Home salon expenses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina

Reaction score
Hi, I will be filing my first tax return this year. I work from a log cabin in my garden and sometimes mobile. This is my 2nd income so don't do it full time.

How can I work out what percentage I use for electricity to claim some of that expense back and can I claim for doing laundry - washing towels etc...

I've been trying to search this but can't find anything relevant.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Such a great question. I'm struggling to find answers for this too. X

I claim one eighth of my utility bills as I use one eighth of my house space for salon activities.

Under 'sundries ' in your accounts you can claim for the little things like washing powder, coffee, magazines, milk etc. Just keep your receipts as normal.

For your car expenses you work out the mileage you have done on business and then calculate what percentage this is of your total mileage, say 20% for example, then put through 20% of all your car bills .
Petrol
Insurance
Repairs
Mot
Tyres
Tax

This is what my accountant told me to do.
Hope this helps.

I claim one eighth of my utility bills as I use one eighth of my house space for salon activities.

Under 'sundries ' in your accounts you can claim for the little things like washing powder, coffee, magazines, milk etc. Just keep your receipts as normal.

For your car expenses you work out the mileage you have done on business and then calculate what percentage this is of your total mileage, say 20% for example, then put through 20% of all your car bills .
Petrol
Insurance
Repairs
Mot
Tyres
Tax

This is what my accountant told me to do.
Hope this helps.

Super! That's really helpful. Thank you so much :)
I've been reading up about being able to claim % of household bills etc in relation to how much of an area you use and how often etc. Gives me more of an incentive to move my business from mobile to home base. A lot to think about. Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back