Home salon-what can't you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hi all,
Questions for home salon owners really.
Trying to work out if it would be worth it.
I have the room and everything to get started. I'm just wondering advertising wise, what can't you do?
Like for example: you aren't allowed to put a sign on the side of your house are you?
What sort of things do I have to do to make sure everything is up to standard for the public to come into the house. ( toilet/sink, health & safety in the house etc)

Sorry if I don't make sense, I'm just deciding wether to quit my salon job and go it alone from home. As I'm spending more on travel & products than I'm earning :(
Thanks
Sam
Xx

Hiya,

According to my council I didn't have to be inspected or anything. They didn't have a list of 'must haves' either. I would recommend contacting your council re: any H&S requirements as I think they differ - especially with regard to refuse collection and if you are doing electrolysis or any treatment using a needle.

Hiya,

According to my council I didn't have to be inspected or anything. They didn't have a list of 'must haves' either. I would recommend contacting your council re: any H&S requirements as I think they differ - especially with regard to refuse collection and if you are doing electrolysis or any treatment using a needle.

Thank you. :)
It would be just nails, brows & eyelashes to begin with.
Ill check a few things out with the council tomorrow. x

The public don't have to have access to toilet facilities. As for signage ask your council as it alters a lot. Some places are allowed no signage, others non illuminated signs, others can have illuminated. That's all the council's choice. You can though advertise within your home by putting a sign in the window. Xoxo

Would be really interested to hear how you get on, I think we're under the same council and I had a nightmare with them no-one returned my calls then I got a letter in the post to say that my application (I hadn't made any application) to open a beauty parlour at my address had been denied because it would be changing the main purpose of the property to business instead of residence - talk about miss the point! I only wanted to do a few sets of nails from home every week!

So u can advertise with a small sign inside your salon window?

But for anything else council needs to be contacted?

I live in Australia so every country differs with their laws & policies, in AU we're allowed to have signage or banners up from home but only if we're registered as a business by law. If where ever you live doesn't llow you to do so, I would take the next step by getting registered as a business and it's better to say tht you don't know if your business will profiteer yet and it's also a hobby to you, because sometimes they will deny your application to make your home into a business location. After being approved you should change the status of your application by stating that it is now a business that has a yearly turn over. But like I said every country is different :D
Being a home salon owner is definitely worth it, if you're not allowed to have signage out the front then I would advertise by doing leaflet drops, Facebook and etc.
Goodluck x

I believe every council is different. Its best just to call yours and ask.
I was told by mine, that clients would not be allowed to use my family bathroom, due to cross contamination, & therefore i would need separate toilet facilities.

Latest posts

Back