Home Salon Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glittergirl

Blingin' Brummie Geek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me of the pro's and cons of having a salon at home.

I'm currently a mobile tech (i use this term lightly because apart from one client all are friends and family) but i have noticed a number of clients are falling and i'm beginning to find it a bit of a pain travelling i don't charge full prices as i'm not confident that my work warrents full prices.

has anyone got a home salon and if so what are the legal obligations?

At the moment its something im thinking about nothing for definate yet.

I've tried getting a job in a salon part time training but no-one can take me on i have quite a few salons in my area so hairdressers i have approched don't feel it would benifit their salon.

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Well im not to sure of the legal side, but think there are pros and cons in all.

Can i ask how long you ve been qualified?
Only because it sounds as tho you are putting yourself down and that is a negative thing and probably why exsisting salons are turning you down.:sad:

If you are trained and you are doing nails regularly then you should/are getting better and better, and the more you do the better you will become, but all this comes in time.:)
My point is that to work in a salon you need to be qualified and have experience, which you have if your doing nails mobile.
Therefore i think its confidence and self belive you are missing.
Once you work out how to gain these you will have the complete package and be un stoppable im sure..:cool:

You can rent a space in a many salons nails/hair dressers and also sunbed shops, this can include advertising and price lists etc.
So you can work for yourself, have your own clients and progress in your own time..:)

I hope this helps you hun, if theres anything else you need just ask..

Good luck in what ever you decide..;)

I have a Salon at home and also i work 3 days in a shop.
I love working in the shop, its busy and i have great nights out with the girls but i also love working from home. I had to tell my insurance ppl and i informed my mortage company. Alot of my clients prefer me working from home and will not go to the shop (strange clients) I think its because its more relaxed at home...! I'd give it a go, saves time on all that traveling...lol

Vicky xx
glittergirl said:
Hi Geeks,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me of the pro's and cons of having a salon at home.

I'm currently a mobile tech (i use this term lightly because apart from one client all are friends and family) but i have noticed a number of clients are falling and i'm beginning to find it a bit of a pain travelling i don't charge full prices as i'm not confident that my work warrents full prices.

I've tried getting a job in a salon part time training but no-one can take me on i have quite a few salons in my area so hairdressers i have approched don't feel it would benifit their salon.

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I'VE ONLY BEEN QUALIFIED FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS BUT I'M NOT ENTIRLEY HAPPY WITH WHAT I PRODUCE.

I DO ACRYLIC TIP AND OVERLAY BUT FIND I HAVE WHAT LOOKS TO ME LIKE CLOUDINESS AROUND THE EDGES (CUTICLE AND NAIL WALL) I DON'T WANT TO FILE TOO MUCH AS I DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE THE CLIENTS NATURAL NAIL ANY ADVICE WHATS CAUSING THIS?

I WOULD HATE TO GET A JOB AS A FULL TIME NAIL TECH IN A SALON AND THEN PRODUCE NAILS THAT ARN'T UP TO SCRATCH.

ALL OF MY CLIENTS ARE FRIENDS AND FAMILY I DON'T CHARGE THEM FULL PRICE BECAUSE I WOULDN'T PAY FULL PRICE FOR NAILS THAT ARE NOT PURFECT AND AS I HAVE ONLY JUST QUALIFIED I HAVE FOUND THAT PRACTICE MAKES PURFECT AND THE QUALITY OF MY NAILS IS GETTING BETTER MAYBE IM BEING FAR TOO PICKY I DON'T KNOW!

I ONLY HAVE ONE CLIENT WHO IS NOT A FRIEND OR FAMILY BUT SHE HAS BEAUTIFUL NATURAL NAILS SO SHE ONLY HAS A MANI & PEDI

I HAVE BEEN TOYING WITH THE IDEA OF HAVING A SALON AT HOME FOR A WHILE BUT IT'S NOT SOMETHING I WOULD DO STRAIGHT AWAY AS I NEED TO BE COMPLETLEY CONFIDENT ABOUT THE WORK I AM PRODUCING.

I AM CONSIDERING DOING SOME TRAINING WITH CREATIVE TO BOOST MY CONFIDENCE AS I DID A HOME LEARN COURSE TO BEGIN WITH BUT FEEL I COULD BENIFIT FROM SOME CLASSROOM TRAINING.

(SORRY IT'S ALL IN CAPS ONLY JUST REALISED)

Well Jodie that it explains your doubts fully, please dont think im pussing you but some newbies have a habit of not beliving in themselves.. And that just not good.. :)

From the description of your problem it sounds to me that you may have your ratio a little to wet in zone 3, without seeing its hard to say but its good you notice this and that your asking for advice..
So next time try the ratio a little less wet in zone 3 and do let me know how you get on, you can always pm me for further advice hun..

Im sure there is more Expert advice to follow in this post, so good luck..

Thanx loads sweet xx

I am a freelance nail tech, i prefere to travel to clients as my personal family commitments often cause conflict when i'm trying to concentrate. I think you'll never know unless u try it out as what doesn't work for one person may work for someone else.
Cres

glittergirl said:
Hi Geeks,

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a quickie post - There were afew threads recently about this if you do a search. Your main concerns are registering with the planning dept of your council, affects on your mortgage, and your house insurance. Also, if you have a family, the effects it would have on them ie keeping noise down, bringing friends round etc. Plus the additional advertising costs as you don't have a "shopfront". I've worked in a salon, been mobile, worked from home and now rent space as self employed in a hair salon (well now the upstairs floor as we've expanded) and the latter has been by far the best. Hope this helps a little, pm if you want any more advice. Good luck!

Thanx for your advice guys!

Latest posts

Back