Home salon startup and mortgage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharne_

Reaction score
Hello , *first time posting on this group*
I have a goal to open home salon by the end of this year/start of next year.

So I understand I need council permission and personal liability insurance.
Do I need to inform the home mortgage advisor or just home insurance?
Bear in mind I don’t own the property it’s my parents mortgage and the set up will be out of the garage not linked to the house or anything else...
any advise is greatly appreciated thank you.

Hi, welcome

Yes to both house insurance and mortgage people. The garage is still part of the property covered by the 'loan'. Some mortgage companies don't allow businesses to be run from home as they class it as commercial. Not all and it's a very grey area, especially in these current times.

You may find the insurance company may not insure either, again, its down to individual companies. They may also add/remove certain clauses.

Thank you for your straight forward answer.

I did think this was the case but the parents actually needed more convincing! lol
I couldn’t find anything specifically salon in garage, everything seemed to quote set ups in a room within the house so just wanted to check from experienced people on here.

Thank you for your straight forward answer.

I did think this was the case but the parents actually needed more convincing! lol
I couldn’t find anything specifically salon in garage, everything seemed to quote set ups in a room within the house so just wanted to check from experienced people on here.
It's impossible for us to say, different insurance companies and mortgage providers have differing criteria. For instance I have house insurance that I'd had for 25 years (same company, same policy) which allows me to run a business from home with no impact or clauses. The same company don't offer any equivalent now, they have extra charges or clauses. So I can't even recommend my insurance company to anyone.

Also, rightly or wrongly, if you don't get the answer you want first time call back, often different staff members interpret things differently. Then get it in writing if you're really worried.

That said in the current climate of 'work from home' etc. it is a really grey area

Ah ok thank you you’ve been very helpful.

Latest posts

Back