging different. I find the ones who've worked and established themselves in a salon first are the ones that are pricier.

I feel honestly for the most part I'm happy with my prices a few need to go up yes but I need to bring in more clients and that would balance things out for me.

Latest posts

Back