Home salon business insurance help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeCatherall

Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m sort of new to the site and hope this is in the right place!

I’m starting to look into starting up a salon at home in our garage that’s in the back garden. I know that I have to contact the mortgage provider and home insurance and local council.

But I’ve been looking at other threads of people’s queries regarding business insurance, so I started digging around online and have come across Direct Line For Business. I’ve got a quote online and compared to what I was expecting it’s VERY reasonable (that’s if I’ve done it right😂).

But my main question is, this quote includes Public and Products Liability Insurance and Hair and Beauty Treatment Liability, would you think it would be better to get Public Liability from somewhere like the Guild, Salon Gold, or choose this where everything is included?

Following! Currently looking at direct line too

You aren’t actually obliged to inform your mortgage provider. The only thing they could change is making it a commercial mortgage. That would mean you aren’t allowed to live there.

Write up a basic query to council with plan this is what I want to do please direct me. Keep a copy.

Then get insurance and start working.

Then Contact Council again once started to chase. If they want a change of use to commercial, which they likely won’t as you live there, more likely suis generis, that’s when you could contact mortgage provider if anything is changed. I wasn’t even asked to pay business rates in my first place just made to feel like I’d wasted their time when it was unnecessary for me to pay it. They only class you as a home salon in most councils when they see 7 clients a week going in and out, otherwise it’s not a business. Sometimes even then they will watch in a car outside (mine did), and still be uncertain as they could be your family coming for a visit. Only when it’s enough to be an obvious change in traffic and parking do they really get fussed. But obviously definitely continue as planned with council just hold fire with mortgage provider.

Latest posts

Back