Home working - delivery issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
I've worked from my detached converted garage for 3 years. I purposefully don't have any signs so most of the time you'd never know I was in there, but over the last 6 months I've had terrible trouble with delivery men. One occasion a delivery guy almost banged the door down, whilst shouting "hello, I know you're in there!!" (apparently he could hear the music) and frightened the life out of me and my half naked massage client. I decided to put up a sign at the house to say that people must not knock on the garage door and that all deliveries must go to the house only. However this has prompted more activity than ever! I even had an argument with one delivery guy because he said that the garage is part of the house so if they know I'm in there they have a right to knock :rolleyes:

I've since had my post man do the same thing! He has known I've worked in there for years and usually leaves parcel round the back of the house, so I was really shocked when the door handle was going up and down and the door was shaking like someone was trying to break in! Luckily I lock the door on the inside. I went out and told him I was massaging and he was disturbing me, but he didn't seem remotely bothered.

Anyone had the same issues or know a way round it???
I've already stopped ordering things online - although this isn't very practical long term and sometimes my husband forgets or family / friends send us things etc. I've looked at parcel boxes but the only place I could store this would be at the back of the house - where they used to leave parcels anyway!!

Many companies offer pick up points for deliveries, we have a few to choose from. Can you get parcels sent to a different address? Tbh, I'd hate to work as a delivery driver these days

They only get paid if they deliver with some courier companies and they don't want to come back hence the probable persistence.

Can the parcels go to hubbys work place instead? Xx

Oh god I have the same issue!! They really don’t understand what we’re doing behind these locked doors I think. As somebody has said before I now have everything that I can delivered to my husbands work address. Occasionally it’s not possible but if you prewar your client that you’re waiting for a very important delivery so may have to break away for a second.. not ideal but if it’s only once in a while it’s not so bad. My husband does get a bit fed up with bringing something home for me everyday but it’s the easiest way!

I've only had an issue with one driver who would go round to the back of my house banging in windows and looking in the salon window. Drove me nuts! Fortunately he doesn't come anymore - probably loads of complaints. Very scary, just think if you were an elderly person, home alone.

I have a sign at my front door which says to 'leave parcels in the box by the front door' with my signature on it.
This is what my DPD delivery man told me to do - so if I can't answer the door, he takes a photo of my sign as authorisation to leave it.
With my other wholesalers such as Ellisons, there is a box I can fill in when ordering on line to tell them to leave it in the designated box. This way, they don't even have to ring the bell.

I've only had an issue with one driver who would go round to the back of my house banging in windows and looking in the salon window. Drove me nuts! Fortunately he doesn't come anymore - probably loads of complaints. Very scary, just think if you were an elderly person, home alone.

I have a sign at my front door which says to 'leave parcels in the box by the front door' with my signature on it.
This is what my DPD delivery man told me to do - so if I can't answer the door, he takes a photo of my sign as authorisation to leave it.
With my other wholesalers such as Ellisons, there is a box I can fill in when ordering on line to tell them to leave it in the designated box. This way, they don't even have to ring the bell.

Thats very helpful, thank you for the tip - I'll try that! Willing to try anything. As you say it can be quite scary when you suddenly have someone banging on the doors and windows and quite aggressive behaviour in my experience. Totally unnecessary.

Can the parcels go to hubbys work place instead? Xx

He travels a lot working on customer sites so not that practical, although he does have a main office so I might have to suggest this to him. Thank you!

Many companies offer pick up points for deliveries, we have a few to choose from. Can you get parcels sent to a different address? Tbh, I'd hate to work as a delivery driver these days

I live rural, so the collection points are never local for me. Tbh online shopping has only been a preference since I've had a baby. Agree I wouldn't like the job either - although I'm unsure why they need to be so aggressive? I'm more than happy for all parcels to be left outside and most of them do this, but just a few guys who have found out that I work in the garage so insist on banging the doors down and shouting :rolleyes:

I live rural, so the collection points are never local for me. Tbh online shopping has only been a preference since I've had a baby. Agree I wouldn't like the job either - although I'm unsure why they need to be so aggressive? I'm more than happy for all parcels to be left outside and most of them do this, but just a few guys who have found out that I work in the garage so insist on banging the doors down and shouting :rolleyes:
Oh I understand completely. Ive had my fair share of run ins with one company. One of my clients told me that she refused to accept a parcel from APC as she didn't know who the recipient was and the driver told her if she didn't accept it, he would throw it in her garden! She refused... he threw it! Just unacceptable! Have you spoken to the company? Report every rude driver

Latest posts

Back