home salon .... worth it ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moosey

Reaction score
Hi every1.....

i am expecting my 1st baby in 4 weeks but want to get back to work in the near future as i miss it so much..... I am thinking that a home salon would now suit me more. I have found out about local guidlines etc but have no clue as to if they are worth it. If you have a home salon any info would be great like how busy you are and if its worth it financialy etc i know alot of it is down to advertising and skill but any info would be great
k
x-x

Hi every1.....

i am expecting my 1st baby in 4 weeks but want to get back to work in the near future as i miss it so much..... I am thinking that a home salon would now suit me more. I have found out about local guidlines etc but have no clue as to if they are worth it. If you have a home salon any info would be great like how busy you are and if its worth it financialy etc i know alot of it is down to advertising and skill but any info would be great
k
x-x

The success of a home salon depends on YOU and on how well you can let people know you are operating from home. No one can predict how busy you are going to be ... that is up to you.

I started at home and was so busy I had to move to a salon in town and hire and train staff but that was many moons ago when I was the 'only kid on the block'.

The main thing is to let people know where you are and that you do great work in a professional atmosphere. If you think you can do that then go for it. If everything looks and is professional then many people like not having to go into town to get their nails done and have all the hassel of parking etc. But your exposure is more limited than if you were in a busy thoroughfare in a town.

I work from home and i would say its been succesful....it fits in with my life and that of my clients....many of whom work Mon-Fri 9-6....they don't want so spend there Saturdays getting nails done so the fact that i will work after 6pm is what i would say worked best for me.

I have a separate room downstairs and its very professional.

Thing to remember though....would this work with a baby to look after....??

I work from home and the majority of my clients are able to come to me during the day. I only work one late night per week atm.

I totally agree with everything geeg has said.

I do realise that I could expand into a salon BUT I'm not really ambitious so I'm happy with what I've got at the moment. I enjoy not having to pay rent and business rates at the moment!

Who knows what the future holds though. Children do not stay small. Persosnally, if I had a baby I would not work and try to look after the baby at the same time. I would either, work in the evenings when the baby's father is home to look after it (although this could be really tiring after you've looked after a baby all day) OR the baby would have to go to nursery while I worked. Jmho x

My personal opinion is to hang on a while.At the moment you are still pregnant you may feel totally different about working when the baby is born and you will be surprised how much time a newborn takes up it is literally 24/7 for the first few months.You will not need any added responsibility sorting out work issues.
If you do decide to go ahead do not think that a baby will fit in around you and your work, it always ends up the other way around unless you have others that will care for them while you are working and then if you are both at home the nicest of clients wont want to hear a crying baby.Also its very difficult not to want to step in if they are getting very upset which will distract you from your work.

I would have the baby sorted and im not talking a few weeks after birth but in about 4 months or so. The baby is going o be my main priority but i would like to get everything right b4 going ahead with work. I just think that a home salon .... at 1st .... would be best 4 me thanks for the comments very helpfull xx-xx:hug:

Hi there,

First of all congrats on baby due.

I started training for doing nails when my daughter was 6 weeks old. At first I ran a small home salon, but found it very difficult as my partner wasn't much help in looking after my daughter. Then I went to work part time in two salons for a few years.

Myself and my partner split up and when my daughter was just over 3 and i continued to work part time in salon and a few private clients at home. When she started school I gave up the salon work and worked from home.

I am now with new partner and moved house nearly two years ago now, bought a property with enough space for a home salon and it has worked out really well. I am still working part time in an office, because not enough clients to be fully booked all week, but I am booked two days a week, which I consider not bad for 1.5 years in a totally new area. It takes a few years to build up a client base and I am prepared to do what I have to do until that happens.

Good luck. A home salon is worth it, but Geeg has given good advice in saying you have to get yourself known and work that much harder at it.

Lots of clients like coming to a home salon and you can be more flexible with times etc.

hi ya
my baby is 8 months, i work both from home and mobile.
i find it really difficult when @ home and the baby is fussing as i can't concentrate.
it may not be so bad if you have a separate room and your partner/husband looks after baby, but the minute you hear the baby getting upset you'll find it hard to focus.
i would wait until baby is a little older as i still find it difficult now.
anna:)
ps.good luck and i hope all goes well, congratulations:hug:

I work from home and I love it, it's been 2 years for me and it's hard to get the word out that you work from home.

I live on commercial property so the sign on the lawn really does help, but word of mouth is the best advertisement. I have a seperate entrance and it's neat and professional looking!

I would love to have more of a clientelle but for now I am pleased with what I am doing. I make equal to the part time job I had and I'm at home. Some days it is hard even though I am by appt only I stay home to get the phones or forward the phone when I go out. Having said that it can be boring but still worth being my own boss!

Good luck and take it slowly and enjoy your baby!

Aww thank you everyone been i n the business for 3 years and worked in a salon sstill have client details and contacts but all advice has been great:) I know it will be different when i have the baby but i miss the industry soooo much and i think with ya all helpin ill manage lol many thanks again :hug: xx-xx

Hi Hun,
Congrats on new baby. Enjoy the first few months of being a Mum, nothing can top that. I understand where you are coming from, you want to pre plan so you know which direction is best for you.
I have just come out of rented salon space........salon on the down side, and dropping fast, so after 12 months decided to leave, I am too wondering home salon or mobile.......I am just back in from a mobile client.........it's freezing out there, I am having my home salon, done mobile before, but forgot how hard it is.......and how uncomfortable.........I can't do with all the unpacking.........So for me home sounds best. But I have no babies at home, so easy for me to say.
For you all depends on baby........you may decide no to everything and have some time off work..........just mum and baby time......keep up your skills with family and friends, and keep up with all the new stuff...........take time to decide. Good luck and best wishes, let us all know when baby arrives, lotsa luv :hug: :hug:

Hi Hun,
Congrats on new baby. Enjoy the first few months of being a Mum, nothing can top that. I understand where you are coming from, you want to pre plan so you know which direction is best for you.
I have just come out of rented salon space........salon on the down side, and dropping fast, so after 12 months decided to leave, I am too wondering home salon or mobile.......I am just back in from a mobile client.........it's freezing out there, I am having my home salon, done mobile before, but forgot how hard it is.......and how uncomfortable.........I can't do with all the unpacking.........So for me home sounds best. But I have no babies at home, so easy for me to say.
For you all depends on baby........you may decide no to everything and have some time off work..........just mum and baby time......keep up your skills with family and friends, and keep up with all the new stuff...........take time to decide. Good luck and best wishes, let us all know when baby arrives, lotsa luv :hug: :hug:

You will NEVER make the money mobile that you will make in a static position at home or in the salon ... as long as people know where you are. Static is always best.

Baby or work...? Baby or work..?

I have just had a baby and he is 3 months old.. I have stop working completely during the day as whichever way I do it - mobile or home - it is not going to work out with a screaming baby...

my clients have said they dont mind but i refuse to work while my baby is with me... my clients pay me for my time, skills and my full concentration.... their experience should be relaxed and enjoyable... and unfortunely with a crying baby.. I am not able to offer that...

I now have to wait until my husband comes home from work and then I do the evenings.. but after spending the whole day attending to my baby.. it gets very tiring..

Although I love my new baby to bits and definately want to there to raise him up.. I cant stop feeling very frustrated with the situation as I have spent a lot of time and efforts in getting the proper training in nails..

At the end of the day... I think the sad truth is... women just cant have it all.....

I wish you good luck in whatever you decide..

My personal opinion is to hang on a while.At the moment you are still pregnant you may feel totally different about working when the baby is born and you will be surprised how much time a newborn takes up it is literally 24/7 for the first few months.You will not need any added responsibility sorting out work issues.
If you do decide to go ahead do not think that a baby will fit in around you and your work, it always ends up the other way around unless you have others that will care for them while you are working and then if you are both at home the nicest of clients wont want to hear a crying baby.Also its very difficult not to want to step in if they are getting very upset which will distract you from your work.
I agree, my daughter was born 5 months ago and I had all hopes of working just one day a week to gain knowledge and experience. I am breastfeeding which makes it more difficult- but tbh, I just don't want to leave her :cry:. Plus, checked the nurseries and it was £24 just for an afternoon.

x

Baby or work...? Baby or work..?

I have just had a baby and he is 3 months old.. I have stop working completely during the day as whichever way I do it - mobile or home - it is not going to work out with a screaming baby...

my clients have said they dont mind but i refuse to work while my baby is with me... my clients pay me for my time, skills and my full concentration.... their experience should be relaxed and enjoyable... and unfortunely with a crying baby.. I am not able to offer that...

I now have to wait until my husband comes home from work and then I do the evenings.. but after spending the whole day attending to my baby.. it gets very tiring..

Although I love my new baby to bits and definately want to there to raise him up.. I cant stop feeling very frustrated with the situation as I have spent a lot of time and efforts in getting the proper training in nails..

At the end of the day... I think the sad truth is... women just cant have it all.....

I wish you good luck in whatever you decide..

i'm in a similar position to yourself babe, i can't do it with baby around and i rely on my other half having him so i can give my full attention to my client. but i also agree that going mobile is a pain as it's lots of packing and un packing... i would love to have the space @ home.
enjoy your baby for now, this is the best time and it flies by too quick.
anna:hug:

I agree, my daughter was born 5 months ago and I had all hopes of working just one day a week to gain knowledge and experience. I am breastfeeding which makes it more difficult- but tbh, I just don't want to leave her :cry:. Plus, checked the nurseries and it was £24 just for an afternoon.

x

yes, it's much harder when your breastfeeding,as i still am. you can't just leave baby with someone.

You will NEVER make the money mobile that you will make in a static position at home or in the salon ... as long as people know where you are. Static is always best.

So so true. I am now home based after a couple of years of mobile and I can't tell you how much better it is, both financially and in terms of lowered stress-levels!

We all feel differently about these things anyway, and in any case when baby is born you may feel different to how you feel now, but my advice would be this. Cherish those early years, you don't get them back. When your kids have grown, you will never regret it. OK, doing nails is great, and it's fab that you're so keen . . . but nothing in the world prepares you for the intensity of feeling that comes with becoming a mum and if it was me I would wallow in it for as long as ever I could!

Anyhow, congrats on the baby and good luck in whatever you decide, you just have to do what's best for you and what feels right xx

I have had a very successful home salon for over 3 years, I also have 4 young childrn. I find it works for me because I have really got my name out there, so people know who I am...my salon is based in a large log cabin and looks extremly professional, I work late nights and some days so that I can offer a mixture of hours to suit clients different working patterns.

My youngest daughter (whos 2) goes to nursery the 3 days I work, the other 2 days I only work the evenings so my hubby has the kids. In the holidays the other kids go to holiday clubs at school. Its been well worth it for me, and thats even having to pAY out for the childcare....dont forget as long as you work at least 16 hrs a week you can claim 80% of your childcare back through Child tax credits, even if you do not qualify for working tax credit!!(Not many people know that, and they certainly dont shout it frm the rooftops!!)

Hi SHaron
I'm hoping to open my own home based salon in a few months. I was going to start this maybe few hours during day thursday and a few late nights then my fiance could mind the baby those nights. I'm in two minds wether to take a skin care range in straight away as i work part time in a chemist selling clarins and i hope to keep two days in there. i'd appreciate any advice you have to offer as i know you've been through it all. At minute i'm using the tan trick spray tan, calgel nails. I do alot of wedding and have built up my own stock of clarins(which i love:)) to do these.
T :hug::hug:

....dont forget as long as you work at least 16 hrs a week you can claim 80% of your childcare back through Child tax credits, even if you do not qualify for working tax credit!!(Not many people know that, and they certainly dont shout it frm the rooftops!!)

REALLY???

I didn't know this! I'm kind of new to the whole childcare game - my son is almost 3, and I've been working evenings and weekends mostly to get my mobile business going. I want to start some salon work or longer jobs, so my son would be in childcare for 1 - 2 days a week, but was afraid it would cost too much.

Where can I get more info about this little loophole? I'd love to find a way to book him in for Thursday/Fridays - I'd be able to do so much more work if I had some decent blocks of time to do it in!!

Latest posts

Back