Home Salons -v- Shop Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmynails

Reaction score
Hi Y'all
Thought it might be interesting to start a topic [sure it's been done before] on thoughts about the differences between the home salon and those in the High Street with a shop window.
Another love I have [apart from nails] is in Psychology [graduated in 2000 with Open University] and hence, I am interested in the psychological issues regarding the decisions people make about their working environment.
I am a pure home bird - love to be in my home - however, that isn't really healthy in some ways because it can be quite isolative. I want to have customers but I have no shop front and therefore, advertising is probably more important. I am effectively inviting strangers into my home and so I have to consider security. Whilst for me, it's really nice to think that I don't have to travel to work, I think the social aspect of daily life is so important - I miss out on the 'works Christmas do' etc etc but then again, I am only responsible to myself and do not have to consider other members of staff. I like the fact that I don't have to please anyone other than myself but I think that's selfish in a way - team work is so satisfying if you are working in a nice atmosphere but it must be horrible when you have the workmate from hell!!
So many issues - I'd be really interested in other people's thoughts on the working environment.
Look forward to hearing other people's views on this.
All the best
Carol

i have both sides to this cause i work from home and work in a salon.

i prefer to work from home as it is more relaxing and less stressful i can book out as long as i want and not worry that other clients are sitting being kept waiting if i run over time.
my home clients seem so much less demanding as well they happily listen to my advice and respect my work and are always asking for bussiness cards to give out to friends etc :D ,secruity did worry me at first cause you dont always know who u are inviting in , i have never had a bad experice (touch wood :salute: ).i also like the fact i can be in charge of my home business as i see fit to.and fit clients in when i want to :D .the downside can be if your clients are not regular then you dont get paid,or when starting up it can be slow.

from the salon side of view, yep i mostly enjoy going to work,but hate that clients see me and the other nail tech as second best to the boss who does beauty and nails ,as they will often say oh do u think you should with check with boss (dont want to put her name) :hit: or if they have prob they will almost try to get u in trouble by not going back to you to fix but her :twisted: and you think :hit:
also it can be tireing if you have say 5 people booked one after the other for 1 1/2 hour appointments and you run over,and you are constanly trying to catch up.
it can get bitchy as well

but nice to mingle with others

all in all though i think i would prefer to just work at home,but then again i do have quite a good deal doing both :D

hi ,
i want to work from home i have tanned a few up at home in the summer. i am in the yellow pages in oct for the su-do tan i feel not ready for the nail side yet.
i have no choice to work from home after having my last kid i started getting stressed and started feeling hot and blacking out now i know when these attacks feel they are coming on i start having a panic attack as well. i am ok when i have a fan on me all the time but you look stupid taking it to courses with you and no one understands its mess my life up if i dont sleep well then that can bring it on. doctors say you have got to learn to coupe with it. its hard just going to the dentist :oops:

I have worked from home now for almost 4 years and it suits me very well.

OK maybe I dont get the benefit from walk-ins but I have two 6 year olds and I take them to school every day and pick them up. If they are unwell and off school I can still work.

I did rent a room in a hair salon last year and it was a bit of a disaster - I was stuck in a back room and no one really knew I was there - sometimes I would go there having turned clients down at home to do only one manicure. I would walk round the salon talking to the hair clients but not many of them were interested.

Yes the down side is you dont get the social interaction and the bouncing ideas off each other - but I get all that here :D

It works for me - I can do house stuff in between clients or stock ordering etc.

mmmmmmmmm tricky 1...i have just opened my own salon 4 weeks ago, however i miss my kids like mad, feel im always at work...just got married too 4 weeks ago and never see my hubby...we'll see how it goes....ask me again at xmas...vicx

I have been a Nail Tech for approx 2.5 years, and have worked in High Street Salons and been Mobile, I have just opened by own Nail Salon at the bottom of my garden, by our Swimming Pool, to me this is a dream come true, it is something I have wanted to do since I began.

It is so lovely, to get up in the morning, and only have to go a few steps to work, and it doesnt seem to bad to be quiet at the moment, as I can pop up to the house and spend time with my dogs, and look up great web sites like this !!

Give me Home Salons any day,

And I agree that my ladies do seem to have a totally different attitude come to my salon that one in the High Street, they dont seem to have that air of rush rush rush, about them. :D :D

I went into this business so that it would allow me to earn money and also spend lots of time with my family. I could not work in a salon as I would have to commit to working levels that would not meet my family needs.

However I work a compromise. I work with another tech so that we can cover each other for holidays / sickness etc. We share stock and generally support each other. We help each other with childcare too.

Most of my clients have childcare issues so they could not go to a salon. I am also a registered childminder, so I can have kids here and the other tech does nails or I just go to them (generally they prefer that).

The only thing I miss is having a shop to have all those wonderful products on sale (they are so nice).

Well, thanks everyone for the feedback - it's been interesting reading about all the thoughts of everyone who posted. Maybe we'll get some more but for the time being - it looks like the home salon is the most popular. I guess it'll be even more so now that autumn is here and the days are getting shorter and darker - how nice to not have to go out and catch the bus first thing on a morning!!!!

Thanks again

Carol

I work full time during the day and offer nail services from home to those that also work during the day, in the evenings and some weekends! Personally i love it and advertise by putting leaflets around locally through letterboxes :D

I have worked in a salon but didn't enjoy it very much as i had to use their products. :(

PS: Does anyone know - am i allowed to sell nail varnishes from home? :?:

Hi all

I am mobile and have been doing nails for about 2 years, I have 2 kids and I work part time for a bank and then fit nails in in the evenings. 8) I tend to go to other peoples homes. Everyone is really friendly when you're in their homes, and I've not had a bad experience yet. Although most of my clients are friend of friends of friends!! :? Some like to come to my house, but we have been renovating an old property so that hasnt been particularly practical. Also I have not had to advertise my services as my own nails on others seem to generate enough business at the moment. This works for me until I want to expand or run out of evenings!
Got to say I do like having the choice, being my own boss, when I want to work etc

I get my hints and best practices from this site, which has been a great help to me.

cheerio

Julie

I thoroughly enjoy "going" to the salon to do my client's nails. I am a semi-private person and do not relish the idea of strangers in my home, where I live, where I play, where I lay my head. Nope, no ma'am. I keep very close to me those I allow in my personal space. And, IMHO, having a seperate entrance ain't enough. Folk still know it's your home, plus in a zone which is not commercial. Nope, nada, can't do it! We have laws regarding which areas may be zoned commercial (though many folk ignore it, sidestep laws for personal convenience, i.e., taxes. etc.) But, overall I guess I am glad they are in place.

When services are done in a bonified salon, one can assume (notice I said assume) certain standards are being met, i.e., sanitation. All I know is they are at my salon. We even have a washer/dryer on premises in the dispenser which is a great aid in cleanliness. I wouldn't trade my salon for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back