Hot roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lara81

Reaction score
Please help! I had a client today who has base 5 on ends mids 6 warm tones and 50% white hair. Natural base 7 She wanted To go to a base 5 all over so we picked illumina 6/43 to match the ends with 6% so I applied this to her roots and then for the last 5min 10min combed the colour down to blend but her roots were very light ( hot roots )!! It was on the full development time. So then I went in with 6/0 to help tone them down but only left it on for 5min and only toned down slightly! Should I have left this on longer? Should I have used the 6/43 and 6/0 together in the first place? Iv been hairdressing for a year now but getting put off lately

Please help! I had a client today who has base 5 on ends mids 6 warm tones and 50% white hair. Natural base 7 She wanted To go to a base 5 all over so we picked illumina 6/43 to match the ends with 6% so I applied this to her roots and then for the last 5min 10min combed the colour down to blend but her roots were very light ( hot roots )!! It was on the full development time. So then I went in with 6/0 to help tone them down but only left it on for 5min and only toned down slightly! Should I have left this on longer? Should I have used the 6/43 and 6/0 together in the first place? Iv been hairdressing for a year now but getting put off lately
If she wanted to go to a base 5 why did you pick 6/43 and 6%? You were never going to achieve a 5 that way.
What I would have done is 5/0 + 5/4 +5/3 or if you wanted it slightly lighter used 5/0 + 6/43 +6% Illumina will give a more transparent look to the colour. After the 6/43 I would have use 5/0 + pastel and left for 20 minutes to down it down. 5 minutes is barely enough for the colour to start oxidising.

I new someone would say that lol I’m not sure y I used 6 I think it was because I wasn’t quite sure her hair was between a 5 or a 6 And was worried it may of gone to dark as she was worried about that. Thank you for that advice that’s helped loads

I new someone would say that lol I’m not sure y I used 6 I think it was because I wasn’t quite sure her hair was between a 5 or a 6 And was worried it may of gone to dark as she was worried about that. Thank you for that advice that’s helped loads
If you're unsure then always opt for the lighter shade, it's easier to go darker than it is to make it lighter. But if it ever ends up too light, it's pointless putting a tint on the same level over the top and expecting it to tone it down as there obviously isn't enough pigment in it. A 5/0 will soften it, and 5/1 will flatten it. But obviously you use pastel to deposit only - as no lift required.

Ok that makes perfect sense thank you really appreciate your help feel so much better about it now and in future I will use that method x

You should always add natural colour to your target colour if the client has grey. if she had 50% grey then you should use 50% natural (6.0) then add your target colour 6/43 x

Latest posts

Back