Home courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prionace

Akzentz Geek
Reaction score
Hi! I´m from Portugal and i´m interested in becoming a nail tech, since here we have no regulations about nail services, and since i can't seem to find a course that teaches gel nails i´ve been considering taking a home course with essential nails (sames as Gina Wallace in the U.S.A.), but i wonder if they're any good... Does anyone here done one? Or have an opinion about them?

http://www.ginawallace.com/

Check this site out..it's full of good info.

I don't know anything about the gel home learn, but I have done the acrylic tip and overlay. I chose that as I was unable to attend a course due to child care issues. Personally I loved it! But it takes a long time to be good and you need to be aware of trying not to pick up bad habits.

If you are really serious about being a great tech then the home learn will only be the start of your education. Will you be able to find a gel tech who could mentor you? or even offer 1-2-1 training to hone your skills? Is it possible to travel to the UK for training?

I would also reccomend buying a few books
Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by D Schoon
Enclclopedia of Nails by Jefford & Swaine
The Complete Nail Technician by M Newman

HTH :)

I am currently doing the gel home learn course. It is really good and i am really enjoying it. BUT i am going to do the creation course later in the year when i can get away as it will mean me staying away as there isnt one near me.

Home learn is good but i dont think it replaces being in the class room and having someone to ask aand being able to watch demonstrations. Im probably not explaining it very well but i would recomend a course in a class room

Gina Wallace is the same as Essential Nail in Europe, the only diference is that in Europe we don't have any restritions to who can do nails... So the diferent site and slitly diferent courses. They're site is
www.essentialnails.com

essential nails is the course that i am doing in the UK

I wasn't aware that the courses are any differrent?? :confused: What is the difference?

It seems that to be a tech in the USA you must have 350hrs of training, i dont know who that's counted with the Gina Wallace courses, the rest is exactly the same (or so i think)

I did the home learn acrylic tip and overlay and got the videos for the sculpting and airbrushing courses as well. I wouldn't bother with the airbrush one personally but I do think the home learn system with the Nail Trainer is excellent as I would never have found enough models to get confident. You do have to be comitted enough to practice lots and the videos are great for going back to. If you choose the home learn course - try and get to sit with an experienced tech, or get your own nails done - so you can get an idea of what the completed nails should look like.

Hope this helps.

A;)

I completed the Creative Foundation Course and thought I would add to my skills with the Essential Nails Airbrush Course.

By accident they sent the Acrylic course which I had to have a look at (Im naturally nosey!) and the video which comes with it.

My conclusion was that Im so glad I had chosen the Creative Foundation. It did cost more but included rebalancing which you must pay extra for as a seperate course with Essential. Also some of the practises on the video were in conflict with what I learnt on the Creative course.

I also found the quality of tools (esp Brush) quite disappointing to what we had been given as part of the Creative Foundation.

I myself found it highly beneficial to have a 'mentor' who could correct me as I went along and also answer my many questions! It was definately worth flying back to the UK for.

Anyway I sent the acrylic course back and got the airbrushing course which I have found excellent. Easy to follow with a very good standard of equipment. You cant ruin anyones nails with a bit of paint!!

So theres my experience and I obviously take note that some guys really liked the Essentials course but I know it wouldnt have been for me!

for me it was a question of timing ...... i couldnt get away until towards the end of the year which is why i am doing the home course but i really want to go on the creative one.

you are right in that some of the tools are not very good first thing i did was buy a new brush and tip cutter i have replaced a few other things aswell. The creative foundation course isnt much more money but from what i have read in the info i recived very much worth doing. i spoke to a lovely lady at the accadamy and nothing was to much trouble for her so by the end of the year i will be there (thats i promise i have made to myself)

Thanks for that Prionace :)

VanessaB..I can understand your reaction to some of the tools in the kit. I ditched the brush pretty much straight away and went through about 4 different ones before I settled on the one I have now. I changed my files and dappen dish too. I also use different prep products. I bought a tip cutter too as I didn't like the clipper that was advised to use. ...eeekkk seems like I pretty much substituted a while load of stuff, although I still use pinnacle as I "get on" with it very well. I find it gives great results.

I did not try the product (Pinnacle) so I cannot comment on its performance but I find Creative is fantastic. Plus the aftersales is excellent too. No question is too small. When you live abroad and need to speak to someone I find that invaluble.

I would have been very disappointed to have to replace all the kit I had just paid for! I took me ages to save up as it was!

I don't think you can go far wrong if you take a creative course and then buy a nail trainer to practice on. IMHO!

:)

If you do a Creative foundation course, it comes with a Nail Trainer.

Well there you go then!

Praps Creative should think about making vids for us people out in the bush who can't get to a classroom?

A:(

There is Winning Nails, SpaManicure and SpaPedicure as well as Brisa videos out. ;)

I decided to go ahead and try the essential nail home course. It seems i don't have many options and i'm getting pretty good reviews on them. I'm wishing for the best. I'll tell you as it goes.

I have just read my above post and I think I made it seem like the EN kit was pants..but it's not really! The kit has everything you need, although you may need some more tips and NT nails (which they are upfront aobut in the literature) I chose to replace some of the products because I read so many good things (from the internet and magazines) about the products and tools that I use now. I tried many different things and now have mainly settled on my fave things.

Hi All
(Mandi, thanks for recommending my book. A new one come out this summer)

A good home learn course should provide you with a great deal of the theory and practical instruction to get used to using the 'system' and creating the perfect shape (all of which is essential). BUT..what you must bare in mind are all the aspects of working with real people and their nails.

For example: you need to understand the results of your preparation work on all nail types (and people types), you need to know what is comfortable for your client with respect to holding fingers, buffing etc., how to diagnose the cause of problems (technician or client cause), how to recognise the difference between the "it just fell off" and the real cause of picking it off! Plus many more.

You cannot beat the learning opportunity of the maintenance treatments especially if there is support and help from an experienced technician.

Practice, practice, practice on using the products and creating the perfect shape but do not think this can totally replace the practice on lots of real people and real nails.

Marian

I received my course some days ago (i already posted my 1st set in My first set ever thread) and just wanted to tell you that i do not regret one bit getting this course, i'm loving it so far, it makes everything quite simple and except for glueing tips on, witch i find sometimes tricky, i seem to be getting along quite nicely. And i can't get my hand off it :) Since i got it i spend every single free time i have practising :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back