Hospital from lash extension. Am I responsible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcb85

Reaction score
Hi guys

I made a post earlier in the week about a client who I did SP lashes on on Sunday morning. Tuesday morning she text to say her right eye had swollen and was very sore. So I went and removed lashes that evening.
She said it felt a little better straight away.
I then messaged get today to see how she was and got this response:

Hi - it's not been great. Went to the doc & she prescribed topical antibiotics & antihistamines...pain persisted so went to eye casualty in Windsor, ophthalmologist scraped glue off eyelid (ouch) & prescribed stronger antibiotics which will make eyelashes fall out 8-( but I'm not in as much discomfort today x

I've never had a reaction like this! I've had one lady who became sensitised after 5 months but only a little itchy skin on her brow bone.
I feel absolutely awful.

Has anyone else had a client with such a bad reaction??

PS she wears a contact lenses in just one eye - the infected eye.

I have never had client with such bad reaction. May I know which adhesive do you use? Did any of the lashes touch skin by any chance? Also, it is weird that reaction only showed on one eye, as a rule allergy would show on both eyes. Do you have link to your original post? :hug:

Hi guys

I made a post earlier in the week about a client who I did SP lashes on on Sunday morning. Tuesday morning she text to say her right eye had swollen and was very sore. So I went and removed lashes that evening.

Hi - it's not been great. Went to the doc & she prescribed topical antibiotics & antihistamines...pain persisted so went to eye casualty in Windsor, ophthalmologist scraped glue off eyelid (ouch) & prescribed stronger antibiotics which will make eyelashes fall out 8-( but I'm not in as much discomfort today x

I've never had a reaction like this! I've had one lady who became sensitised after 5 months but only a little itchy skin on her brow bone.
I feel absolutely awful.

what has your insurance company advised? x

Hi guys

I feel absolutely awful.

How come they had to svrape off glue off eyelid? :( it is not supposed to touch the skin, but i do hope she is better now.

Also, she sounds like she is not blaming you for this. Has she had extensions done previously or was it her first time?

Jurate xx

It seems there is a few points:

Did you do a patch test? and if so did she react or was she fine with that?

Did you check if she had any changes to her hormones or been on any medication prior to the treatment?

You say she is wearing a contact lense in one eye, i assume that the lens was removed before the treatment?

You mention you removed the lashes that evening, so why did the doctor had to scrape off the adhesive? especially from the lid as the adhesive should never touch the skin to begin with?

It sounds a very severe reaction so its maybe worth finding out what happened, whether it is just your client being reactive to the treatment or if there is any problem with the products you use or the application so you an avoid any problems in the future?

It was her first set of lash extensions and I've not spoken to my insurance as I didn't feel I needed to as she's not blaming me in anyway or looking for compensation (fingers crossed)!

I can't get the link to my original post as I'm on my iPhone but it was entitled "should I charge for removal for allergic reaction".

I checked the lashes before I removed incase a lash was irritating the eye but nothing and definately no glue on any skin! Maybe some residue from removal on her eyelid but it was all fine when I left.
I'm just baffled by what could have happened.

I use eyelash emporium ultra glue and always been fine. I did 2 of her friends that day too and they're both fine which will show her it wasn't something I did as such.

It seems there is a few points:

Did you do a patch test? and if so did she react or was she fine with that?

Did you check if she had any changes to her hormones or been on any medication prior to the treatment?

You say she is wearing a contact lense in one eye, i assume that the lens was removed before the treatment?

You mention you removed the lashes that evening, so why did the doctor had to scrape off the adhesive? especially from the lid as the adhesive should never touch the skin to begin with?

It sounds a very severe reaction so its maybe worth finding out what happened, whether it is just your client being reactive to the treatment or if there is any problem with the products you use or the application so you an avoid any problems in the future?

Hi

Yes did a patch test and all fine.

And she didn't have the lens in when we did the lashes.

This is why I'm baffled as I followed my normal routine?!

Xx

I heard from so many clients/friends about the reaction to eyelash extension that I am seriously thinking to stop offering this treatment.

In 16 months this is the first case I've had. So unfortunate :(

I also work in NHS and had a girl come in eyes so swollen she looked like a frog her eyes were dripping fluid. She had been having extensions for years no new glue no new products same tech the doctors were just going to cut all the lashes off with a scalpel till I asked them to wait and I would go to my salon get the remover etc.
Anyway done that removed all lashes salvaged her natural lashes and gave chloramphenicol antibacterial cream and anti histamines I saw her a week later and her eyes were back to normal.
However they were so bad when I first saw her I thought she may even be blinded.

I analyse these things and really can't say why this happened and I'm sure she's had them back on with no I'll effects too. Perhaps the eyelash follicles become irritated and inflamed there is an eye mite that quite happily lives in human lashes and is only visible under a microscope and most people by age 50 have it. So was it related to that?
Could the tweezers not have been cleaned properly between clients? Perhaps using separate tweezers for each eye should be done as they do in ophthalmology.
The fact is we don't know for sure why this happens I'm sure it's not the glue or fumes otherwise it would be happening on every client, I'm still analysing and thinking this one out.

Perhaps some lashes are too heavy or even the natural cleansing of the eye is compromised by having lash extensions on but then I have clients who have had lashes on for years. The thing I would say is if your technique is good hygiene is good and using good products the risk is minimised but never eradicated, I was even wondering if we should always wear nitrile gloves I case some minute bacteria came off our own hands.
I'm sure in time more answers will be revealed but in the meantime geeks don't beat yourself up it happens sometimes, believe me cos I'm at both ends of this treatment:)

Good news is you did a patch test so in case she was going to make a claim it wouldn't make your insurance invalid. However, it's quite scary that this can happen. Did the glue touched her skin accidentally and that could have made the reaction? What is strange that it was only one eye that reacted. Maybe it hasn't even got anything to do with eyelash extensions?
I haven't done many sets yet but never had any sort of a reaction.
Sorry can't be more of a help.
xx

I'm just a bit confused why the doctors had to scrape glue and remove the lashes when u removed them? I can only speak from personal experience and I know a lot of people use it but I find the lash emporium glue very strong n had a few stinging eyes, just from fumes lol but I know it's good glue-it just scares me how tryin it is lol x

Sorry *how strong it is x

You really must speak to your insurance company immediately.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I asked her where they scraped glue from on her eyelid i.e inside or outside as Im curious to what happened.

She then told me they scraped it from the lash?! So that's changed now oddly.

Xx

You really must speak to your insurance company immediately.

I really agree with Lynne on this one, you should IMMEDIATELY speak to your insurance company even if she doesn't want compensation like you state above. It doesn't matter, she may want to take action in the future and you talking to her like this might just make you liable as you've known about the condition/problem and have not contacted you insurance to see how you should proceed.

I mean no disrespect but do you even have insurance??? as i've read many geeks telling you to contact you insurance and you still haven't. A phone call costs nothing but a problem like this can possibly cost you a reputation and money if the client wishes to do anything about it.

Hi
You said she wears a contact lense in one eye? Strangely enough my sister wears contacts and a few weeks ago her eyes swelled up, we're very red and puffy (she hadnt had any eyelash extensions or eye tretments) and she had to be treated for an infection and kept going back for checks at the opticians, my point is that maybe it wasn't actually anything to do with the lash extensions as her two friends that u also done lashes on we're fine, just a thought x

I really agree with Lynne on this one, you should IMMEDIATELY speak to your insurance company even if she doesn't want compensation like you state above. It doesn't matter, she may want to take action in the future and you talking to her like this might just make you liable as you've known about the condition/problem and have not contacted you insurance to see how you should proceed.

I mean no disrespect but do you even have insurance??? as i've read many geeks telling you to contact you insurance and you still haven't. A phone call costs nothing but a problem like this can possibly cost you a reputation and money if the client wishes to do anything about it.

I spoke to my insurance company earlier today and have advised them but fingers crossed it won't need to go further.

Hi
You said she wears a contact lense in one eye? Strangely enough my sister wears contacts and a few weeks ago her eyes swelled up, we're very red and puffy (she hadnt had any eyelash extensions or eye tretments) and she had to be treated for an infection and kept going back for checks at the opticians, my point is that maybe it wasn't actually anything to do with the lash extensions as her two friends that u also done lashes on we're fine, just a thought x

That's made me feel a little better :)

Its just that I make sure I Sterilize and that all my equipment is clean and I follow everything to the T, so when something like this happens (and it's the 1st for me) I wonder what on earth I could have done. But as some of you lovely geeks have said - it is very likely that this had nothing to do with the extensions and just a case of bad luck/timing

Xx

If I were in your position I would carry out no more treatments until I had had some refresher training.
I also think you should get some written instructions from your insurance company as to how to handle this; do they want you to keep in touch with the client? Should any communication be written and not verbal?
I genuinely hope for a positive outcome for your client and for you, but treat this as a wake up call; get reassessed to ensure that your technique is up to scratch.

Latest posts

Back