Horsey Geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Skin Day

Reaction score
Hey I didn't realise there were quite a few of us on here!

I know rachp's a horsey gal, but now Merrick and andromena as well....

Any more hiding in the woodwork?

So what do you do with your horses? Are you happy hackers or do any of you compete?:green:

Hey Amy!!

Im a happy hacker! - my big fella Dominic is a friesian he is gorge, ive also got a little old lady called May-Sue she is a Welsh section B and she is 35! sadly she had to have her eye out a month ago due to an infection, she looks a bit wierd but still happy and cute.

I go riding to Hungary once or twice a year its the most wonderful place and very cheap too. If i can work out how to i will post some piccys!

I'm a horsey geek too! Don't have my own horse any more but my 4 year old daughter has just started riding, so I'm waiting til she's a bit bigger.....!! Welsh Section A pony purchase coming on - I can feel it in my water.....

Me too, I am also one of the horsey fraternity..... Love to ride, more of a happy hacker but dont mind a little bit of clear round etc.

Hi I am also a fellow rider - had horses for the past 18 years - have a TBxwarmblood at the mo - he's 16.1HH and turned 21 in August - dont really rider anymore - havent the time and hes not bothered - he's done cross country and 3 day eventing since he was 4!!!! Nearly lost hin last summer due to strangles so am now very protective!!!!

Ooh rach...I thought your lad might be a Friesian from your avatar....my ex-fella used to breed them, beautiful beautiful horses :green:

Vetty I have two sec A broodmares on my land at the min, with two colt foals at foot! One of my mates rescued them before they dropped....turns out they have rather good bloodlines too!

I have two mares, my big Danish Warmblood lady and my little nippy TB lady, both for competition purposes....I love hacking but need that adrenaline rush once in a while too!

youve got your hands full Amy! :eek: I know what you mean about adrenaline rush though, nothing like it on this earth is there:)

Im a horsey geek too!! I have always had horses and my recent horse, a 10 year old 16hh warmblood is out on loan to a friend at the mo as he is a bit crazy and needs lots of riding everyday, which I just dont have the time to do at mo! I competed until 2 years ago when I had a nasty fall, and lost my bottle a bit! It hurts more at my age!!!!!:eek: I did have a shetland mare as well until last year, for my boys, but they lost interest so she is now with her mum as pets to a lovely lady at my yard! I miss my horse badly but had to be practical!:sad:

Ooh rach...I thought your lad might be a Friesian from your avatar....my ex-fella used to breed them, beautiful beautiful horses :green:

Vetty I have two sec A broodmares on my land at the min, with two colt foals at foot! One of my mates rescued them before they dropped....turns out they have rather good bloodlines too!

I have two mares, my big Danish Warmblood lady and my little nippy TB lady, both for competition purposes....I love hacking but need that adrenaline rush once in a while too!

Don't tempt me Amy - my husband would divorce me if I bought a pony right now.....!!!! I've sown the seed about one in the future so I need to bide my time....!!

youve got your hands full Amy! :eek: I know what you mean about adrenaline rush though, nothing like it on this earth is there:)

Tell me about it! Especially when you're cannoning towards a trakehner with no brakes :rolleyes: :lol:

Vetty...you bide your time girl! The time will come when he just won't be able to cope with the constant nagging (every good woman's exocet weapon :green: ) from you and your daughter and he'll cave in, then you can start building your menagerie....

Cabinkel...what discipline did you compete in? Your fella sounds lovely, I am a huge warmblood fan :green:

I used to do 3 day eventing, (although crap at Dressage, me, not my boy), and jumping. He is a beautiful dark chestnut, and has the most amazing carriage. He is so gentle and my kids can sit under his belly etc, but he is as mad as a hatter to ride! Trees/puddles/blades of grass are very scary things you know:rolleyes: :eek:

I used to do 3 day eventing, (although crap at Dressage, me, not my boy), and jumping. He is a beautiful dark chestnut, and has the most amazing carriage. He is so gentle and my kids can sit under his belly etc, but he is as mad as a hatter to ride! Trees/puddles/blades of grass are very scary things you know:rolleyes: :eek:

I'm guessing you did CCI? What level did you compete at?

Warmbloods are notoriously rubbish with water! My Danish WB mare will never stop XC, but if there's a stride through the water, she'd rather do a bounce....very bold :eek:

I've only ever competed BE one day events, 3DE is pricey (and hard work!)!!:green:

Hi there

I've had my own horses now for 35 years non stop. My very first pony was put down new years day last year at 36 bless. From 11 years old my sister and I had 4, 2 of which were foals from the mares we had. None of them are surviving today.

At the mo I have a 16.1hh id/tb who is only 15 but suffering with arthritis so I have basically retired him over the last 2 years, had him 9 years. We used to do a little dressage, jumping, cross country fun rides and hacking. I also have a 12.2 pa/welsh who is 18 which I bought for my daughter 6 years ago. We used to show him and hack him, but now she is too big for him.
He had a big op 4 years ago to remove a non malignant sarcoma from the top of his leg, which he couldn't bend for ages. Now he is fully recovered and floats like a fairy!

I occasionally hack out a friend's horse and this made me realise just how much I miss riding. I'm now wanting to get a spanish horse!

In my early 40's I did my BHS stages and did some teaching at a naval yard. Got sick of hearing my voice all day, and must admit it was a bit like a cattle market, stopped that and went onto nails and beauty for a few years.

Next week I'm off to Devon to start my Elightened Equitation Teacher Training course. Dead excited about this, it's something I put my name down at 40 which got lost when they changed systems, now 5 years later they've had a cancellation. The trainer is Heather Moffett and she teaches a kinder way to ride on the more classical lines, link below if you are interested.
It'll take at least a year to do the first level which has 4 parts over each quarter of the year, then level 2 and 3 which has 1 part to each.

Enlightened Equitation

I can't ever imagine my life without horses.

Regards
Deb379

I think anything to do with horses is pricey!!!!
I only ever competed at novice level, I never had the bottle to do any thing else, although a girl that I used to have compete on my boy did well in the trailblazers a couple of years ago and got a place at stonleigh, then he went lame, (bruised frog) and I didnt want him going. He has a big jump and a lot of courage so may have done well but I was happy with my decision. He retired from competing 2 years ago, (apart from the odd local show) and I retired a bit before that!! The girl who has him on loan just enjoys him now to hack, school etc, nothing too much.

Next week I'm off to Devon to start my Elightened Equitation Teacher Training course. Dead excited about this, it's something I put my name down at 40 which got lost when they changed systems, now 5 years later they've had a cancellation. The trainer is Heather Moffett and she teaches a kinder way to ride on the more classical lines, link below if you are interested.
It'll take at least a year to do the first level which has 4 parts over each quarter of the year, then level 2 and 3 which has 1 part to each.

Enlightened Equitation

I can't ever imagine my life without horses.

Regards
Deb379

Hey Deb :green:

I have a Heather Moffett seat saver! Not quite as impressive as your course, but hey! :lol:

I'm guessing you did all your stages? Did you not fancy getting your AI?

Loads of luck with the course, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :green:

hi
i am a happy hacker, and do a bit of jumping and a few long distance rides when i can.
i ride both english and western style.

my horse is a black welsh section D with a blue eye, goes by the name of Borrinni Blue, and is a 15.1hh
he does do dressage, and we qualified for the equestian monthly last year at towerlands, braintree, essex
takes up alot of my time, i ride once or twice a day...............:eek: :eek:
i am just getting on my jods now to hack out at 6pm

by the way, if any one wants a real good american ranch holiday.........
me and the hubby went to tucson arizona in june, for 5 nights in the middle of no where, riding, riding, riding, riding, and riding, my husband got to play golf.
camp outs, cook outs, fun fun fun...................it was only me another girl, who barrel races that passed the lope test, so it was me and her that got to go on the cow herding and cow checking, out in the saddle for hours:confused: :confused:

this place was heaven on earth loved it, but i missed my trusty stead.

i am booked to go again next june, the people were just great!!!!
they have a pool and hot tub and home cooked food.......................yum yum, and a saloon

I'm a happy hacker, I haven't the time or money to have my own horse or the knowledge really. I ride a friends horse 'Jason' a pallamino arab/cob/thoroughbred he looks a bit like Barbies horse, when he's clean anyway, most of the time he's sort of patchy. Just can't stop him from rolling in the mud.

He has developed the ability to sniff out a polo at twenty yards and proceed to raid your pockets for them, however, decides that it is too much like hard work to come to me at the gate when he is at the very furthest reaches of the field. He looks at me, takes a few steps then decides he can't be bothered. I've tried bribing him with apples and mints but it didn't work.

I had a go on a colleagues insane animal a couple of weeks ago and its the windyest thing i've ever ridden, she uses him for dressage, so he thinks that the best place to put his head is between his knees. Even during canter!

Hi there

I've got a seat saver too great eh.

No I did my stage 2, was ready for stage 3 and ptt and then came up against a brick wall as to find a decent training establishment. i started paying privately for training for stage 3 at the naval place, but whenever I turned up it was "what do you want to do today!" I wasn't impressed to say the least. I wasn't getting much support back home as well, and just became demotivated. Also having 2 kids meant I missed a lot of opportunities because of school runs and holidays and no backup.

The kids are a little older now and I feel happy leaving them, and my thinking is sod it I'm going to do what I want this is my life!

Deb379

[COLOR=#4169e1 said:
I have a Heather Moffett seat saver! [/COLOR]

so do I!!! oh they are sooo fab couldnt live without it

Latest posts

Back