Home nails business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
For anyone that does nails out of their home. I'm going to work out of a spare room in my home and I was wondering on how you all got started working out of your home. Did you have a base of people when you did or did you just go for it? I have about 10 people that will come with me to my home and I would do the flyer thing in my area. It just isn't working out at the salon that I'm in because of the owner using my things and taking the clients that call in from the flyers that I put out. So I want to do this out of my home because it will be less of a expense without paying rent or daycare. Please tell me how you all started out and any advice you can give me will help. Thank you all Lynn

Hi Lynn,
I became a Nail Tech some three yrs ago now & started off as Mobile.
I have looked into setting up in a hair/beauty salon and also looked into buying/renting my own nail studio but because my children are still only young (19mths & 4 yrs) the childcare costs etc would absolutely kill me & my business !! Last year we extended our home & I was lucky enough to incorporate my own Nail & Tanning studio,which has its own entrance. The best thing is I can keep my home & my business seperate and you just dont have the overheads that you would have by renting a chair etc....
If you are good at what you do then your clients will follow you wherever you set up, but you may find you will have to work a little harder at promoting yourself, dont forget you wont have the passers-by that a shop would have !!

Lynn said:
Hi everyone,
For anyone that does nails out of their home. I'm going to work out of a spare room in my home and I was wondering on how you all got started working out of your home. Did you have a base of people when you did or did you just go for it? I have about 10 people that will come with me to my home and I would do the flyer thing in my area. It just isn't working out at the salon that I'm in because of the owner using my things and taking the clients that call in from the flyers that I put out. So I want to do this out of my home because it will be less of a expense without paying rent or daycare. Please tell me how you all started out and any advice you can give me will help. Thank you all Lynn
Hi Lynne

I have just started the same way by doing my spare room into a salon! The only problems I have come across Is advising the council and trying to explain what I want to do as they seem to want to charge me an extorsionous rate of Business rates :mad: , The Gas Board and Electricity Board need to know also, Although the rate of your bills doesn't change until you start using over a certain amount of units, even then it's only your vat that changes from 5% to 17.5%. Your Morgage supplier will also need to know and also your house insurance broker.. the good news is that The water board don't seem to care!! as for the rest of it I find it so much easier working from home I suppose as long as you don't mind people trudging through your house with their shoes on :rolleyes: ( as most will not even offer to take them off).. then you should do quite well. Good Luck and best wishes with your new venture ;)

loadsa love

Hi
Have you tried advertising in local shops. Maybe try having a promotional evening where you can invite people round or to a community centre or local place where people meet and explain what services you provide, the products you use and offer a certain amount of discount for people booking on the night. Some people don't know what products are being used (such as mma at the mo)and maybe have had the wrong advise.
I work mobile and it is a bit of a hard slog but i love doing nails and i have found that once people have had their nails done they love them and really don't want to go without. I also wear the nail extensions which does help as people can see what they are getting for their money.

Hope this helps, sorry if i babbled on a bit:rolleyes:

Shelley:lol:

Corrine said:
I have just started the same way by doing my spare room into a salon! The only problems I have come across Is advising the council and trying to explain what I want to do as they seem to want to charge me an extorsionous rate of Business rates :mad:
loadsa love

I informed my Council when I converted a back room (which has its own entrance door and toilet) into a salon. They said at the beginning of last year that it was OK. However, they recently contacted me with a view to charging Business Rates for the room. The Council sent round A man from the Inland Revenue Valuation Department. He measured the room (and other rooms). He said that I would not have to pay Business Rates because "the room is connected to my house i.e. you can gain direct access to the house via the salon. For this reason it could not be separately rented out to another business."

This is a complicated matter for which you need to contact your own Council. But my understanding is that if the room in question can be rented out as a separate unit then it will be liable for business rates. This is not the case in my situation purely because there is a doorway (with a curtain and no door) between my utility room and the salon.

Surely a spare room within your house (with no separate entrance) would be viewed in exactly the same way?

As I said, its a complicated matter. I have one of our Local Councillors as a client, she is very useful :biggrin:

glynis said:
I informed my Council when I converted a back room (which has its own entrance door and toilet) into a salon. They said at the beginning of last year that it was OK. However, they recently contacted me with a view to charging Business Rates for the room. The Council sent round A man from the Inland Revenue Valuation Department. He measured the room (and other rooms). He said that I would not have to pay Business Rates because "the room is connected to my house i.e. you can gain direct access to the house via the salon. For this reason it could not be separately rented out to another business."

This is a complicated matter for which you need to contact your own Council. But my understanding is that if the room in question can be rented out as a separate unit then it will be liable for business rates. This is not the case in my situation purely because there is a doorway (with a curtain and no door) between my utility room and the salon.

Surely a spare room within your house (with no separate entrance) would be viewed in exactly the same way?

As I said, its a complicated matter. I have one of our Local Councillors as a client, she is very useful :biggrin:
What about insurance rates, Glynis?

Adele

Peppercorn Nails said:
What about insurance rates, Glynis?

Adele

Yes that was another problem. I have the usual ANT Product & Public Liability. I informed my household insurance people about the business. At first they said they would no longer be prepared to give me normal house contents insurance :eek:

After a few phone calls and letters they insisted on "five leaver locks" (Chubb type) on all outside doors - fine. Additional locks (type specified by them) on every downstairs window and they recommended CCTV in the salon (which I recently installed).

The terms of my household contents insurance state that I am only covered for acts of burglary if the house is unattended or if there is an act of violence involved!!

So if one of my clients slips past me and into my house and nicks one of my many diamond tiaras, I'm not covered. However, if they club me on the head first I'm covered!!! I suppose this is to stop me being negligent - fair enough.

Funny, the one organisation who have the most invested in my home are of course my mortgage people. They had no problems with any of my plans.

One other thing. My clients gain access to my salon via my drive and garden. The Council had no problems with me putting up signs on the walls of my drive or garden gates as long as they were not lit. I live in a residential street so the signs are large enough to be seen by someone looking for them, but discreet enough not to spoil the residential feel of the area.

All worth it in the end, I love working from home.

glynis said:
Yes that was another problem. I have the usual ANT Product & Public Liability. I informed my household insurance people about the business. At first they said they would no longer be prepared to give me normal house contents insurance :eek:

After a few phone calls and letters they insisted on "five leaver locks" (Chubb type) on all outside doors - fine. Additional locks (type specified by them) on every downstairs window and they recommended CCTV in the salon (which I recently installed).

All worth it in the end, I love working from home.
I can't believe they wanted you to install CCTV - I also don't want to have to put window locks on all my downstairs windows, they make me feel very uneasy!!

who are you insured with? Are all insurance companies like this? Is there anyone we can talk to with regard to independant advice?

Adele

just thought I would push this post back up.

Lynn said:
Hi everyone,
So I want to do this out of my home because it will be less of a expense without paying rent or daycare. Thank you all Lynn

I'm confused - what do you plan to do with your children whilst you work? Surely the cost would be the same wherever you work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back