Hot stones vs lava shells?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeccyMoomin

Reaction score
Hiya :)

Apologies if this is a repeat I did search to see if it had been done before.

Does hot stone massage cover for the use of lava shells insurence wise because from what I have researched lava shells are similar treatment but without the use of a heater?

Also how popular of a treatment is this? Because if I do have to do a course I dont want it to be a waste of time if no one wants it.

Beccy

Lava shells get much hotter than stones and there is so much health and safety with lava shells compared to hot stones that I think you'd be taking quite a risk to do the treatment without the training. You have to do the training to buy from shared beauty secrets but ellisons may be different as I know they have recently started stocking lava shells.

It's a good treatment and probably more mobile friendly than hot stones but you will have to demo a few which is an overhead to consider so that clients actually know what they are.

I will read up some more. And have a look more into it. Hot stones is very popular. So maybe lava shells will be also. Thank you for replying :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hiya :)

Apologies if this is a repeat I did search to see if it had been done before.

Does hot stone massage cover for the use of lava shells insurence wise because from what I have researched lava shells are similar treatment but without the use of a heater?

Also how popular of a treatment is this? Because if I do have to do a course I dont want it to be a waste of time if no one wants it.

Beccy

I have easily added lava shells to my existing BABTAC insurance, with no additional cost. I don't do hot stone massage, but Lava Shell is a great treatment, you do have to consider the cost to do each treatment and you will need the training.

Yeh I am trying to look for courses closer to me (N . Wales) I am in a home therapy room so I like to offer things that are a little different to attract clients. I just wondered with already having the hot stone course if it would be the same principal seeing as it uses heat in both. I will do much more research into it . Thank you :)

For a bricks and mortar location I prefer the stones out of the two, I found the lava shells way too hot, this was about 6 years ago and they may have changed the heating packs as in those days there were two, regular and deep.

I can control the temperature on my stones way better, the only way to cool the shells down was to put them in cold water. I also have breakage and splitage with some of the shells. As a LMT I am not a fan at all.

Yeh I have been reading up alot this afternoon about them and decided to go against it. I like hot stones and likecyou say nicer controled tempreture and I am imagining shells may just be a novelty. There does seem to be alot of faff with them.

Thanks for the input :) Im sticking with stones.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have just learned Lava shells. Think I will be sticking to the medium heat for a bit till I get used to the heat.

I don't do hot stones. was a bit surprised at the cost of the sachets to be honest so it will be my most expensive massage treatment!

xx

I offer both hot stones and lava shells and I much prefer the shells. Yes they do get very hot if you don't use the temperature control techniques you are shown in training.

In my opinion the pros of using Lava Shells outweigh the cons. They offer continuous heat so your client gets a much more consistent treatment, stones cool quickly so you're having to leave the client often to get the next batch. The shape of them offers much more in terms of being able to work deeply into the muscles if required, plus the range of treatments you can offer with them means you can appeal to different client groups, stones are much less versatile. Shells are very easy to clean, loads of stones and a hot water tank takes way longer. Shells take up no space at all in your treatment room. I can honestly say of all my hot stone clients not one has gone back to them after having the shells.

Cons as far as I can see are only the cost per treatment, but you just have to factor that in to your treatment cost and they've bought me so much repeat business it's been worth every penny. I thought it was a fad when I first read about them but I'm taking hot stones off my price list when I do my next reprint. I haven't used them in months.

P.s. no I don't work for them lol

Last edited:
I love lava shells too. My joints were beginning to ache after numerous years of massage... These little beauties melt the knots away in no time at all. The training is very good and required in my opinion to manage the heat. My clients love this treatment!

I liked the idea of the shells. However on reading about the sachets and the cost. Yh you have the cleaningvof hot stones. But once you pay for them you dont have to keep paying out to replenish.
I know all treatments have pros and cons.
it is definatly somthing to consider.

Xx

I don't do hot stones myself but the salon offers both shells and stones....we don't do enough hot stones to warrant the heater being on all day so the shells work for us. I bought high heat by accident and have found if you split the 1 liquid between 2 shells it's like medium heat and much easier to work with...I did check it was ok to do, so luckily I haven't wasted all my high heats.

I also do the lava bambu....I actually prefer it to shells...most of my clients do too...it's just not the easiest thing to promote visually ... Bit rude looking 😂

I am also experimenting with self heating diy stones...it comes in powder form and you add warm water and shape in your hands.

Latest posts

Back