home made potions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel fingers

Reaction score
does any one use their own homemade products such as sugar scrub and massage oils for their services. i understand there are strict rules about retailing homemade products [ they have to be certified by a registered pharmacist], but if you are selling a service like pedicure incorporating your own products where do you stand? :confused:

Firstly, as a word of caution, making your own products does involve an element of risk. If the product is not completey fresh you will need some sort of preservative. Without this you would likely breed all sorts of fungi or bacteria that could be harmful to the client. A good natural preservative is grapefruit seed oil (and vitamin E to some extent). You should take professional advice on what would work in your recipe. Your containers need to be sterile.

Certification (safety assessement) is required to sell any cosmetic product within the E.U. This procedure costs IRO £200 per product. You also have to adhere to labelling restrictions

You would need to provide the following:
Material Safety Data Sheets.
INCI names for ingredients needed for labelling
Information on your Product Information File. (recipe data).

It is possible to buy pre-certification packages for common products to which you can add a limited amount of specific optional ingredients to create your own personal blends. This costs about £75 and provides all the data required above. You could also go direct to a toxicologist.

Here is a link to the DTI regs in full:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/cosmeticsguide.pdf

If you are making a home made gift than this is not required to be certified. Anything that makes money or is for profit (even making for school fairs etc.) DOES not to be certified.

I would urge you to call your insurance company and check out what they need you to do to cover you in the event of a problem. There must be some ways round it, as herbalists and aromatherapists make their own stuff all the time - but I think the insurance company would know.

Hope that helps even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear. Let us know what your insurance company say?

The other point of note is what would you save. I have tried looking into trying to save money by buying large sizes, empty pots and decanting but all of this takes time and this is time where you don't make any money.

There are some fantastic products out there that unless you could come up with something that would have a mega WOW factor you would spend a lot of time being as my husband says "a busy fool" ie. not making any money but maybe saving a few pennies.

Hope this makes sense

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/cosmeticsguide.pdf

If you are making a home made gift than this is not required to be certified. Anything that makes money or is for profit (even making for school fairs etc.) DOES not to be certified.

sounds like a minefield, im not looking to save money or anything, i just thought it would be cool to have different products for different moods. ive made a few bits and bobs for my own use and have found them very benificial. thanks for the link though, i shall check it out , though i rather suspect it may be haevy going. i guess it all comes down to weather your selling your service or your product, depends which way you look at it. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back