Home salon - working hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBR

Reaction score
I'm after a bit of feedback from others on what hours they find they are busiest whilst working from home.

I opened in the middle of August this year and whilst initially I was really busy and off to a good start, I've found it to be quite quiet since the middle October despite leaflet drops and offers via FB.

So far my working hours are 9-5 Monday - Friday with late nights on Thursday until 7pm, and I also work a Saturday morning 9-12 noon.

I used to work full-time in an office with evenings in my home salon and I was really busy after 6 years of doing this. I've now moved house and into a totally new area where I don't know anyone and I'm now wondering if I should do more hours in the evening to get clients in.

What does everyone think?

Thanks very much.

hi
i also work from home currently doing 2 late evenings which has slowly extended to 3-4 late evenings with the run upto xmas.

I am working till 9-10pm and am shattered, but have plenty of afternoon slots free still. After considering demand and work life balance in the new year i will not be so accommodating. I intend to stick to my hours next year, as most clients can fit other things in during more social hours, hair and nail appointments for example but if we worked till 4am Im sure I would get bookings then too.

I think its about priorities and when I first started out i worked all hours to build the business. Now i have a large client base I need to stick to my hours. I suspect that most think that because we work from home we are "open all hours" literally.

I'm currently mobile doing makeup, lashes and brows but will be doing out the spare bedroom and making it into my makeup/beauty parlour next month. When i do this, I'll be working until around 10pm as I know some people don't finish work until late and won't be able to go to a salon... I don't mind working until late as I don't have any priorities so working late isn't really an issue for me.

xx

Thanks for your replies ladies.

I know that we are too accommodating with clients if we're in demand, and that's what I don't want to do as I have done that in the past.

My husband works in the daytime and I'd prefer not to have to work evenings at all, as I know you need the work/life balance.

I work mon tues weds sat in my customer service job 8am - 6pm then mon tues weds I do 6.30pm - 8pm beauty & 10am - 8pm thurs & fri beauty. I never stop but I love it xxx

I work at my home salon from 9:00am with the last appointment of the day 7:30pm Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday and 9:00am to 5:00pm Saturday.
Occasionally I'll start earlier and finish later, but as a general rule I try to keep to my regular hours as I have a family (2 teenagers).
I also work another job Wednesdays and every second weekend (nightshifts).

Thanks again for your replies ladies. Gosh you all work so long hours but I'm glad you're all busy!

If my business doesn't pick up in the next few months, I fear I'll have to look for a part-time job elsewhere, be it in a salon or an office, etc.

Thanks again for your replies ladies. Gosh you all work so long hours but I'm glad you're all busy!

If my business doesn't pick up in the next few months, I fear I'll have to look for a part-time job elsewhere, be it in a salon or an office, etc.

I work from home, and there is no way I'd be working until 10pm, for a start I'd be far too tired by then and my works suffers when I'm tired. Nothing irritates me more than turning out bad work :cry:

My first appointment is around 9.30 (trying to get here earlier than that is a nightmare as I live between the 4 main roads that feed Brighton so traffic is a nightmare), my last appointment is 5.30/6pm, which means a 7.30ish finish for a rebalance, earlier if it's a manicure.

If you start your business offering late nights, those who use those appointments will always want late nights, it will be hard to reduce those hours later. Start as you mean to go on :hug:

I have a home salon and open tues, weds, 10-6.30, Thursday and Friday 10-5 and Saturday 9.30-1.00.x

Hello

I'm a home salon and open 10am - 7.00 pm Mon-Fri and 10.00 - 5.00 Saturday, however with the time of year I'm flexible and will work earlier or later by request.

Thanks ladies,

I totally agree with you Trinity as clients who want late evening will continue to have late evening if it's on offer (or not)!

I really don't want to be working late at all. I want a good steady business but I'm not going to kill myself in doing it.:lol:

I work from home too and work whenever somebody wants a treatment as I can't say no (even tho I should!). I don't start until 10 though, need to de-horse myself in plenty of time for clients! I don't mind working Sundays or late nights as I've done 10 years in spas and that's normal for me. Wouldn't know what to do with myself with a weekend off!

Latest posts

Back