Home based nail salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessHens

Beauty Professional In Training
Reaction score
Hi S-Geeks,

Those who do nails from home.. Where are you set up? Do you have a separate/dedicated nail room you work out of? Do you just have a set up in a living area..

Thanks
:)

When I worked from home I used the dining room at the front of the house and had my nail desk/massage bed in there.
I moved to premises after a year as I didn’t like the idea of strangers coming to my house, and my husband was sick of playing secretary and getting the door and making drinks when my next client turned up early...
Luckily the room I got was in a shared building and was only £50 a week including bills, but it was great not having to clear all the kids toys out of the hall everytime a client was due, a lot less stressful.

To save rent paying my husband has suggested building a side extension or putting up a summerhouse on the piece of land we have at the side of the house. I’m not sure if I think it’s going to be the same problem or not so I’m hesitant.

To save rent paying my husband has suggested building a side extension or putting up a summerhouse on the piece of land we have at the side of the house. I’m not sure if I think it’s going to be the same problem or not so I’m hesitant.
Unfortunately I don’t have that luxury. My husband works away and we have no family close by to be able to help so I have to work from home as I have 2 children under 4 and single parent while he’s away working.
I also can’t put an extension on our house. Our house takes up 90% of our block and there is no room for an extension.
We have 4 bedrooms and I can make the spare room in to a beauty room but I’d have to pack it away if we had family come which only be 2-3 times a year as they live in a different state 1400km away (870miles). Then re set up the beauty area when they leave.

I was just curious as to what others do.. My aim once they children are at school is to rent a room somewhere.

My 2 kids were babies when I started too - that’s why it was easier to be based at home, but when my youngest started school nursery aged 3 I started in the separate premises.

Mine is not unique but it is a bit different.

I work from home and my lounge is large and open plan. The area that would be the dining area next to the kitchen is now my lounge, with my sofa and tv. The area that would be the lounge is larger and is where I work from.

I have a room dividing curtain between the two. Shelves that are both a display for retail and hold everything else I need. My couch stays up Mon-Fri but fold up for more space at weekends for us. My tan tent pops up when I need it. My nail table is a portable one but it stays up so it can be used as a surface too.

I don’t ever have a problem with more than one client here at once unless they are extremely early and they will wait in their car or have a stroll while waiting as they all prefer privacy. My husband has only has to help and answer the door to a client maybe 2-3 times in the last 7 years so as long as you plan and add time for between clients (I do 15mins to allow them to change, pay, leave and let me clean up and let the next one in).

The only thing I think would be a real problem is acrylics I think. I don’t do them but I used to do my own years ago and the smell does not go away for a long time. My husband would get a headache and you could smell it everywhere so I stopped doing it.

When my clients find out it’s my lounge they are mostly surprised as it doesn’t look like it and always amazed it doesn’t smell of food - I only cook smelly food when I have a day off the next day. I spend an hour each morning cleaning the whole house to make sure it’s perfect but I like it that way. I want it to smell good for clients and be clean but I also like it for myself.

You should go for it!

Ive worked from home for 3 years now and have a dedicated room.
I do find it trying at times, especially during the school holidays.
I eventually would like business premises so I could feel like I can lock the door and go home.

I have a garage detached from the house which I have converted with full planning permission from my council. My clients say it looks really professional

Unfortunately I don’t have that luxury. My husband works away and we have no family close by to be able to help so I have to work from home as I have 2 children under 4 and single parent while he’s away working.
I also can’t put an extension on our house. Our house takes up 90% of our block and there is no room for an extension.
We have 4 bedrooms and I can make the spare room in to a beauty room but I’d have to pack it away if we had family come which only be 2-3 times a year as they live in a different state 1400km away (870miles). Then re set up the beauty area when they leave.

I was just curious as to what others do.. My aim once they children are at school is to rent a room somewhere.
Can I ask what you do with your little ones when you're working? I've got a 2 year old and am about to move away from family who currently look after him when I have clients x

Can I ask what you do with your little ones when you're working? I've got a 2 year old and am about to move away from family who currently look after him when I have clients x

My daughters are 15 and 18 so I don’t have an issue with child care x

I only take clients when hubby is home or when the kids are in bed of a night or on a Friday I can take 1 client at 1:30pm as my little one has a sleep for 2-2.5 hours.. next year my oldest starts school 2 days per week so I can take a few extra clients and my little one will go in daycare 1 day per week..

I’m only just starting out in my Nail career

I work from my conservatory it’s set up and dedicated to my business.

Latest posts

Back