Home based salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebekahsBeauty

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have set up my tanning business & hoping to go further with the beauty industry and study new skills e.g Lash treatments,waxing etc.

I have a garage on the side of my house and was thinking of doing it up as my home salon. But as you can guess its pretty cold out there, needs wooden flooring. And the walls are brick i was wondering if anyone would have any ideas whether i should leave the walls as they are and get a heater in there or would i have to plaster the walls?

Has anyone else done this in their own home?
Any ideas or tips would be great
thanks x

i think it is preffrence really you can make it look really nice stiil with the brick work showing with nice pictures and posters a or you can have it plastered and paint and decorate the walls depends how you want it too look really?

You could try sitting in your garage for an hour and see how cold and draughty it is LOL (only slightly joking). All garages are different - you might have a howling gale coming in through your front door which would make it really unpleasant to try and have a relaxing treatment.

Do you have someone you could ask about the possibility of insulating it.

As it is it would probably cost you a fortune in electricity to heat it.

Saying that there are lots of people who do convert garages into treatment rooms.

You could try sitting in your garage for an hour and see how cold and draughty it is LOL (only slightly joking). All garages are different - you might have a howling gale coming in through your front door which would make it really unpleasant to try and have a relaxing treatment.

Do you have someone you could ask about the possibility of insulating it.

As it is it would probably cost you a fortune in electricity to heat it.

Saying that there are lots of people who do convert garages into treatment rooms.

Lol dont think i would like to sit in there its soo cold. My mum has rang the council in which they are coming to sort out the doors so they will be ok.
I dont know who to ask at all, not sure which person to go to, or whether its a diy job or a professionals work.
Heating is a big problem not sure if i could get a raidiator to be put in?xx

imo....i would get a plaster in and see how much it would cost to do....you could have 2 problems...1) VERY COLD...and just putting 2 heaters up would not heat it....2) people might think you just turned your garage into a treatment room with no money spent on it....PLEASE dont get offened....my dad was a builder...so i learnt some!!!!....if your gonna do a job hun do it properly xxxx:hug:

imo....i would get a plaster in and see how much it would cost to do....you could have 2 problems...1) VERY COLD...and just putting 2 heaters up would not heat it....2) people might think you just turned your garage into a treatment room with no money spent on it....PLEASE dont get offened....my dad was a builder...so i learnt some!!!!....if your gonna do a job hun do it properly xxxx:hug:

Thanks for your advice, very helpfull!..I will ring one tommorow see what he can do it may take some saving but will be worth it. Its a lovely sized garage which has no use to it at all..So im going to snap it up lol xx

Thanks for your advice, very helpfull!..I will ring one tommorow see what he can do it may take some saving but will be worth it. Its a lovely sized garage which has no use to it at all..So im going to snap it up lol xx
good for you hun....get some plasters in and see which one will give you the best price....you want your clients to walk into a lovely room and they will if you spend some money on it....good luck huni xxx

hiya ... what you need to find out is if the garage has a cavity or not....(double brick with 50mm gap)...if it does then it can be insulated...if not and its single brick then it cant....garages are usually single brick.

(hubby a cavity wall insulator....can you tell...:lol:)

Lol dont think i would like to sit in there its soo cold. My mum has rang the council in which they are coming to sort out the doors so they will be ok.
I dont know who to ask at all, not sure which person to go to, or whether its a diy job or a professionals work.
Heating is a big problem not sure if i could get a raidiator to be put in?xx

Does this mean it is a council house?

You might need their permission if it is before doing any renovations.

Does this mean it is a council house?

You might need their permission if it is before doing any renovations.

Yes its a council house. Ill have to get my mum to find out.xx

i know it varies from area to area but some councils are funny about you working from home like this
ask first

i know it varies from area to area but some councils are funny about you working from home like this
ask first

Yeah i know, ill get onto them tommorow and see if its okxx

Hiya

Working from home is great especially if you have your own treatment room aside - as it looks a lot more professional!

Just a few pointers as my friends and myself have been through what your trying to set up!

For the fact that it is a council house, you have to be careful because my friend had a council house with her family and she asked the council permission to do treatments at home and they rejected her. They said that it breaches the terms and conditions in which you got the council house in the first place.

Also the council take into account if you are paying rent and council tax - because being in a council house it is discounted & they are not too pleased if you are setting up a business as my friend learnt the hard way!

My friend still went ahead with her business even though the council did not give her permission. The council then found out as it is quite a small town. She recieved a fine and also had to pay full council tax and rent to make up what they claimed she should have paid because she owned her own business!

I think i read on another post that your 16? sorry if thats wrong but you may have to consider that your parents may be recieving child tax credit/child benefit? because if thats the case then your parents will not be entitled to it unless your still in full time education till the age of 19.

Another thing is that if you registered yourself as self employed with your national insurance number and your paying council tax/rent etc they will see how much your potentially earning so you maybe liable for full rent etc.

My local council came round and inspected my treatment room to make sure it met all health and safety regualtions. I have my front door and then steps which lead to my treatment room. You have to check if your insurance covers you. Sometimes i have heard that they do mystery inspections where they pretend to be a client and come in for a treatment and then that way they find out all the info about you.

Im sorry if this sounds a nag but i would hate for you to get fined etc like my friend did. I hope everything goes well for you, but before you do anything make sure you have all the information you need before you commit to anything.

hope this helps
x

Hiya

Working from home is great especially if you have your own treatment room aside - as it looks a lot more professional!

Just a few pointers as my friends and myself have been through what your trying to set up!

For the fact that it is a council house, you have to be careful because my friend had a council house with her family and she asked the council permission to do treatments at home and they rejected her. They said that it breaches the terms and conditions in which you got the council house in the first place.

Also the council take into account if you are paying rent and council tax - because being in a council house it is discounted & they are not too pleased if you are setting up a business as my friend learnt the hard way!

My friend still went ahead with her business even though the council did not give her permission. The council then found out as it is quite a small town. She recieved a fine and also had to pay full council tax and rent to make up what they claimed she should have paid because she owned her own business!

I think i read on another post that your 16? sorry if thats wrong but you may have to consider that your parents may be recieving child tax credit/child benefit? because if thats the case then your parents will not be entitled to it unless your still in full time education till the age of 19.

Another thing is that if you registered yourself as self employed with your national insurance number and your paying council tax/rent etc they will see how much your potentially earning so you maybe liable for full rent etc.

My local council came round and inspected my treatment room to make sure it met all health and safety regualtions. I have my front door and then steps which lead to my treatment room. You have to check if your insurance covers you. Sometimes i have heard that they do mystery inspections where they pretend to be a client and come in for a treatment and then that way they find out all the info about you.

Im sorry if this sounds a nag but i would hate for you to get fined etc like my friend did. I hope everything goes well for you, but before you do anything make sure you have all the information you need before you commit to anything.

hope this helps
x

Thanks thats a good bit of advice and help. My mum doesnt get any child benefits anymore they stopped as i reached 16.
If they do reject me i wont go ahead with it, so i was wondering where could i base my treatment room? I was thinking of my spare bedroom just to do the tans in?xx

Hiya

hope this helps
x
wow fab advice hun.exactly what i was gonna say!
im in the middle of researching about setting up my business this year/next year too . i own my own home but have only got a tiny 3rd room to use as a treatment room as my daughter will be having the second biggest room next year .(i am tempted to keep her in the tiny nursery tho lol!) do u think it would be unproffesional if i used my dining room as a treatment room instead? thhe front foor leads straigt to it and i have a sink in the next room.

just wonfered what ur thouts would be on this . sorry to highjack ur thread rebekah!!!!!!xx

sorry about the bad spelling my daughter who is 18 months took some of the keys off the laptop !

Hi Rebekah

I have recently set up at home as a beauty therapist and I am moving home soon.
I will be converting the garage into a salon.

I have had a garage converted before and it wasnt too pricey. The walls need insulating and you could probably run a radiator off the main house system.

You will also need to contact your local authority, You probably wont need planning permission but you will need to follow building regulations and you may need permission to change it into a livable room.

I hope this info helps

Valerie

wow fab advice hun.exactly what i was gonna say!
im in the middle of researching about setting up my business this year/next year too . i own my own home but have only got a tiny 3rd room to use as a treatment room as my daughter will be having the second biggest room next year .(i am tempted to keep her in the tiny nursery tho lol!) do u think it would be unproffesional if i used my dining room as a treatment room instead? thhe front foor leads straigt to it and i have a sink in the next room.

just wonfered what ur thouts would be on this . sorry to highjack ur thread rebekah!!!!!!xx

Thanks ok hunni!:hug: I think the dining room would be fine, as long as theres reasonable space , then i think that would be ok.Im thinking of using my spare room it does have a unused bed in it and wardrobes (with mirrors) and a dressing table its really huge my spare room xx

Hi Rebekah

I have recently set up at home as a beauty therapist and I am moving home soon.
I will be converting the garage into a salon.

I have had a garage converted before and it wasnt too pricey. The walls need insulating and you could probably run a radiator off the main house system.

You will also need to contact your local authority, You probably wont need planning permission but you will need to follow building regulations and you may need permission to change it into a livable room.

I hope this info helps

Valerie

Thank you very much valerie! Sounds very good i will have to contact my council see if they will (which i hope they do allow me) if not i would have to use the spare room xxx

Iv been to places where some people do it in their dining room/living room and to be honest it doesnt bother me. As long as the treatment is enjoyable then i dont see why not! The problem is keeping it tidy all the time! LOL!:lol:

Mobile is always am option if you are offering spray tanning as there isnt alot to carry around. Or spray pamper parties are even better - you can do loads of clients under 1 roof and it hardly takes any time at all. Plus all the friends get to catch up with each other!

As for rebecca - sorry if i spelt your name wrong. One of my friends has a room divider, its sort of like a curtain which splits up your room, so you can have one half as your bedroom and the other half as your treatment area. that way no1 really sees your bedroom! I dont know what they called but my cousin uses a really long curtain pole with curtains as she has a big room and to me it looks professional! plus once you get regular clients they are not gonna mind! They come to you for your service not on how everything looks!

x

Latest posts

Back