Hormonal acne

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankie face fix from Tibby Olivier should make a difference
People have been getting great results on their acne with this.

Totally unrelated to skin care but this same thing happened to me - was on the pill for years and when I came off I developed full-blown acne which made me very self conscious. I asked the doctor to refer me to a gynaecologist and after an ultrasound and blood test discovered I had polycystic ovaries even though I didn't have any of the traditional symptoms (hairy, putting on weight etc). The pill up until that point had been keeping my hormone levels under control which is why I never knew I had it. The doc put me back on the pill. It may be worth you visiting your GP just to make sure there's no other underlying cause for your break out xx

Totally unrelated to skin care but this same thing happened to me - was on the pill for years and when I came off I developed full-blown acne which made me very self conscious. I asked the doctor to refer me to a gynaecologist and after an ultrasound and blood test discovered I had polycystic ovaries even though I didn't have any of the traditional symptoms (hairy, putting on weight etc). The pill up until that point had been keeping my hormone levels under control which is why I never knew I had it. The doc put me back on the pill. It may be worth you visiting your GP just to make sure there's no other underlying cause for your break out xx

Thanks, this has crossed my mind, especially with my skin getting worse and worse as the months go on.
How did you feel about going back on the pill? Has it helped you?

Frankie face fix from Tibby Olivier should make a difference
People have been getting great results on their acne with this.

Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Hormones are funny things!! I had great skin as a teenager, the odd spot here & there but never acne!! I get to about 22/23 & develop horrendous acne on my chin I had tried everything (& I mean EVERYTHING!!!) anyway I am going to cut to the chase I use freederm facial cleanser, the one in the pump top it's about £9/£10 from boots, I always stock up when it's on offer, it's half price at the moment!! I use that morning & night, initially I used the rapid spot gel, also from freederm, but my skin is so under control, I now just use the facial cleanser & nothing else !!! It's so gentle & kind to the skin It contains an active ingredient that fights spot causing bacteria!!
It's taken me 10 years to find something that works, I cannot recommend it enough! It probably took 4/6 wks for my skin to calm down but I cannot remember the last time I had an outbreak! I've been using this for probably 10 months & it's fabulous!!! Try it you won't regret it!!!! X

Iv had bad skin skin being pregnant with my 3rd 19months later it hasn't improved :( if decided to try reflexology instead of lotions and potions! I religiously use dermalogica morning and night, had also thought about the lumie clear light? Had anyot tried it? X

Hormones are funny things!! I had great skin as a teenager, the odd spot here & there but never acne!! I get to about 22/23 & develop horrendous acne on my chin I had tried everything (& I mean EVERYTHING!!!) anyway I am going to cut to the chase I use freederm facial cleanser, the one in the pump top it's about £9/£10 from boots, I always stock up when it's on offer, it's half price at the moment!! I use that morning & night, initially I used the rapid spot gel, also from freederm, but my skin is so under control, I now just use the facial cleanser & nothing else !!! It's so gentle & kind to the skin It contains an active ingredient that fights spot causing bacteria!!
It's taken me 10 years to find something that works, I cannot recommend it enough! It probably took 4/6 wks for my skin to calm down but I cannot remember the last time I had an outbreak! I've been using this for probably 10 months & it's fabulous!!! Try it you won't regret it!!!! X

Thanks, do you find its still quite gentle on your skin? Does it dry your skin out too much so you have to put lots of moisturiser on? Do they do a toner and moisturiser too?

Iv had bad skin skin being pregnant with my 3rd 19months later it hasn't improved :( if decided to try reflexology instead of lotions and potions! I religiously use dermalogica morning and night, had also thought about the lumie clear light? Had anyot tried it? X

Hey, is the reflexology helping?

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any help or advice......

I stopped the pill in March and since then my skin has got worse and worse to the point where I now have acne. I'm so down about it as I always used to have good skin with an occasional spot around my period.

I have really good skin care so not concerned about that, I have a fairly healthy diet, I drink lots of water and eat plenty of fruit although my veg intake could be improved some days. I do however have a sweet tooth and I'm partial to a little bit of chocolate now and again.

I'm convinced its internal, diet/hormones and not skin care but wondered if anyone had any dietary advice or any advice generally. Any help would be great, I'm so down with this :(

Thanks

Hello
Leave dairy out for a month and see what happens.. strongly recommend! also try to eat lots of veggies, fruit, drink water... on youtube you can watch lots of people who cured their acne with a vegan diet (no meat, eggs, dairy) but that might be too extreme I know, however, leaving out dairy can have some amazing results. Good luck!!!!

Hey, is the reflexology helping?

Iv only just started! Hoping it does though also as another girl said leaving out dairy and sugar!

Hello
Leave dairy out for a month and see what happens.. strongly recommend! also try to eat lots of veggies, fruit, drink water... on youtube you can watch lots of people who cured their acne with a vegan diet (no meat, eggs, dairy) but that might be too extreme I know, however, leaving out dairy can have some amazing results. Good luck!!!!

Hi, I did read some where that cutting out dairy has good results. I've cut down a lot on dairy, I am a vegetarian so sometimes rely on cheese for meals but starting to use alternatives now and I only ever have soya milk, have done for ages now.

Thanks for your advice

I don't eat, diary or gluten or sugar and at first that worked. Now for some reason I can't work out. Mine is back angrier than ever. Bloody hormones.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Is there a reason that you don't want to go back onto the pill?
About 6/7 months ago I change the pill I was on because my skin was a mess! I tried dairy free wheat free gluten free etc you name it it went on my face!
The only thing that made it back to normal was the pill second best was those supplements Vic mentioned in the first comment by IIAA auxumax I think they are called! Expensive but amazing!! Doesn't cause any sensitivity on the skin and help reduce and clear breakouts!!

Thanks, this has crossed my mind, especially with my skin getting worse and worse as the months go on.
How did you feel about going back on the pill? Has it helped you?

Going back on the pill wasnt a problem for me as I don't want children but I'm just rubbish at remembering to take it!! I went back on it for a while and then switched to the mirena coil and with both my skin has been totally fine. X

I don't eat, diary or gluten or sugar and at first that worked. Now for some reason I can't work out. Mine is back angrier than ever. Bloody hormones.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Are you stressed? I think that can make mine worse too

About 6/7 months ago I change the pill I was on because my skin was a mess! I tried dairy free wheat free gluten free etc you name it it went on my face!
The only thing that made it back to normal was the pill second best was those supplements Vic mentioned in the first comment by IIAA auxumax I think they are called! Expensive but amazing!! Doesn't cause any sensitivity on the skin and help reduce and clear breakouts!!

Hi, I'd been on the same pill for 10 years plus and in the last year or so I've been an emotional wreck and not just before my period I was crying at the drop of a hat, anxious all the time, although Im not sure it was made worse by the pill, just felt like it was time to come off it. I did see the doc about changing to another one but I was put off with the possibility of weight gain. My husband and I aren't planning to have children yet but maybe next year so thought I'd get prepared! Hehe.
I feel so much better not being on it, a lot less anxious but again this could be physcological and not teary or angry just before.

Do you know where I can buy IIAA auxumax from? Can they be taken for a long time and completely safe to do so?

I think you really need to be careful of yet more "this worked for me" anecdotal evidence.

I don't know where you are but I offer my clients a full consultation and a refund if they're not happy.

I also worry that people will throw 10 things at a skin condition in the hope that something will work - microdermabrasion, peels, scrubs and so on. Your skin has an acid mantle that needs nurturing, not attacking!

I also really believe that our skin - and bodies - can cope with mediocre diets, alcohol, dairy intake etc when we are well, balanced physically and emotionally but when there is imbalance we can become ill, spotty, constipated, gluten intolerant etc etc.

Just something to think about.

Re accumax. It's available from many environ stockists. Myself included!

That's my 10 cents!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello, can I ask why you say ditch the cleanse and polish? What would you recommend instead? Thanks

Sorry - only just been back on here. I know that it aggravated my acne when I had it, it made it a lot worse.

As someone else has mentioned, diet is very important. Have a look at this as well:

Caroline Hirons: Acne - Cheat Sheet

her advice has completely changed my skin!

I read somewhere acne can be made worse by eating meat and ingesting hormones pumped into meat. Would anyone say there is any truth in this? Just curious .....

Latest posts

Back