Honest replies please - go or no go?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Try new hairdressing career at 44?

• Total voters

Antonette

Reaction score
Hello there community! I am at a crossroads and I need help. I'm 44 (allegedly look 34!) And am seriously considering a career change. Life, stress and anxiety ridden panic attacks have lead me to this post. I love hair. Period. But I've never pursued it as a career. I would be a complete newbie. Go or No go? I really appreciate any help I can get right now. Thank you!!

Oh god go go go. You simply have nothing to lose.

There are a few threads on here re starting out later in life. I trained in beauty at 37 and now after 10 years working from home and a few renting a room, I now have a salon and 3 staff.

Go for it x

Go for it!
What do you do now?
I trained to do semipermanent makeup last year it's still early days but so much more rewarding I used to be a teachers assistant and I'm 37!
Good luck X

go for it! i hear this alot and if u love hair already u wont regret it :) x

Oh god go go go. You simply have nothing to lose.

There are a few threads on here re starting out later in life. I trained in beauty at 37 and now after 10 years working from home and a few renting a room, I now have a salon and 3 staff.

Go for it x
Thank you for responding, I appreciate you!

go for it! i hear this alot and if u love hair already u wont regret it :) x
I feel the love, lol! I'm so happy with my replies. Thank you!

Go for it!
What do you do now?
I trained to do semipermanent makeup last year it's still early days but so much more rewarding I used to be a teachers assistant and I'm 37!
Good luck X
I was a paralegal for twelve years and then I decided to switch it up and become a teacher's assistant for preschoolers...didn't work!

Its scary, but if your unhappy in your career at the moment then you need to change.

Its scary, but if your unhappy in your career at the moment then you need to change.
Very overwhelming, but I agree I have to do something. I just don't know about returning to school, I'm hoping I can just be an apprentice at first....

Im not sure how it works in the US, ask around in some salons x

In the US you must go through a school and get the hours in that way before you are allowed to take the state boards. No way around it I'm afraid. I say invest in your education. Go to the best school possible.

Im not sure how it works in the US, ask around in some salons x
will will
In the US you must go through a school and get the hours in that way before you are allowed to take the state boards. No way around it I'm afraid. I say invest in your education. Go to the best school possible.
Thanks for this info ;-)

Go for it! I'm in the same boat x

Where are you?

I enquired at Empire Beauty School today. ;-)

I'm trying..thinking about student loans makes me nervous. But, if this is what it takes to be happy, I have no choice!

Do you have any community colleges in your area? If so, check out their cosmo. programs.

Latest posts

Back