Home salons and dealing with the 'walk ins'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
It seems some Geeks have had potential clients knocking on their doors at all hours, which is obviously less than convenient to say the least.

Those of you who have home salons, what steps have you taken to reduce this from happening?

My husband works late shifts and night shifts regularly, so I need to be able to reassure him that I am taking steps to address this. I'm thinking about the wording on my price lists and maybe having 'strictly by appointment only' by the opening times.

Any other ideas would be greatly received. :)

It seems some Geeks have had potential clients knocking on their doors at all hours, which is obviously less than convenient to say the least.

Those of you who have home salons, what steps have you taken to reduce this from happening?

My husband works late shifts and night shifts regularly, so I need to be able to reassure him that I am taking steps to address this. I'm thinking about the wording on my price lists and maybe having 'strictly by appointment only' by the opening times.

Any other ideas would be greatly received. :)

It had never occured to me that clients would just turn up at a home salon!!

Who would do that?

I didn't think about it until I wrote a thread on how home salons advertise themselves. I wanted a little wall plaque next to my front door and maybe some price lists for people to take away.
I was scared off doing this as some Geeks then said people were banging on their doors at all hours.

What are you supposed to do?! I wouldn't have thought people would do half the things I read about on here, I am amazed by the antics of some of these clients daily!

I have it stated on my website & price lists that treatments are by appointment only but I have still had clients turn up unannounced. I forgot to lock my gate once and a client just marched straight into my garden then started freaking out because my dog was barking at her. I told her she was lucky it wasn't my Husband sunbathing with his moobs out.

I have a sign on my that says call for appointments on :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I have it stated on my website & price lists that treatments are by appointment only but I have still had clients turn up unannounced. I forgot to lock my gate once and a client just marched straight into my garden then started freaking out because my dog was barking at her. I told her she was lucky it wasn't my Husband sunbathing with his moobs out.
Pmsl. I would heart this if I wasn't on the app!

I've been working from home for almost a year now & apart from a client turning up an hour early (1st client of the day too, eek, was still eating my breakkie lol) I've only had 1 potential client turn up unannounced.

The night before I'd slipped down the stairs & ended up dislocating a toe & tearing the tendon. Didn't get back from the hossie 'til 12.30am then had to be back there for 8.30. So, eventually got home & fell asleep on the settee. Had only just woken up when there was the knock at the door which I went & answered. Cheeky moo only wanted an appointment pretty much there & then! Errr I think not! Still felt a tad guilty for not doing her lol

I have now added a paragraph under my T&C's on my landing page of my website. It basically puts it nicely about pre arranged times etc.

I think I might go ahead with the wall plaque and price lists, but add something short and sweet to it about being appointment only.

No excuses then!

Go to Vistaprint.com and order an outside sign. They are cheap).

Print on it:

"ENQUIRIES - Please take a leaflet(arrow point to leaflet box beside sign), and please call me as I am unable to see you without an appointment. Thank You."

Works a treat! :)

I've had this problem quite a few times. One lady, at Christmas, turned up at about 7.30pm, drove into my drive and because my dog was outside (the lady doesn't like dogs), she sat in her car beeping her horn till I came out in the pouring rain. I had my nephews school play on and was already running late, trying to get me three kids out and she not only wanted an appointment, but wanted me to give her a discount on it as well. :smack:. She's not the only one and that wasn't her last time. I have it written on my website "appointment only", I've tried closing my gates and leaving the dog out, but nothing works:Scared: Other than a note on my gate so "Naff off" :)wink2:), I don't think I'll stop them.

Maybe she was hoping for a flash of your fellas moobs rather than wanting an appointment??;)

I can honestly say I have NEVER heard of such awful experiences, I must be very lucky to have such polite and respectful clients!!
I have been working from home for over a year and all my clients know to call, text or email before booking or rearranging an appointment, I don't do walk in's!!!
I would recommend putting a sign up at your door or gate and when taking new enquiries or bookings remind all clients that you only work by appointment only!! Also have it printed on pricelists and website etc..

HTH xx good luck xxx

If you can find a nice flat piece of slate or stone a local grave stone engraver can write on it, with metal you can go to cobblers or trophy shops, cobblers also do number and name plates so you could specify what you want on it.
I would get a plaque of some kind depending which is cheapest and hang it on or next to the gate saying opening times and in larger writing, appointments only. You could use a number lock on the gate so family and friends can let themself in but unwanted clients can't (remember to remove it when clients are expected).
If you have a drive, and don't want clients using it then chains are around £3 a meter in b&q, all you would need is a eye screw and a hook to be able to block it off without the outlay and work of gates. You can also get plastic signs to be hung on the chain with the info saying about client times.

If you wanted also, get one of them clip frames, paint the back board in pva glue with 2 coats, use a laminator for the info you want on te sign and hang it, use no more nails, a blob on the glass and inside of the back, then on the wall/gate/fence whatever that way no one can steal it xoxo

Great ideas Tomme. I'll try some of those. However, the woman that pulls up outside my house and beeps her horn till I go out might need something a bit extra.

Great ideas Tomme. I'll try some of those. However, the woman that pulls up outside my house and beeps her horn till I go out might need something a bit extra.

An ASBO maybe?!

How rude!

A Bazooka maybe?

I had a shop for 7 years had loads of walk ins, although never done them too busy and home based 8 years and thank god that had not happened and I hope it never does! Mainly I have regulars anyway, but seriously why just turn up? if someone if good they ain't going to be waiting for you just to turn up, tell them to phone or drop a note through your door if they are phone email phobic!

In 16 years i've never had a walk-by client, however, in my area you're not allowed to put any signage up to show you work from home so unless someone had an appointment they wouldn't know.

Latest posts

Back