Hook/Claw shape nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paula

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a client on Monday who I think has hook/claw shaped nails (not sure of the difference), her nails have a high upper arch and the free edge sort of curves over her fingertips.

She is having french L/P. Am I right to say keep cut the natural nails as short as possible and use velocity tips.

Any tips would be great.

Love
Paula

Hi Paula,

I'm interested in the reply as my mum has the same nails but also thickened nail plates. She would love me to do enhancements for her but
my first attempt was a disaster.

Jackie X

Best thing for a hook nail is to use a performance form and sculpt the nail. Sometimes if you put a tip on the end it still looks hooked.

My friend had a hooked nail but lucky enough a tip looked great.

If the tiplooks hooked try sculpting this will work.

Good luck

Cazza :D :D

Well, I can sculpt but am not very good at it!!! So what I've done in the past is apply the tip at a slightly upwards angle (not a lot) and then overlay. This will then give the appearance of a normal nail. The only problem with this is 'curlingonysuckus' as the Geek would describe it!!!!! :rolleyes: As the nail grows it may have a tendency to pull away from the tip. If this happens read Geeks article from Scratch 4 which is on this site.

Hi Paula
Hope I can help a wee bit :D
OK what I do is file the free edge short, a tip with a deep C curve is best then remove some of the contact area.
Also make sure there is no gap between the tip and the nail plate as we don't want any crap :D getting onto the nail plate.
Try to keep the finished nails at a sensible lenght as the longer the free edge the more the curve will appear.
Take care and good luck Dawnie xx

The advice you have been given is good advice.

Just remember that this type of nail is included in the 'difficult' category in as much as (similar to ski-jump nails) the client must be made aware that to keep the 'make over' look going, full sets are essential more often than the average client with average nail type.

There is no avoiding the fact that these nails are always going to grow downwards and, as I think Dawnie said, the 'hooked' look will eventually reappear as the natural nail grows - when this happens it's time for a 'soak 'n set' - usually every 2-3 months or so, depending on the client's growth rate.

Thanks girls for you help and advice.....let you know how I get on

Paula
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back