Home nail salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeCePopp

Reaction score
I'm currently waiting to do my hard gel extensions course and then a gellux course afterwards.
My main goal is to set up a home salon once I am Practiced enough.
My question is would I struggle to gain clients starting straight away as home based?
Would I be better off mobiling first and gaining clients?
How did you start out?

Any advice/opinions would be great.

If your goal is to be home based then I wouldn't start out going mobile because it could be difficult getting those clients to come to you instead in the future.

When I first started out I offered both but I hated going mobile as there was so much equipment to carry (and that was before gel polish!) and it was so time consuming, so when I came back into the industry I didn't offer mobile as an option at all.

It takes quite a long time to build a client base whichever way you do it so if you are going to be relying on earning a specific amount from the start, work part time to start with and keep your existing job (if you have one) and gradually reduce those working hours, if you can, as your nail business grows.

I second that I am home based I have only 2 mobile clients but it’s a pain in the backside I have had them a long time though. I work part time just 15 hours 8:30am-1:30 pm Monday -Wednesday I offer evening appointments and then daytime Thursday and Fridays. I work every 3rd Saturday so still have a weekend.

I second that I am home based I have only 2 mobile clients but it’s a pain in the backside I have had them a long time though. I work part time just 15 hours 8:30am-1:30 pm Monday -Wednesday I offer evening appointments and then daytime Thursday and Fridays. I work every 3rd Saturday so still have a weekend.

Sorry that should say I have a part time job Monday-Wednesday 8:30am-1:30pm x

Thanks for the replies guys. That's a huge help.
I think I will set up from home and try avoid mobiling where possible.
I have a part time job Fri mornings and Saturday afternoons so you've given me hope that I can work around that too.

Thanks for the replies guys. That's a huge help.
I think I will set up from home and try avoid mobiling where possible.
I have a part time job Fri mornings and Saturday afternoons so you've given me hope that I can work around that too.

I originally assumed most clients would want Saturday appointments but I was pleasantly surprised that hasn't been the case. I think as long as you can offer at least a couple of evenings a week clients seem to prefer that to eating into their weekend, which suits me and sounds like it would suit you if you already work on Saturdays :)

I don’t think you need to go mobile first.
I built up my client base quickly however I was prepared to work whenever the client requested to get them through the door initially.
Later on I changed my hours to suit myself and still tweak them now and again.

Yes my Saturdays are reasonably quiet sometimes I only need to work the mornings I have a handful of clients that come every 3 weeks for nails 6 weeks for eyebrows etc it works well. I also offer evening 5:30-7:30 Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. 10am-7pm Thursday 8:30-5:30 on Fridays x

Perfect.
I have a toddler son too so I'm thinking of trying to set particular days while hes not yet at school or nursery. I'm sure I can make it work.

Do you have any tips regarding reaching out to potential clients?
Initially I think it will be a lot of friends and family for practice and then I was thinking of using a Facebook page to promote myself
Is there anything else you found helped you particularly well?

A lot of my clients are from recommendation/word of mouth, however Facebook can be good as well. Website etc, Maybe flyer 1 mile radius from your home, car door magnetic signs. I’m sure you will make it work go for it. Do you have anyone who can help with childcare? Even if it’s just one day a week, you can always add more hours when he starts nursery. Keep your part time job until you have some money behind you.

No worries. Good luck xx

I'm currently waiting to do my hard gel extensions course and then a gellux course afterwards.
My main goal is to set up a home salon once I am Practiced enough.
My question is would I struggle to gain clients starting straight away as home based?
Would I be better off mobiling first and gaining clients?
How did you start out?

Any advice/opinions would be great.
Where are you doing your course? I was looking into finding one to

Where are you doing your course? I was looking into finding one to

Im going the course for Mani pedi and hardgel extensions at sally's
It's not until May but looks good.
My kit arrived today and I am desperate to get stuck in.
I'll have to hide it until then haha x

Latest posts

Back