Home based waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZaynaG

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here and I'm new to the industry...
I've finished my waxing course and can't wait to start working from home. I live in a rented property so can't do many changes here in terms of decorating etc, however, I've ordered a room divider which will help to create a room for waxing services in my bedroom. I'm a little bit anxious if it this ok in your opinion? We are saving for deposit so when we buy our own property, I would create a proper - salon-like room that will look very professional but for now will have to use what I have.
Just looking for a little bit of support and/or advice, anyone done the same?

Thank you x

Hi,

As I client, I don't think I would want to get waxed in someone's bedroom. A separate room would be better. Have you considered mobile until you can get something more appropriate?

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have though about being mobile, I'm struggling to find a good trolley that I can take with me (to place the wax heater on and other necessities) and to carry all that from the car to someone's home. I have a portable beauty couch.

My bedroom is quite big so it wouldn't be the case that my bed and personal belongings would be on display. The room divider would hide all of it leaving me half of the room for beauty couch, trolley etc., so like a beauty corner....

Hi, you need quite a bit of space for a beauty corner, don’t forget you need space for your client and her coat and stuff. Roughly just under 7ft X 8ft I’d have thought.

I’d set up without the room divider and double check space before you commit to a divider. It’s also not Covid secure to bring clients into a personal space. I’m not sure what the regulations are at present in the U.K. for home salons. The guidelines don’t allow this, but they aren’t binding.

it’s perfectly practical to use furniture to divide rooms. I’ve done this several times. I’ve even worked in a salon where one large room was split into 2 treatment rooms using furniture. You could consider IKEA units. I had some stacked to above head height. Because they are 40cm (ish) deep, they are stable. I used a selection of pull out storage cubes and folded towels to fill the unit to screen. You can get a tension rod and hang a Muslin net curtain or use a folding screen to extend your furniture divider. I have a lovely carved screen that is now my headboard which was once used as a privacy screen.

My main concern is drips on the floor. You’ll trash your carpet! You need to get a vinyl rug or strip and put this down along the long side of your couch. Wax standing on one side of the couch.

You also need to consider hygiene. Your client will be walking barefoot on your floor so how are you going to sanitise in between clients? You may have a polypropylene carpet which you can usually bleach - (you needn’t do that, I just mean they are very robust). You can spray your floor with hydrochlorous acid which you make yourself using an electrified water machine. Ravair sell one. You may think you can put down a mat for your client, but clients never stand where you put them and wander around, which is irritating.

You also need to consider that clients won’t treat your bedroom space respectfully, they’ll come in with muddy shoes, knock over their half drunk coffee, or be surprised to discover they’ve started their period...

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. You made some very valid points. I am looking into getting a vinyl floor covering or something similar, that I can cover the section of the room where I would be working (as long as it looks neat). I'll see how the room divider looks when it arrives (should be next week). It suppose to be big enough to divide a whole room (wall to wall).
I've ordered a uniform for myself so it should also arrive next week. I want clients to feel like they are having a salon-like experience despite being in someone's home. I've also started registration with treatwel to help me to build a client base, however, they don't support mobile therapists and it will only work if I'm home based.

In regards to Covid, in the UK salons and mobile therapists are allowed to operate now and hopefully all restrictions will be lifted as of mid June so not long to go.

I really need this to work. I still work part time as an account coordinator in a recruitment company and I hate my job. Trying to juggle time constantly between work and my 3-year old is exhausting. So I've decided to put my big girls pants on and put myself out there.

I truly appreciate all comments, suggestions and critique - this is much needed! x

Personally, if I were starting off as you in this situation I would start off only doing family and friends, or even friends of friends. Because they will be more understanding of your situation. The last thing you want to do is have a client come and expect to come to a house, and especially a house without a dedicated treatment room. I'm looking at this from two angles here, and you may think I'm talking double standards because I have actually run my home-based clinic for over 12 years. A few years after I started I rented a place in town and all my clients left me until I went back home. They prefer to come to my home because it was more discrete than walking into a clinic. I do a lot of men as well, but whomever you are doing, it's not a professional look to do it in a room that is obviously your bedroom. It would give the opposite sex the wrong idea if you intend to do them. This could well become a personal safety issue if you do. They will see all your personal belonging like photos, and some clients are just weird and stalky. This is why it's important to have a dedicated room as it looks more professional, and you can clean it properly as well. Some clients are mingers, and I have often refused to do them because of personal hygiene issues. You don't want that in your bedroom. We also currently have much more infection control rules to think about because of what's happening, so it may be impractical. Think about getting a roll on system and doing mobile for a while, it might be better, and you'd have a competitive edge being mobile, and you could even do waxing partys. Obviously, post-pandemic. Hope this helps. Nicky x

Hi Nicky,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've had some time off...

I've actually managed to rearrange my flat so I now actually have a spare room for waxing. And I just booked my first client for full body wax in 2 weeks time. I get a lot more attention as a mobile service provider than home-based so I'm keeping my options open at the moment.

I can't find a good trolley that I can use for mobile waxing. I need a flat bed one to keep wax upright and sturdy so it doesn't leek out. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, I get a lot of requests from men.....everyone seems to be interested if I do male intimate waxing.... Is this really a thing now? Or are they being creepy? Some of them seem genuine....or am I being naive?

Thank you x

Zayna x

Also, I get a lot of requests from men.....everyone seems to be interested if I do male intimate waxing.... Is this really a thing now? Or are they being creepy? Some of them seem genuine....or am I being naive?

Hi Zayna (If you don't mind me jumping in)

Male waxing is definitely popular and there are waxers on here that have a large male client base.

I've been waxing for about 2 years and so far I haven't had one genuine male client. I've had plenty of enquiries, but every single one had bad intentions. The guys I have dealt with have been very pushy, won't take no for an answer and seem to think there are "extras" including in a waxing service. I've now reject all male enquiries.

This isn't to say that all men are like this, as I said, it's really popular and quite a good money-maker, but just be careful and trust your gut

Hi Kyralouise,

Thank you for your message. I've been rejecting them all as well as I simply don't trust men - I'm working in logistics industry at the moment and all clients I deal with are men and I have received half - nude photos of them via linked in .... bare in mind I don't even see them face to face (all communications are via phone or email), so I've learned to expect the worst from them.

It's a shame as I wouldn't mind to have male clients but I'm just worried about the possible consequences.

Zayna x

Latest posts

Back