Home shed/home salon room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug queen

Beauty
Reaction score
Really thinking about starting up at home, I already have a big client base. Would people say it’s a good or bad idea ? I currently rent a room above a salon. Clients are mine as downstairs is a hairdressers, I am fully self employed. I know a lot would follow me, as it is literally about 5 miles difference. What’s everyone’s opinions and advice ? X

Go for it!

The clients belong to you as you are self employed so nothing stopping you from telling them all. Once you've done up a room at home you wont be paying rent or percentage to anyone, and it will be 100% your own x

Which do people think would be better? In house or in a shed type thing ? Xxx

Go for it!

The clients belong to you as you are self employed so nothing stopping you from telling them all. Once you've done up a room at home you wont be paying rent or percentage to anyone, and it will be 100% your own x

And thank you for your supportive reply! [emoji4]x

It's completely up to you, i think client would like both as long as they are up to standard.

It depends if you mind the clients being in your house or not x

I have a studio on my garden, me and my partner and cats aren’t tidy enough to have ppl in the house [emoji23]xxx

Aww brilliant well done! How do you get on if people need to use your loo? Do you let them in your house ? And do you have adequate parking ? Xxx

I wouldn't care where they were done as long as they were done properly (by that I mean hygiene up to scratch, products stored safely, comfortable table and chairs, etc.) actual location is not an issue.

As an extra point the one thing I do need is a toilet. I'm terrible for nervous bladder and needing a wee. I will 'go' anywhere if I'm desperate but a nice loo would be preferable.

I wouldn't care where they were done as long as they were done properly (by that I mean hygiene up to scratch, products stored safely, comfortable table and chairs, etc.) actual location is not an issue.

As an extra point the one thing I do need is a toilet. I'm terrible for nervous bladder and needing a wee. I will 'go' anywhere if I'm desperate but a nice loo would be preferable.

"Go anywhere" made me chuckle lol. Now I just imagine having clients sneak behind a bush in the garden for their business. :eek::p

Do it! I tried rooms...4 of them... It just gave so many extra factors to consider... Noise, people, timings, costs...

Working at home works for me. It works for my clients. They like quiet. They like not having to negotiate a busy salon of people or a gym or a shop to get to me. They like that it is always just us. I love my room, my decor, my peace and quiet.

If you are 95% sure it's what you want to do, then that's enough. But don't give your clients uncertainty. Plan it, prepare it, do it, then tell them. I made the mistake of telling mine I was moving and booked in my future appointments, paid and the owner of the room said 'yeah in November I'm closing the shop.' (2 months time!). Be certain of every angle. Neighbours. Quiet times of day in your street. Giving notice to the person you rent from so they aren't left in the lurch and continue to recommend you.

Good luck!!!

I say do it! I love having my room in my house. Like the other posters said it's just you and the client. Its makes for a really personal and enjoyable experience! Mine is not ideal. It's in an open loft in an open concept house with my dog and kids etc. If I had the money and my hubby would let me, I'd convert the garage. Separate half bathroom, separate sterilizing sink, separate exterior entrance. It would be perfect! We can all dream..

Aww brilliant well done! How do you get on if people need to use your loo? Do you let them in your house ? And do you have adequate parking ? Xxx

It has a toilet and I have a 3 car driveway, it doesn’t affect any of my neighbours xx

Would you need to get any insurance of any kind?

I would definitely prefer a home set up, however before you invest check with the council first. I looked into this, you may have to pay business rates if your using a room/shed outside of the house, they also like to know things like how much traffic from clients it will attract amongst some other stuff x

If you do use something in your garden, be careful because if anyone complains the council will stop you working from it.
Using an existing room is a better option.
Putting a specific outside cabin/she’s etc can be more complicated than you first think.
There’s a lady who used to be on here had a lovely room in her garden like a fancy cabin, her neighbours complained they stopped her working from it immediately and couldn’t use it for business anymore.
So be aware of that before you spend money on it xx

If you do use something in your garden, be careful because if anyone complains the council will stop you working from it.
Using an existing room is a better option.
Putting a specific outside cabin/she’s etc can be more complicated than you first think.
There’s a lady who used to be on here had a lovely room in her garden like a fancy cabin, her neighbours complained they stopped her working from it immediately and couldn’t use it for business anymore.
So be aware of that before you spend money on it xx

Mine was originally set up for a home gym/ entertainment room to start with then we decided we wanted a family and I couldn’t carry on renting a chair in the salon I was at with added childcare costs etc so then turned it into a salon. I still use it as a home gym and an entertainment room when we have guests therefore it was already there (Not specifically built for salon use) and still is mixed use. My gym equipment is all weights squat racks Olympic bars so can easily be stored away so it prodominatly looks like a salon. Every council is different but katmoz is correct. They can also stop you doing it from a room in your house if it affect your neighbours. Luckily my neighbours and council are very supportive probably because the studio was already existing for a year or 2 before putting salon stuff in there, and the fact it is still used for other things probably helps me xxxx

Thank you for everyone. Really good advice. Xxxxx

Latest posts

Back