Home learning courses-Home Learn UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kels2013

Reaction score
Hi i need advice i have done nvq2 and nvq3 in beauty therapy with tanning & holistic therapies.... I am interested in doing a full nail technician course but due to having a little one and all working shifts, i am looking into doing a home learning course: level 1,2&3 professional nail technician course with 'Home learn uk'. Has anyone dealt with them or know of any good courses? they say because you practise on real people you can gain insurance??? Seems very good price though???? Grateful for all advice! ;)

I think you would be best to invest in training with a tutor who can look at your technique, offer you advice and support.
I had a lady enquire at my salon who had done a home course and out of curiosity I asked her to do a trade test - she didnt know how to file let alone do cuticle work!! She had been charged £500 for the theory and the training company wanted another £500 for the practical - my advice would be NOT to waste your money x

I did home study with home learn UK, the course content was good and I learnt a lot of theory. However there is no substitute for practical learning and I only managed it with a lot of help from the qualified nail techs in the salon where I work, plus I had to do a practical workshop in all aspects to gain the insurance I wanted. Most insurers insist on practical training. The products supplied weren't great and this makes life harder, and I ended up spending a fortune trying to find something better. If I were to do it again I would go through a reputable supplier such as CND, OPI, NSI, Young Nails (there are many more), who train you from scratch, supply you with good quality products, and continue to support you throughout and after training. It's worth going that extra mile to get the best start.

I did home study with home learn UK, the course content was good and I learnt a lot of theory. However there is no substitute for practical learning and I only managed it with a lot of help from the qualified nail techs in the salon where I work, plus I had to do a practical workshop in all aspects to gain the insurance I wanted. Most insurers insist on practical training. The products supplied weren't great and this makes life harder, and I ended up spending a fortune trying to find something better. If I were to do it again I would go through a reputable supplier such as CND, OPI, NSI, Young Nails (there are many more), who train you from scratch, supply you with good quality products, and continue to support you throughout and after training. It's worth going that extra mile to get the best start.
Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again!! Although stated that their diploma's are recognised you will find it very difficult to gain employment with this certificate.

If you must do a 'Home Learn' course - go to Essential Nails - they are recognised and approved and most importantly - CHEAPER!! - AND you also get your NAIL TRAINER :)

But - most Techs will advice you to go with a reputable Nail company for your training, so check out CND, NSi etc. xxx

Hiya. I trained with Home Learn UK, It gave me a brilliant education regarding the theory side of things i.e health and safety laws, nail anatomy, contra indications etc but the practical side of things i struggled with. Its ok to sit there and practice what you have interpreted to be the correct method of applying a tip or applying acrylic but i felt that because i was left to my own devices i picked up bad habits, and made things hard work for myself as there was no one there to correct my mistakes. I have since done a few hours 1-2-1 training and this has helped me iron out the creases and has really boosted my confidence. In my opinion i am glad i did this course as i feel i got a great insight to the nail industry but i have had a few comments from other nail techs like 'how can you say your qualified when you haven't been to college' or 'you cant possibly know what your talking about as you hardly have to study with these home courses'
My opinion is No i don't know everything about nails, i probably never will, i will keep learning and i don't ever think anyone can be 'fully qualified'
Hope that helps :)

Hiya. I trained with Home Learn UK, It gave me a brilliant education regarding the theory side of things i.e health and safety laws, nail anatomy, contra indications etc but the practical side of things i struggled with. Its ok to sit there and practice what you have interpreted to be the correct method of applying a tip or applying acrylic but i felt that because i was left to my own devices i picked up bad habits, and made things hard work for myself as there was no one there to correct my mistakes. I have since done a few hours 1-2-1 training and this has helped me iron out the creases and has really boosted my confidence. In my opinion i am glad i did this course as i feel i got a great insight to the nail industry but i have had a few comments from other nail techs like 'how can you say your qualified when you haven't been to college' or 'you cant possibly know what your talking about as you hardly have to study with these home courses'
My opinion is No i don't know everything about nails, i probably never will, i will keep learning and i don't ever think anyone can be 'fully qualified'
Hope that helps :)

Aw, it sounds like you've had some rough comments. :hug: good for you for continuing your education. Has those chicken heads that made these comments been to a new class lately? Hold your head high and act confident. I say this a lot, Never let them see you sweat !

To the OP, if you have a passion for nails you'll find a way to attend the best schooling for you. Note how Alexnewnail has been made to feel like a less of a nail tech because of her schooling.

Hey have you tried looking at local colleges for evening courses most are over 12 wks 1 night a week I'm sure you could pull in a babysitting favour for 4 hours once a wk ;) the home courses tend to be expensive and you may get a lot on theory but little practical or real practical you really are best with a tutor helping you along the way :)

I did this course and hated it they were rude and was told no time limits when i enquired about the course but later found there was! Avoid and go with someone else x

Hi,

You will see I have posted before about my experience with home learn uk
I really enjoyed the course.

I have friends who have done the course and got qualified and insured.

I dont know why claire has had probs. I dont think home learn uk have time limits.

My post will get some people talking what is best? home or college or day training.

Its not about that.

If you decide to learn from home, for whatever reason, just make sure that home learning is what you want to do.

Every time this subject is discussed it ends in arguments about home learning or other hands on training. I repeat again...I have nothing to do with the company in question, but I don't understand why the original question asking about a specific company turns into the same old questions about which type of training is best.

I am not recommending or saying home learning or home learn uk is best. I have told people I know in real life (real friends) about my experience with this company, they also got what was offered and are satisfied. Of course you can go on to enhance your skills, get more product or 1-2-1 training etc.

I think we all know that Professional Nail Techs never stop learning.

Michelle x

Last edited:
I personally would not do one of these courses or recommend them as I believe the only way to to become a good nail technician is in person with a good tutor. Someone who can see what you are doing and guide you as you go along. I would say go for a training course with one of the well known companies like CND, NSI, Youngs Nails etc. In my experience doing other courses was a waste of time and money.

This type of question about home learning courses has been asked a few times on this forum so if you do a search or two you might find further opinions that might help you come to a decision.

Hi,

Just wanted to share my opinions of Home Learn UK. I decided to enrol on their Beauty Therapy level 1, 2 and 3 course and as far as theory goes it was great. However, when it came to the practical side, I felt there was no support whatsoever. I agree with claire...I had a very rude tutor who wasn't that bothered about trying to help and the instructions in the book were very vague :sad:
I still haven't finished the course and feel i have wasted a lot of time and money with this company so my advice would be to steer clear of them.

Hope this helps.
Shannon x

Hi,

Just wanted to share my opinions of Home Learn UK. I decided to enrol on their Beauty Therapy level 1, 2 and 3 course and as far as theory goes it was great. However, when it came to the practical side, I felt there was no support whatsoever. I agree with claire...I had a very rude tutor who wasn't that bothered about trying to help and the instructions in the book were very vague :sad:
I still haven't finished the course and feel i have wasted a lot of time and money with this company so my advice would be to steer clear of them.

Hope this helps.
Shannon x

I wasted my money in the end as they said no time limits but there are 2 years if i remember rightly! So no help no qualification. Went with young nails in the end x

Have you tried a beauty salon most do courses on beauty and nails I am presently enrol on a 20 weeks with on that does Monday evening.

:biggrin:I just completed acrylic nails course with home learn uk. My opinion is the course covered all the theory parts like health and safety, showed me how to prove i have covered it. The practical parts probably would be a bit hard for a beginner. I had good help and advice from the company. Did not get rude comments.

Wendy x

Latest posts

Back