Home Based Salon - tanning booth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBR

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just about to embark on spray tanning at my home based salon. What I need to ask is what do you other geeks have as a booth for your clients to stand in and to catch any over spray.

I absolutely hate those pop up tents as they are so dark and very large. I don't need it to be put away as I won't be doing mobile. Ideally I would like something neat in a corner with a surface that can be wiped of any over spray. We were thinking of a wet walled panels.

Obviously I could buy the proper booth from the spray tan company but it is around £400 and a bit steep for me at this time.

Any help would be appreciated and ideally a photograph would be perfect!

Thanks very much!

This may sound a little strange but here goes....

In my beauty room i use bed sheets!

I got 2 single bed sized flat sheets in a dark brown, i then kinda doubled them up to make them thicker and sewed them together.

I bought extra strong velcro, luckily i found a beige colour that blended with the walls (it comes in white to)...I stuck a few bits along the edge of each wall where the sheets were going to be and then sewed the other part of the velcro to the sheets......does any of this make sense??!?!?

The bed sheets are slightly longer then the height of our ceiling so they hang nicely from the top of the ceiling to the floor, with a little tucked under the towel...

I have huge dark brown bath towels that go on the floor for my clients to stand on.

I have now done 2 of my tanning sheets so i can have one being washed and the other in use, and several towels that i change between each client.

I don't have them hanging up 24/7 - when i have tans booked in i hop on my chair, fix them up and voila!!! when i'm done i take it down and pop it in the wash at the end of the day.

Its great because it doesn't block out any light, its easier for the client and me to move around to!

I have 2 pop up tents for when i'm doing mobile tans and parties but i don't like using them at home

I've lent my camera to my mum but i can upload a pic next week if it helps?

Feel free to ask any questions...i probably haven't explained it well!

I thought the booths were a lot more expensive than £400 thought they wree nearer £1,500. If £400 sounds good, could you give me some more info?

Crikey I was thinking that. My booth was £1,500!

Wow Jenny, what a fabulous idea!!! I would love to see some pics please.

The towel is a fab idea and easy to wash, how clever of you!!!

xxxx

Just had another look and it's not classed as a booth only a screen. It doesn't have the air filter or anything like that but would certainly catch any overspray. Its from Tantrick at £400 +vat

This may sound a little strange but here goes....

In my beauty room i use bed sheets!

I got 2 single bed sized flat sheets in a dark brown, i then kinda doubled them up to make them thicker and sewed them together.

I bought extra strong velcro, luckily i found a beige colour that blended with the walls (it comes in white to)...I stuck a few bits along the edge of each wall where the sheets were going to be and then sewed the other part of the velcro to the sheets......does any of this make sense??!?!?

The bed sheets are slightly longer then the height of our ceiling so they hang nicely from the top of the ceiling to the floor, with a little tucked under the towel...

I have huge dark brown bath towels that go on the floor for my clients to stand on.

I have now done 2 of my tanning sheets so i can have one being washed and the other in use, and several towels that i change between each client.

I don't have them hanging up 24/7 - when i have tans booked in i hop on my chair, fix them up and voila!!! when i'm done i take it down and pop it in the wash at the end of the day.

Its great because it doesn't block out any light, its easier for the client and me to move around to!

I have 2 pop up tents for when i'm doing mobile tans and parties but i don't like using them at home

I've lent my camera to my mum but i can upload a pic next week if it helps?

Feel free to ask any questions...i probably haven't explained it well!
I don't do tanning ............. yet :green:...... as where & how to do it in my home salon is the question! However, this does sound like a brilliant and original idea. As Rose 143 said, a pic or 2 would be fab. Hope this is possible?

I'm going to my mum's tomorrow so i'll grab my camera and take some pics...they should be uploaded by tomorrow evening....so watch this space!!

Its really handy! Easy to wash, looks professional and i don't have to get my clients to stand in any funny positions to spray them!!

Just had another look and it's not classed as a booth only a screen. It doesn't have the air filter or anything like that but would certainly catch any overspray. Its from Tantrick at £400 +vat

Yes I have one of these in my home salon, it looks a lot more professional and with it being white it makes the tanning a whole lot easier. It is really simple to erect but you do really need to get the small extractor that just neatly sits to the side of mine and catches the overspray. I would highly recommend them.

A friend on mine has two large sheets of perspex screwed to the wall in one corner of her room so the perspex meetings at the walls joint if you see what I mean. She then has posters relating to her spray tanning on the wall behind the perspex. It is easily wiped down when she has finished for the day. She also uses towels for the client to stand on. I don't think it cost her much for the perspex either.

I might think about this instead of going the whole hog for a booth.

A friend on mine has two large sheets of perspex screwed to the wall in one corner of her room so the perspex meetings at the walls joint if you see what I mean. She then has posters relating to her spray tanning on the wall behind the perspex. It is easily wiped down when she has finished for the day. She also uses towels for the client to stand on. I don't think it cost her much for the perspex either.

I might think about this instead of going the whole hog for a booth.

That sounds like a really good idea, might pinch that one. Just need to find out where to get perspex now. Off to google!

Have you considered using Clear Tanning solution to make less mess?

My husband spoke to someone who told him that clear tanning solution wont turn brown unless in contact with skin, so for those with home salons, or salons they want to keep as clean as possible.

Not sure how true this is, but it was actually an American company who sell product of their own.

That sounds like a really good idea, might pinch that one. Just need to find out where to get perspex now. Off to google!

Hi have a look in B&Q Depot or somwhere like that you will only need thin sheets for this so they will be fairly cheap about 10 pounds or so per length.:)

hth

the perspex idea is a good one!
i bet it looks good with the tanning posters behind it!

Loving the perspex idea! When I started out I had a shower curtain which was hung from a curtain track going round a corner of my room. I then simply removed the curtain and washed it. I had laminate flooring so that was easy cleaned too. You can use a relatively cheap extractor sitting on the floor with a filter on to catch your overspray and again you can buy these from DIY stores keeping the cost down.
Liz

You can use a relatively cheap extractor sitting on the floor with a filter on to catch your overspray and again you can buy these from DIY stores keeping the cost down.
Liz

So Liz, what sort of extractor would I be looking for at the DIY store and at what sort of cost?

I have had my first little trip out today after my surgery to B&Q of all places (how exciting can a girls life get LOL). Anyway, point is that a piece of perspex 6 feet tall x 3 feet wide is about £30. So by the time you have bought fixings etc maybe about £70 or so - not bad really when you consider it is there all the time, takes up no space whatsoever and its easy to clean.

I have also been doing some internet research and you can get some realy groovy perspex - all pink and sparkly - lovely!

Would a shower cubicle work?

Shower cubicle probably would work pazzy but maybe more expensive?

Hi, what kind of extractors do you use?

Do they work well, and how much do they cost?

thanks

We use a pop up tanning booth but we open it & position it in a V in the corner of the room, seems to stand up better if not assembled completely.

Under the booth sides we postion a black bath mat, so it covers the floor area where spraying & doesn't show discoluration - washes well.

Really no visible overspray in our room/s from tanning except a little around outside of bath mat on the floor.

If you go to Vani-t UK website -
Vani-T - Voted best natural spray tan in Australia. 99% natural ingredients, 100% perfect spray tan. Spa quality formula.

View the tanning demonstration, it shows a tan being done with no booth & no backdrop, only a towel for model to stand on. Next to no overspray.
I havn't found the need for an extraction fan with this particular system either.

HtH

XX J XX

Latest posts

Back