home hair colour & highlighting kits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi guys

In boots today and just got a cheapy colour to put on my hair (the grey is coming:irked::irked::irked:)

I only ever get a semi permanent / wash out thing.

I have however seen these colours you put on ...and then highlight your hair individually with a 'wand' or similar thingy ma bob.

Would you steer clear these?

Anyone used them before?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys

In boots today and just got a cheapy colour to put on my hair (the grey is coming:irked::irked::irked:)

I have however seen these colours you put on ...and then highlight your hair individually with a 'wand' or similar thingy ma bob.

Anyone used them before?

Thanks in advance

stay clear amb - this is what turned my hair orange (no way did i finish up looking like the bird on the box)

took a while for hairdresser to sort it out too - so for highlights i stick to my hairdresser from now on! xx

i did wonder !!!

I spose its the hair equivalent to the rio kit !

thanks !

dont do it, i have had 2 nightmares
one was with those kits you put the colour on then use the wand to put on the highlights....ended up going for a colour correction..
then monday.....9% peroxide........ended up going for another colour correction.
amb those kits made my hair look so brassy, my hair looked mingin

dont do it, i have had 2 nightmares
one was with those kits you put the colour on then use the wand to put on the highlights....ended up going for a colour correction..
then monday.....9% peroxide........ended up going for another colour correction.
amb those kits made my hair look so brassy, my hair looked mingin

thanks hunny

amb x

I've used the Garnier one before, just the highlighting one, and it turned out great, just to brighten up my hair - did exactly what it said on the tin!:lol:

My hairdresser thought they were natural highlights from the sun! LOL

Good answers guys.
Yes. Stay clear. Even if you use this on natural virgin hair, your hair has to be of a certain tones to get the results. That is what we hair geeks go to school just a few hours for to know the tones and underlying pigments.

Rach: simply said. You Got Lucky...very very lucky.

Look at the odds..out of three of you who used it: only 1 had it turned out right. Not very good odds if you ask me.

At the end of the day, when you screwed up your color to save a few pennies, You end up at the other end of the stick and pay more for what you wanted. Think about it.

Amber,i am very dissapointed in you :smack:

Hi guys

Anyone used them before?

Thanks in advance

Have your visa or Mastercard ready before you try a do it yourself highlight kit!! We just luvvvvv clients like this!!! LOL, it costs 3-5 times more than a regular highlight service and usually takes all day. If you like your regular stylist and want to give her a nice summer bonus go ahead, better yet, come over and let my students take care of you!!!

Of course we are not gonna recommend them.

They are a shop bought product and I thought the whole point people keep making about this site is that it is professional.

As I have just spent 4 hours at my Hairdressers today changing from very very dark...to a highlighted dark blonde again....I would advise going to the professionals every time.

I loved my very dark hair....but I hated my grey/white roots showing after what seemed like just a week.
Major job apparently...going from very dark to light, whilst still trying to cover the aforementioned roots!!!

Roots got done a lighter colour.....the I got light full head highlights (using the cap..ouch!)....then a toner on the highlights....so all in all I was there for 4 hours. Next time I can go a bit lighter as well, but we have to do it gradually.

Over the years I have had several disasters with OTC colours...NEVER AGAIN!

Always trust the professionals Mink!!!

As I have just spent 4 hours at my Hairdressers today changing from very very dark...to a highlighted dark blonde again....I would advise going to the professionals every time.

I loved my very dark hair....but I hated my grey/white roots showing after what seemed like just a week.
Major job apparently...going from very dark to light, whilst still trying to cover the aforementioned roots!!!

Roots got done a lighter colour.....the I got light full head highlights (using the cap..ouch!)....then a toner on the highlights....so all in all I was there for 4 hours. Next time I can go a bit lighter as well, but we have to do it gradually.

Over the years I have had several disasters with OTC colours...NEVER AGAIN!

Always trust the professionals Mink!!!

where are the pics then Izzi?

Of course we are not gonna recommend them.

They are a shop bought product and I thought the whole point people keep making about this site is that it is professional.

I have to just say in Ambers defence that she was asking this question with women in mind and not just proffesionals...

we as women try lots of different things....i know i do....we like to share what we thought was good and what was rubbish....lots of times i have heard groups of women asking "have you tried this and that"....and i think thats all Amber was doing....

YES this is a professional site and Amber got some great professional advise from the Hair geeks ... so that just goes to prove the success of this site and the professionals on it...but lets not start making people feel bad for asking a question. :)

I can understand where Minkus was coming from and her question was answered but it is still out side of the limits of what is stated by the geek.
Read this thread before posting
Welcome to the Hair Geek Forums

I wanted to reinforce a couple of important points regarding the use of this forum so please give this a quick gander before creating new threads or new posts.

This is a forum for professional Hair Geeks. That does not mean that you can not post unless you are a pro; it means that you must treat it as a professional forum.

If you are not a hair professional:

* Do not recommend products or procedures (especially OTC and DIY products or procedures. This is a professional forum NOT a DIY shop)
* Do not ask which 'DIY' kits or 'OTC' products to use in performing a treatment on yourself or on a friend

Otherwise, feel free to participate in discussions and contribute constructively. The whole point of bringing Hair, Skin and Nails together was to learn from one another

nJoy
my profile | the FAQ | help using the site
I can understand why others would get upset.I.myself just shake my head at these questions.
We are not seeing hair geeks or skin geeks on the Nail forums saying how we went to our local store and bought sally hansen do it yourself acrylic nails and how well do they hold up :) We respect that industry and the professionalism of others

I could only imagine what flack we would get for that.:lol:

YES this is a professional site and Amber got some great professional advise from the Hair geeks ... so that just goes to prove the success of this site and the professionals on it...but lets not start making people feel bad for asking a question. :)
All it proves is the patience of hair geeks.:lol:
This question was exactly what the the above post by the geek was saying not to do.

And actually I didn't see nor read amber feeling bad at all. Do you know something we don't?:suprised:

Well said, JDs.

Amb,sorry if i have made you feel bad,i was just having a bit of fun mate xx

blimey o'reilly !!!

No offense taken guys !:hug: i think i kinda knew the answer b4 i asked the question !!!!

i SHANT be buying one !!

Thanks

amb xx

blimey o'reilly !!!

No offense taken guys !:hug: i think i kinda knew the answer b4 i asked the question !!!!

i SHANT be buying one !!

Thanks

amb xx
Darn!! You have effectively taken a lovely summer bonus right out of someone's pocket, Oh well, guess the regular highlight price will have to do:cry::hug: It will certainly take less time, so I guess it's worth it!

Latest posts

Back