Hot Oil Manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Gadget

Geeky Princess
Reaction score
Had a heated discussion in the salon today with one of my technicians regarding hot oil manicure, I was taught not to apply varnish after the manicure as the oil needs to absorb into nailplate/cuticle area - because obviously it is a treatment manicure for dry/brittle nails etc anyway my technician was adamant that you could apply varnish.

Can anyone else tell me what they do as I would like to get the procedure right.

All help greatly appreciated.

Luv

Jue xxx

hi ya im my nvq book it recommends you dont apply varnish when doing a hot oil manicure xx

Ok Jue,
The nail plate is porous................... that says it all.............
Apply a coating of anything to it like enamel and the plate is covered...........
So you are so right............................that's like having a pedicure with your socks on lol

I cant find my nvq book but I knew it was that, will tell her tomorrow but obviously to me its different tutors at college telling her different things to me, I even looked at my college stuff from 2 years ago just for clarification and it does say in my portfolio that we do not apply varnish.

Oh well roll on Saturday 5am going on me hols for a week to Mablethorpe with Muppet (sorry hubby) will be back in time to work saturday 4 September, then shop till I drop at Excel on Sunday, and a meet with my lovely geeky friends like you Ruth will text you mid afternoon for a coffee or something after your competition.

Thanks you for help girls I can sleep a lot easier tonight now.

Luvs

Jue xxxxx

Its a date babe xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Will you be there on the monday too ?????
Would have more time for the girly geeky stuff then xxxxx like shopping and yacking lol xxxxxxxxxx

Am only there sunday babes but am planning to start 2 night stays at shows when I start competitions next year. I have had quite a traumatic year with my dad, hubby and brother being in hospital and dont think I can face competitions just yet :)

Am fully booked that week after show as I have got to catch up with my clients that I'm not doing next week, am working 14 hour days this week to fit everyone in, I love my job and my clients love me :lol: , my last client tonight bought me a packet of Pro Plus :lol: oh and a bottle of Vodka heehee.

Will definately catch up on sunday though babes is there any shopping you want me to get you on the sunday ie from Designer Nails etc in case they sell out, dont mind getting it for you babes if you want me too.

Luvs

Jue xxxxx

It doesn't say in my NVQ2 book that you shouldn't polish (Nordmann). Just wondering though, if you can't do it after a warm oil manicure why can you do it after a waterless manicure that is all oils and lotions? I like the waterless manicure and want to start doing these.

i'm going to mablethorpe on bank hol monday for a week too, i am going to the haven site (golden sands) hope the weather will hold out

whatabeauty said:
i'm going to mablethorpe on bank hol monday for a week too, i am going to the haven site (golden sands) hope the weather will hold out

many a fond memory of Mablethorpe...my grandparents had two shops there...A&B fabrics and Clever Clogs toy shop. Fancy having a grandad with a toy shop!

Have a lovely time!

PS Is Fred's Bingo still there?

HandyAndy said:
It doesn't say in my NVQ2 book that you shouldn't polish (Nordmann). Just wondering though, if you can't do it after a warm oil manicure why can you do it after a waterless manicure that is all oils and lotions? I like the waterless manicure and want to start doing these.
When I do a hot oil manicure I want to inject as much oil in to the nail plate as possible.............I do Hot oil manicures for problem nails...............when all else is not working.......shape and file nails, do the cuticle work with cuticle remover, then rinse off.........I pour some oil, Solar oil in my case, into a quick soak bowl filled with warm water and get the client to place their fingers into this, cover hands with a soft towel and leave the fingers in there for 10 minutes or a little more depending on the state of the nails..............then massage the oil into each nail plate.....................wipe excess oil of with lint free pad............

Then apply Solar Butter to hands and massage this into hands and nails too.....
I would finish this manicure with a good buff............. buff in the oils.

If I was to use enamel I would have to squeek the nail with scrubfresh to get toughen up or the like to have a good grip.........this will then dehydrate the nail again, so it would bring me back to where I started from........ Now I found that if I don't squeek the nailplate, any base coat and enamel would lift of the nail far more quickly.

To me, doing it this way, is like a good facial and I would never apply make up straight after wards................

Some people apply base and varnish, but then have the client come in the day after and say that all the enamel has lifted of..........
So that is why I personaly oil buff afterwards and not enamel............. gives the nail a healthy glow and pushes the oils into the porous nailplate............

On a waterless manicure I base, enamel and top coat like normal...........

HTH

Hi Ruth
I totally agree with you routine for a hot oil manicure. It is a therapeutic, restorative manicure. To put polish on and to squeak the nails totally goes against the reason for a hot oil manicure. That is what I was taught for my NVQ in Mani and pedi. HOpe to see you On monday at Excel.
Best wishes

Nickie

hi ya how much solar oil should i use??

When I use it in the quick soak bowl, i just use enough to cover the fingers up the first joint.............
Place both hands in one compartment, put a few glass beads in the bottom and let the client play with them, cover with a nice towel and let time and hot oil do it's thing.............
HTH

thanxs ruth,

hi nickie i just looked at your site you do a parrafin wax together with a hot oil mani do you do the hot oil first then the wax??

This is an old thread - I know - but I never replied to your question about paraffin and hot oil together - yes, I would follow Ruth's instruction for a hot oil mani (omitting the polish - as suggested) but after massaging the remaining oil, apply paraffin wax, put hands into plastic bags, and mitts for about 10-15 mins (or heated mitts). This will further help to allow the oil to penetrate further as well as the oil from the paraffin wax too - so all in all making a superbly moisturising manicure treatment for dry skin and problematic, brittle nails and an absolutely terrific treat for any treatment manicure.

Sorry for the extremely late reply to this but I don't remember seeing your further question.

Better late than never as is said.

Toodle pipettes!

Ruth and everyone else, thanks for the info on hot oil manicures. Funny enough I was taught last week to actually squeak and apply enamel after the hot oil treatment on my beauty therapy course....

It ran through my mind that 'Ive just done a hotoil treatment on a client's nails. Why am I squeaking the nail?' This is one for me to challenge my tutor with next week!

ADiva1 said:
Ruth and everyone else, thanks for the info on hot oil manicures. Funny enough I was taught last week to actually squeak and apply enamel after the hot oil treatment on my beauty therapy course....

It ran through my mind that 'Ive just done a hotoil treatment on a client's nails. Why am I squeaking the nail?' This is one for me to challenge my tutor with next week!

Ditto this happened on my training course also!

hey there

its perfectly fine to use polish after a hot oil treatment. i advice my clients that the point of the treatment is to nourish the nail and varnish will only dry it out again, but nine times out of ten, and if it was me personally clients want a polish

Everyone does it different. It depends why you are doing this treatment. If it's for dry skin around the cuticles then polish is fine. If the clients has flaky nails then I will advise them against the polish and buff instead. xxx

Latest posts

Back