Home Insurance working from Home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatBird

Reaction score
Hi! I’m in the UK. I recently qualified as a Nail Technician through The Beauty Academy online. I’ve got quotes for Nail Tech insurance, all good. Went to see if I needed to notify my home insurance that I am considering working from home, 2-3 clients a week (I homeschool my autistic daughter and I have a neuro condition so can’t do loads), just to give me my own small income, my insurer said they may not be able to cover us anymore if I went forward with it. Ok. So I then looked at other providers and it DOUBLED my premiums!!! Have you all found this? If so this is not financially viable for me. Bit annoying lol
34C8CAF5-43EC-4DD7-88DC-824973B5B2D9.jpeg

Hello Natbird and welcome to Salongeek

I used to be an insurance professional. Insurance premiums are based on a lot of factors so you must have been unlucky,

Try contacting the organisation that arranges your professional insurance and see if they offer a better deal for your home insurance. You need a separate professional policy in addition to home insurance. Paying monthly might be a better option - there’s usually a charge for this, but it it does help with cash flow.

Good luck building your business, working from home works great for lots of Mums. Have a read through the old threads - you’ll see lots of newbies asking for help or advice after they’ve had a problem and it’s a great way of learning about pitfalls in advance.

Hello Natbird and welcome to Salongeek

I used to be an insurance professional. Insurance premiums are based on a lot of factors so you must have been unlucky,

Try contacting the organisation that arranges your professional insurance and see if they offer a better deal for your home insurance. You need a separate professional policy in addition to home insurance. Paying monthly might be a better option - there’s usually a charge for this, but it it does help with cash flow.

Good luck building your business, working from home works great for lots of Mums. Have a read through the old threads - you’ll see lots of newbies asking for help or advice after they’ve had a problem and it’s a great way of learning about pitfalls in advance.
Thank you so much! I have decided to go with Direct line for professional insurance if it is financially viable to run from my house, they quoted me £520/yr 😵‍💫😱😵‍💫😱 which is just utterly insane. I’m just waiting on Towergate to get back to me. Hopefully my current insurer will be ok with it

Can you not get professional insurance from a professional body?

I don’t have a sole trader, working from home policy, but I’d have assumed they were much less. Maybe others will share what they pay. For comparison, I pay around twice that to insure a salon, staff, equipment and furniture in the centre of a City, including lost income if we have to close for repairs because of a fire or something. And I’m in a listed, very old building, near a river! (Insurers hate rivers, especially in a City that’s had lots of floods over the years).

If you’re not eligible for a trade policy because you don’t have a verified level 2 qualification, maybe shop around and find a private training school who will train you. You can get student insurance as soon as you sign up for around £100 so you may save you money even though you are paying for training.

Most beauty policies are “schemes” set up by various beauty organisations through a broker and underwritten by a good insurer. The broker will be hoping to get additional home and car insurance business and will have the right schemes for those in business.

I have professional insurance with Balens at £196.92/yr, and home insurance with LV at £139.08/yr. LV know I work from home and this insurance covers one client at a time coming into my home. £336 in total.

That’s brilliant. Thank you 🫶🏼

I have insurance through Salon Gold and it was £53 but is due for renewal soon so prices may have gone up. I would definitely shop around as above price sounds excessive to me. It could be even cheaper if you are only doing nails, mine covers other beauty treatments.

Not sure who our house insurance is with but it wasn't hugely more expensive when we changed.

I have insurance through Salon Gold and it was £53 but is due for renewal soon so prices may have gone up. I would definitely shop around as above price sounds excessive to me. It could be even cheaper if you are only doing nails, mine covers other beauty treatments.

Not sure who our house insurance is with but it wasn't hugely more expensive when we changed.
Thank you @BrenG. My professional insurance will be about that price. This is for my buildings and contents home insurance as doing nails from home increases the premiums. I kind of knew it would, but I honestly didn’t think it would double them 😵‍💫. But you’re absolutely right, shopping around will be key xx

Try Home Protect or Merkel

Latest posts

Back