Home based/mobile - which payment methods do you accept?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Wondered what you all take. I used to take just cash or cheque but as a lot of people would arrive late due to using the cash point machine beforehand, I decided about six months ago to start using BACS (bank transfer) and PayPal. This proved very popular. Most of the people who use it have been coming for years and instead of sitting there trying to get a dodgy signal quite a few used to just pay when they got home. Ah. Yes. The start of a problem lol

So..... they all pay in the end but it’s got so that now I have to keep a list of who is paying “when they get home” and tick them off, which obv is time consuming and some don’t pay until the week before their next appt although that’s rare but has happened. I esp find when they’re getting nails done before a holiday it is easily forgotten!

So I wondered what you all do .... who takes card and is it cost effective when not in a salon environment?
Thank you [emoji4]

I use PayPal Here, its their card system, no clients don't need a paypal account, they're just the provider. Money is instant, i can't remember the fees, I think its about 1.5% but its taken immediately out of the payment so no bill each month. Card reader need charging every few days but is better than the very expensive one from Worldpay zinc.

I was mainly cash cheque then I started to try ways of taking other payments.

I found PayPal / bank transfer very difficult to manage. Very reliable regular customers would think it was ok to pay me a few days later when they did their online banking leaving me the responsibility of remembering that they owed money and checking to see if they had paid. Horrible!

I now take sum up card payments. It’s even contactless and even though it costs me 1.65% per transaction, the money is in my bank at the end of the week. Wouldn’t be without it now. So much easier. I think my business used to be 50/ 50 cash / cheque. It’s now 80% card.

I take cash, debit and credit cards. i find people pay mainly cash and debit cards, credit cards towards end of month.

I've only been open for 2 years, I started off accepting cash only. Now I take the odd bank transfer and have quite a few who pay via Paypal. Clients like Paypal as once they have me set up it's just a few clicks.
I've only ever had one new client who said she would pay me when she got home. I wasn't sure what to say as that has never happened before. It was fine, thankfully!
I'm still a relatively new start up so cash and Paypal works for me at the moment.

Wondered what you all take. I used to take just cash or cheque but as a lot of people would arrive late due to using the cash point machine beforehand, I decided about six months ago to start using BACS (bank transfer) and PayPal. This proved very popular. Most of the people who use it have been coming for years and instead of sitting there trying to get a dodgy signal quite a few used to just pay when they got home. Ah. Yes. The start of a problem lol

So..... they all pay in the end but it’s got so that now I have to keep a list of who is paying “when they get home” and tick them off, which obv is time consuming and some don’t pay until the week before their next appt although that’s rare but has happened. I esp find when they’re getting nails done before a holiday it is easily forgotten!

So I wondered what you all do .... who takes card and is it cost effective when not in a salon environment?
Thank you [emoji4]

To book they use ovatu so paypal. I keep the deposits low so that the fees are low. Paypal charges are extortionate.

I used to use paypal card machine and when I sat and worked out the percentage per transaction it was often 7%! So I immediately ordered a sum up machine for £19. The fees are so low it’s barely an expense for me now.

Then I also have Bank transfer which I always ask for, and it helps as free but most prefer card as it’s easier and they can do contactless for brows and small things under £30.

I have a discount for sum up http://r.sumup.io/mpswJ

I work from home and take card payments (Sumup). The fee is so tiny! I've used them for 3.5 years and had no problems. My clients much prefer this! I actually sell quite a lot of retail and vouchers too, which I know wouldn't be as likely if I only accepted cash, so taking card has probably earned me more money.

I used to take cards when I had a large salon with several staff but the banking fees really add up so when I re-started from home (just me), my aim was not to take cards again.
There has been surprisingly little negativity from clients about this as I accept:
  • cash
  • cheques (scan in to my banking app and they clear in my account the next day)
  • bank transfer (either on their app in front of me or when they get home)
When I get a new client I ask them to bring cash for the first appointment, especially if they are a holidaymaker in our area.
Once I know them well, then I let them pay from home. Not lost a payment yet!
I sell lots of vouchers because they can pay straight to the bank and then I post the voucher to them. No need to visit the salon.

I would say that half my takings are in cash and half go straight into my bank account.

It might sound really old fashioned and I read once on a post on here that "they would never go to a salon that didn't take cards" but think about the bigger picture:
  • who is making money from the transaction - it's not you, it's the bank
  • If the bank take say 3%, you think it's ok but actually, if you raised your prices by 3%, you would be worrying what your clients would say. Why take the hit out of your profits?
  • Should we be encouraging clients to be spending on their credit cards in this climate of growing debt & 'must have it now' expectations?

I've probably annoyed lots of people with this post but my key point is - Why reduce your profit when clients WILL pay by other methods (especially when lots of them have banking apps on their smart phones).

I used to take cards when I had a large salon with several staff but the banking fees really add up so when I re-started from home (just me), my aim was not to take cards again.
There has been surprisingly little negativity from clients about this as I accept:
  • cash
When I get a new client I ask them to bring cash for the first appointment, especially if they are a holidaymaker in our area.
I sell lots of vouchers because they can pay straight to the bank and then I post the voucher to them. No need to visit the salon.

I would say that half my takings are in cash and half go straight into my bank account.

It might sound really old fashioned and I read once on a post on here that "they would never go to a salon that didn't take cards" but think about the bigger picture:
  • If the bank take say 3%, you think it's ok but actually, if you raised your prices by 3%, you would be worrying what your clients would say. Why take the hit out of your profits?
  • Should we be encouraging clients to be spending on their credit cards in this climate of growing debt & 'must have it now' expectations?

I've probably annoyed lots of people with this post but my key point is - Why reduce your profit when clients WILL pay by other methods (especially when lots of them have banking apps on their smart phones).

Completely agree with every single point you make here

I use Square and haven’t had a single issue with them, I previously used izettle.

I also use ovatu for bookings and deposits so these payments either go through Square or Paypal. PayPal charge more so I’ve tried to discourage and stop it but some clients complained so it’s back.....

Square pay into your account the following day or if the deposits exceed £50 you can transfer instantly. They also sent me an iPad holder, new card reader etc for Christmas last year. It looks very professional and whilst I’m working I have a slideshow of my work on it and clients love it.

I hate cash payments. There is no bank near me to deposit takings and for me to get change. I tried PayPal and bacs and I simply don’t have the time nor inclination to chase up/remind/check payments have been made. Many payments are contactless and the transaction is complete is seconds and they can have a receipt by text or email if they wish

One deciding factor for me... going to card payment systems to cash.. was how I feel about paying for services in cash, and I hate it.

When I pay I feel the pain of handing over £40 in cash and will leave a long gap before booking in again, where as I find card payments painless.

• cash

Good points raised.
I'm semi-rural - no banks or cash machines near by, so definitely a hassle for clients, they've told me this themselves. Sumup charge 1.6% which I feel is very reasonable and I'm pretty sure I make that back on retail sales which I don't think I'd make if I only accepted cash.
As for credit cards payments, I don't think its any of my business whether my clients use credit over debit.
I think each business needs to weigh ups the pros and cons. That goes for all business expenses ...I choose to have a website that I pay for, even though I know lots of people who work from home don't bother. For me it makes sense and I'm happy to pay the extra costs as I believe I make it back, but I appreciate its not for everyone. Each to their own.

Latest posts

Back