Honest opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimaxwill

Reaction score
Hi, I trained in 2009 to be a beauty therapist and also trained with Calgel and several other beauty treatments. I only ever do about 1 set of nail extensions every month or two, as I offer a lot of other treatments. I take about 2 hours to do them, Im never happy with them, though have had no complaints yet not many repeat appointments and feel Im much better at doing shellac and regular manicures.

I just want some confirmation that unless I do a lot more (and I mean a lot!!) Im not going to get better, so should I just concentrate on my other treatments that I enjoy and feel confident in. (Think I have answered my question!)

Thank you annie xx

Hi darl.
IMO I wouldnt offer something that I am a bit "ordinary" at.
Offer what your proud and confident at doing.:)

Hi, I trained in 2009 to be a beauty therapist and also trained with Calgel and several other beauty treatments. I only ever do about 1 set of nail extensions every month or two, as I offer a lot of other treatments. I take about 2 hours to do them, Im never happy with them, though have had no complaints yet not many repeat appointments and feel Im much better at doing shellac and regular manicures.

I just want some confirmation that unless I do a lot more (and I mean a lot!!) Im not going to get better, so should I just concentrate on my other treatments that I enjoy and feel confident in. (Think I have answered my question!)

Thank you annie xx

Hmmm...in my opinion I would say get as much practise as you can! I'm similar to you in that 90% of my work is natural nail (manicure or Gelish) so I don't get much practice with L&P and in turn have no confidence with it.

I almost stopped offering it, but instead got a few more people (friends) to be models and I take pics of each one after. Even from the few sets I've done I can see improvement as I go along - although I need lots more!!

Depends whether you really want to master it or not - I do, so I'm going to keep at it and hopefully get better. I think as long as people know you are gaining practise (maybe do them cheaper for a limited period) they are more than happy.
:)

I'm the same. I offer most beauty treatments as well as nails. Gelish seems to have taken over my business now and that's mainly what I do. I only end up doing l&p maybe once a month and it can take me 2 - 2.5 hours! I feel like I do an ok job at them (although clients have told me they are great) but I'm just lacking confidence in them. Thought about removing from my price list but had a few bookings for them recently so I'll see how I go. I get the feeling the client gets really bored because I take so long. But my last lady did say she didn't mind how long I take because I always do a good job. Which is nice to hear. I guess if we want to do them well have to stick at it xx

well you can look at this in two ways,

you are not confident and therefore feel you want to look at other services.

or you can build up your confidence, by practising and getting some more education. I am sure a one to one session, would help you build your confidence no end!

No-one is going to force you to do enhancements, so its YOUR choice.

best of luck

tigi
xx

I'll ask you some questions, I don't want the answers here, just think about the answers.
How much do you charge for a leg wax and how long does it take you?
Same question for a facial.
Now, how much are you charging for a set of nails that is taking you two hours?
See, I'll do a full set of nails if I have to, but it takes me, like you two hours, it's the first thing I learned to do and when they are right I love it. But if I can do a set of shellac fingers and toes or minx and add a spray tan on to that, I've earned three times the price of a set of l&p nails spent half the time on them and I know that client will be back in two weeks time.:hug:

Thank you for your replies I really appricate them. I would love to be good at them but to be truthful with two young children and working in the evenings i know that I can't devote the time to practice them. So i have decided (also found out this week that Im allergic to the product!!) to stop doing them and concentrate on what Im good at and maybe in the future when I have the time to invest try them again.
Thank you Annie xx

Latest posts

Back