home learn course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalouisa

Reaction score
hi whos done the home learn course is you certificate ok for insurance?? can you do a coversion 12 months later say with creative???

Hi Emma
learning to apply nails on a plastic finger is really not the same! One of the most important aspects of nail application is correct and immaculate preparation (and this can be different for different people). It is also understanding how the specific product you use bonds to the natural nail under different conditions. The first maintenance visit after a full set is the best learning situation for your application. A plastic nail does not get too thin, the owner of the finger does not say "ouch", buffed skin does not go red with a little slip of the buffer (you just hack a chunk off with a bigger slip of the buffer)

The courses are a good start and the hand is fantastic to practice product control and creating perfect shape and form.

I don't know if it is OK for insurance but I sincerely hope it isn't! You cannot take money from a client when you have just learnt on a plastic finger and I am sure Creative do not accept this as a qualification for a conversion.

Please use the home learn courses in the way they are meant to be used i.e good grounding and good practice of some aspects. Technicians use their skill on REAL people.

I sound fierce but this industry needs it! There are already too many cheapskates, don't join them.

Good luck
Marian

A good reply Marian, I agree Emma, invest in the best possible training, the general public are becoming more aware, don;t waste your money on poor training. You need the feedback from a real person with real nail problems to become an expert!

Cathy

I'm doing a Home Learn course with Essential Nails and I hope and believe that I will be qualified when I finish!?

The Little Beauty Room said:
I'm doing a Home Learn course with Essential Nails and I hope and believe that I will be qualified when I finish!?
Re read mum's post.

EN courses are a start, not a qualification.

Insurance will not be available to you if all you have done is this course.

mum is also correct in that Creative do not recognise just an EN class as a qualification.

It is important that you see this course for what it is. A small preliminary taste of application techniques.

As far as I'm aware, there is no anatomy or physiology or chemical information nor any other 'meat' that would round you out as a professional contained in this course ( I know there is a book but that is all) . This course produces amateurs not professionals. I'm sorry if this is not waht you want to hear but it is the truth non-the-less.
To progess from amateur status to professional will require much more training.

Hi Gigi

Just interested in your comments with regard to why Creative support the use of the Essential Nail Trainer hand after their professional training, when you obviously regard the Nail Trainer as being such a poor tool within our nail industry.

Kind Regards

Hi Gina

Gigi is more than capable of answering for herself but it is obvious that is not what she is saying!

The Nail Trainer is a great part of a well taught course. Alone it will not achieve sufficient qualification for insurance but as a practice tool or an introduction it works very well.

I feel very strongly that plastic fingers will never take the place of the real thing but there is a good place for th Trainer and course as part or a learning tool. That is exactly how a CND course uses it.

Marian

Thank you Marian.

Exactly so.

Whilst I understand where Gigi & Marian are comming from, I think things then get very confusing when you read articles that say otherwise.

In July's Scratch, on page 8 there is a coloumn on Annette Courtman who recieved a nail tech qualification in gel t&o and maintenance through essential nails.
Surely Scratch would not do such a glowing report if they thought Ms Courtman was not insured?

Debz xx

HI GUYS,

I DID A EN COURSE AND I HAVE INSURANCE REC BY EN.

BUT SAYING THAT I AGREE WHERE GEEG AND MUM ARE COMING FROM I STILL FEEL I NEED MUCH MORE TRAINING AND AT THE MO WOULD NOT TAKE CLIENTS FOR L&P I ONLY DO FRIENDS AND FAMILY FOR 1/2 PRICE.

WHEN I FIRST PRACTICED ON AREAL LIVE HAND I CAUGHT MY MOMS CUTICLES A FEW TIMES THE NAIL TRAINER CAN'T SAY OUCH!

thenaillounge said:
Hi Gigi

Just interested in your comments with regard to why Creative support the use of the Essential Nail Trainer hand after their professional training, when you obviously regard the Nail Trainer as being such a poor tool within our nail industry.

Kind Regards
Lets get things in perspective here.
1. there is the nail trainer
2. there is a home learn course supplied with a nail trainer.

These are 2 seperate issues. As far as issue no. 1 is concerned

I fully support the nail trainer as a tool to help nail technicians practice technique along with the use of live models. I helped consult on the original designs of the nail trainer. For years, (and it was my decision) The Creative Nail Academy network were the only nail training schools that supported its use in and out of the class room, along with the use of live models as well on the course. The Nail trainer is included in the cost of CND Foundation Courses and its use is NOT optional. So I think you can see that I am a great advocate of the NT use. :confused: Not sure where you got the idea that I thought the NT was a poor tool in the industry but I hope you now are put right on that score.

Issue no. 2.

The home learn courses.
As a general comment, I feel the home learn courses turn out amateur technicians who need to gain further knowledge in order to reach professional status. Many of the HL techs think so as well (read the very honest comments by glittergirl).
When technicians can come on this web site (not once but this has hapopened many many times) and make comments such as "I learned more in an hour on the site" than in a 20 week course etc. It proves how sadly lacking is most of the nail education on offer today.

i did the en home learn course i was new to the industry had 3 kids and my husband who works away.
it was an easy option for me and while i did and passed three of the home learn courses it was paula1973 my nail tech who pointed me in the right direstion of creating wonderful nails and this wonderful site but i am a perfectionist the en course was right for me at that time but not now.
i want more and more i love the industry i am in but hate saying to people i learnt nails on a home learn course doesnt sound proffessional at all,
i was lucky enough to study anat & phys and pharmacy and dispensing to become a medic in the navy which give me a small advantage but not the best.
i personally feel i want to go back to basics and do a foundation course which i will be doing very soon as i have just moved up north.
i may have wasted money doing all these courses and spending yet more to do a foundation course with ezflow but i feel i have to do this for myself and of course my paying customers.
if you have done the home course dont worry though all learning is good but i feel to be better you have to keep learning.
and if your happy just doing the en home learn courses and thats it maybe you are in the wrong industry because myself and all other nail technicians i know allways want to continue to better themselves and learn more
in hind site i could say i wish i had just done a foundation course and not the home learn but then maybe i would not have been bitten by the nail bug as i have been now.
just my thoughts

Hi Joanne

They are some very good thoughts. The course was obviously right for you and your circumstances and showed you that there may be a good career for you when the time is right. It also made sure you lost no time and learnt what you could when you could.

I should say that, from your thoughts, you are going to make a very good Tech because you have the right attitude! Good luck with all of it.

If anyone from EN is reading these threads it would be really useful to have some comments on the concept of the courses. They are great in the right hands but comments from the Company may help to clear up some confusion!

Marian

hi everyone,

i am doing the en acrylic tip and overlay course.
for me this option to learn was the only way, i wanted to get into nails, and learning from home was an ideal way, what with kids and work.

and i must say i didnt have a clue about anything to do with nails.
it gives you a lot more info than you think, obiviously you learn how to do the nails and the techniques involved, but you also learn about chemicals and there dangers, nail diseases and a lot more. you also have there web site or the helpline if you need help, so, you never feel your learning alone with no help.

i know a lot of qualified nail techs dont approve of us learning this way, but sometimes its the only way. and i for one couldn't have got started without it.
i am waiting for my results now, and if i pass, and people think i shouldn't be doing nails because of the way i learnt, i think i might have picked the wrong profession to go into.
to me the way you learn shouldn't be an issue if you pass the course and can do the job like other qualified nail techs.
jacqui

Hi Jacqui
I'm afraid the way you have learnt is not the same way as other qualified techs. Also, if you believe that the way to learn how to do professional nails is by working on a plastic finger and not on real people I think you may have picked the wrong profession to go into! By reading the vast majority of posts on this site you will see how hard and how seriously techs take their training both at the beginning and on-going.

Of course the way you have trained to do a professional job matters! Would you go to a dentist who has only learnt on plastic teeth in a plastic gum? Would you go to a hairdresser who has only learnt on a wig on a polystyrene head?

The course you have done is great and obviously suited you and your circumstances. But it is just the beginning. It has given you a good grounding ready to move on to more training a little further ahead than a complete beginner.

I hope your results are good and Ihope they give you the motivation to carry on. What they will not have given you is the experience to become a professional tech who charges fees for their services.

Marian

I'm sorry to throw my teddy out of the cot again but I think it is unfair to judge everyones ability just by the training they've had.
The home leaarn courses are a stepping stone but, Ifeel, just as worthy as others. In this I personally wouldn't include creative or Ez because as with everything they are the topnotch in training,but not always attainable to everybody. Some people just can't afford the best training in the first instance.
However, to imply that just because we have opted for HL means that we are not as dedicated, passionate and hard working in our strive to become better techs is grossly unfair and demoralising.
I personally know of one salon not far from me that invested in training from NSI and was working on real people after the first day claiming she was qualified!Clearly she didn't have a clue as I found out to my horror,this isn't because of her training(or lack of it) but because of her total impatience for qualification.
The point I'm trying to make, is that it doesn't matter how you qualified as you could have the best training in the world, it doesn't make you a good tech. Hard work, dedication,and practise does.
Sorry to go on,and if I have offended anyone it is unintentional and I'm sorry.
I shall keep working hard and making notes from threads,and learn as much as I can from wherever I can.

Debz xx

sorry, i didnt mean i would be as good as any pro if i pass this course. its only my first one and i would'nt expect it.
but there are a few i've read about on other sites that have done all the en courses and are running a business successfully.
i know i would still have a lot more training to do, but there are still some people out there that would dismiss anyone who had completed the home learn course.
i agree with debs, although i am doing the home learn doesn't mean i'm not dedicated and eager to learn more. i did my course over and over again until i was satisfied they were good enough to submit for marking.
if i pass this i hope to do the en maintenance course, but if anyone has any suggestions on what else i could do instead, that doesn't cost the earth, but with the flexibility of a home learn course (with work and family i dont know what else to do).
if there is a better way which i can fit around commitments i would do it, if it means a better qualification. i am hoping i have picked the right profession cause i love doing nails and cant wait to get a bit more artistic with them, but i cant run before i walk.

all suggestions greatly appreciated.

What Debs and Jacqui are saying in the last 2 posts is a great attitude to training: hard work and dedication is what matters. There have been some recent posts about the quality of the trainer being important and that is exactly true. The best course available is not worth the money or the effort if the trainer is no good and a good trainer needs to be excellent at all nail skills (and theory) and also, equally important, at the actual training, which is something not everyone is good at.

I don't like to see any bad critism of training from people who have not experienced the specifc course. All training has some value, some more than others. The important issues for a beginner with limited time and money is to choose the route right for their circumstances and get the best value for money. A good read of the many posts on this site (if you have 3 days that is ! There are so many) should help anyone to gain an insite and many honest opinions.

Marian

I did my initial training with a very reputable company (who I am not going to name) but I have learnt far more from this board and by reading lots of books (Encyclopedia of Nails/Nail Artistry/Complete Nail Technician/Doug Schoon). When I first started in this industry I paid A LOT of money for 1-2-1 training with a good company thinking it would give me the best start but unfortunately I feel the trainer not as good as she should have been and their back up support was non-existent. I bought myself a nail trainer and did loads of practice. I saw my original training as a foundation on which to build and after practicing on friends and family eventually went mobile but still new there was lots more to learn. After much research and advice from friends on this board I decided to do my Creative conversion in l&p and Brisa. I can only say that the courses were brilliant and the support is exceptional. It makes me want to learn more because education is key to being a good nail technician and I want to be the best I can - masters next I think.

Just make sure that any training offers a good back up support for when you're out there on your own and make sure its the right training for you.

Shaza

Hi Mum I think everything you have said has answered my worries of doing the learn at home courses. I have just started the acyrilic course and am studying very hard at the theroy side of the course as i want to be one of the best nail tec's, i want to learn all the techniques but want to be the best at them all I want to know everything there is to know so when i do go out into the nail tec world i can go out there with confidence, first class skill , and give my clients the best service they can get. How do i do this

Latest posts

Back