Hot towel shaves

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hair bear

Reaction score
i have just learned how to do a hot towel shave at my salon. american crew came and taught us. has any body else done this in their salon, how did it go and do you guys have any tips on getting a really close shave ? what kinda blades did you use and what response did you get from your clients ? any comments much appreciated :)

i have just learned how to do a hot towel shave at my salon. american crew came and taught us. has any body else done this in their salon, how did it go and do you guys have any tips on getting a really close shave ? what kinda blades did you use and what response did you get from your clients ? any comments much appreciated :)

Hi hair bear, Hmm health and safety plays a major part with hot shaving because by law you are required to use a fresh blade for each client or use a proper autoclave to sterilize each cut throat razor for every client ,

but this really wouldn't be very practical as you would aslo need to sharpen it up and hone it every time with a barbers stone using oil, then use a barbers leather strap to make it really sharp , therefore cross contamination can easily take place so the razor would need to be sterilised after doing all of the above prep

I found it easier to use a diposable pack of razor blades you can buy these mens professional shaving blades and holders with a tang from Aston and fincher or salons direct and they are not too expensive
did they show you how to load a disposable tang type of razor too ?

using hot towels and a really good lathering up getting right underneath that stubble really helps lift and soften stubble for that really good close shave and of course correctly tensioning the skin
but I have also been told by a lot of experienced barbers that a Mach 3 is very much top on their list :D
I think hot shaving is a fantastic pamper package for men , you can also steam your hot towels in a microwave if you haven't got a towel steamer
hth :hug: minky x

thanks minky , i agree that it is a pamper for men, cos i cant compeate with a mach 3 ! we use a razor called a "butter cutter " and i can change the blade on that. like you said it is realy usefull to lather the beard up first to soften the hair and bring it out of the folicle.i finish up with cooling balm and a nice face massage :) then a really cold towel out of the fridge..... Bloody marvelous!

thanks minky , i agree that it is a pamper for men, cos i cant compeate with a mach 3 ! we use a razor called a "butter cutter " and i can change the blade on that. like you said it is realy usefull to lather the beard up first to soften the hair and bring it out of the folicle.i finish up with cooling balm and a nice face massage :) then a really cold towel out of the fridge..... Bloody marvelous!

Ha ha :lol: , I used to practice on a lathered up balloon , with the butter cutter lol x a balloon is great for practising on lol x have burst quite a few :lol:

Latest posts

Back