Home based salons, does this happen to you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj1

Reaction score
I find it really hard that I am home based for this one reason. I have clients that have an appointment and I find that after their appointment they just hang around. Like for example, last night I had a pedi at 6, I did her pedi, with a paraffin and art and she was done in an hour, I realise it's hard when it's winter and they have to be completely dry before putting shoes on, but this is ridiculous. She didn't leave until 7:45 last night. Is this part of the biz, am I just being a complainer?

Mmmm... i do gel and its completely dry when i have finished so they can put there shoes on no probs.

All i can suggest is that when they book to ask them to wear open toe flip flops or something...i know its cold out but its not for long is it...xx

I'd just say "do you need to call someoe to pick you up or would you like help to your car" they should get the hint.

Im in a salon, and usually booked back to back, so my clients are used to being booted out into reception lol.

Because I work only in the evenings, I dont think I can help much.
I usually just yawn a couple of times :lol: if they dawdle.
And they say "I'm sorry, I'm keeping you from your bed" :lol:

Or I'll pull out my book and say, "well since you're dry now, before you set off, how about we set your next appointment?" For dawdlers, keep that for last.

hth's:hug:

Good advice,

To let your client know when its time to finish you must close the sale-

Ask if everything is to their satisfaction. If not rectify.
Check again if everythings dry.
Book next appointment
Ask if theres anything they need to stock up on
Mention any changes or promo's you have.
Total the amount owing - Recieve payment.
Mark all on client record card.
Ask if there's anything you can do to assist their departure [call cab/use ph/assistance to transport within reason]

HtH

XX J XX

maybe have some disposable flip flops.

also i hear that applying cuticle oil generously and putting some plastic wrap on toes protects polish when you put shoes back on. havent tried it, but its a thought.

This client had her flip flops with her last night, she just wanted to wait until she was dry enough to put her closed shoes on. It takes time to be completely dry, I did the oil and saran wrap method but I just assumed she would stick her tootsies in her flops and out you go.

I love to do pedi's in the summer because they don't linger around waiting for them to dry.

Thanks for all your responses,

aj

This client had her flip flops with her last night, she just wanted to wait until she was dry enough to put her closed shoes on. It takes time to be completely dry, I did the oil and saran wrap method but I just assumed she would stick her tootsies in her flops and out you go.

I love to do pedi's in the summer because they don't linger around waiting for them to dry.

Thanks for all your responses,

aj

sounds like she just couldnt take the hint, maybe she has a miserable home life.
on the upside, it shows you provide a nice environment to be in .

Yes, I've had this many times - very annoying as you have things to get on with.

Was she waiting for the polish to dry (which is fairly understandable), or was she just literally hanging around?

She was waiting for her toes to dry completely before putting her closed shoes on. I mean it's winter and it's cold, not everyone likes sandals in the smack dab of winter like me.:smack:

(She did have sandals with her though)

Hiya

All clients in for nail paint, tan or anything that may need drying time

1. ask for money up front(explain its so they dont get new painted nails damaged)get car keys etc ready for them at the end
2. check they have suitable open toe shoes for pedi etc(also do this on the phone when app is made) if not sell them some(buy them from Ellisons etc)
3. if they have wet nails (offer help with seat belt and take coat bag keys out to car for them)they will follow you
5. during treatment drop in conversation that you are going out.
6. if all else fails...dont leave these clients as your last in the day
good luck
Jenx

Great advice Jen, really nice, however I am lucky to have 4-5 clients in a week. I wish I could do that, sigh,,,,,,maybe one day!

Im not doing nails yet but will bare that in mind. Im the other way as clients always turn up late which makes me angrey as only have 2 hours till pick up son from school and not want to rush .

You could arrange for a friend/neighbour to come round pretending to be your next appointment. Touble is, if you've got things to do, you might not be able to get rid of her either!!!

I use Creative UV Dry on all my clients toes and then I have a UV lamp on a wide footstall for them to cook in....hey presto ready to go!

Sam

I've had this too when I worked from home.

On one visit by a client to my house (for a pedicure), I noticed that she was looking around my house...having a "right nose" in fact. During a quiet moment she exclaimed......."how do you clean all these things".........(cheeky!!). I felt really "intruded" - after all she was a guest in my house, albeit a paying one.

There is a lot to be said for leaving working from home behind. Now that I have a lovely salon, the only "observation" questions I get are "how much is that" etc etc.

Also, they are welcome to stay in the salon as long as they want as long as they are:
1. having treatments
2. not over-lapping into my next booking
3. spending money!

Home is home, and salon is salon (to quote Kosta like in Shirley Valentine).

Eva

And if all else fails.....pull out your hair dryer...lol! This probably sounds pretty darn funny but I swear it works like a dream. I do that alot. I can't see spending 200 bucks on a good nail/toe dryer when my 20 buck hair dryer works just as well!

Lol, hey when you're desperate, your desperate!!

aj

Latest posts

Back