Hot wax going grainy/gritty, any ideas why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMC

Reaction score
We been using Lycon So Yummy Chocolate Hot Wax and Lycon Lavender LycoJet for years and years, and lately they have been going grainy/gritty in the pots. It's extremely hard to use as it will either snap (brittle) or stick to the skin (like it has no oils, or it sucks the moisture out and puckers to the skin). We've never had a problem until the last few months. I have been using it 6+ years, the therapist before me for over 10+ years. All without issues. Has anybody had this, and if so - what caused it?

It's not the wax batch (old, expired, bad batch etc.) as we have check this thoroughly with our supplier. There is no moisture in the pots, we've been ultra strict with all hygiene practices. We've cleaned out our wax pots so well you could eat off them, then put new wax back in (same batch, new batch etc etc.) and they would go gritty in a few days. Someone suggested the wax pots weren't heating evenly - so we put them on max setting to melt everything then back down again. It worked for some, but not for long. Then we got new wax pots (different brand) and tried all the same things again, they were fine a few days and now going gritty and grainy.
The only thing I can now think of is the actual power or electrical sockets that are preventing the wax pots from heating thoroughly. Waiting for an electrician next week.

Any ideas please? Or tips to keep it as fresh as possible?

Should we be leaving them on 24/7 or turning them off at night? Is there a limit to how many times you can heat up from solid?
Never had to think of the answers to these questions as it's always been fine!

I would say it’s a heat problem too? Could you try a thermostatically controlled wax pot so you can control the temp better?

Have you spoken to Lycon directly for advice? They might be able to troubleshoot for you also...

Good luck I hope you manage to sort it soon. X

It’s nothing you’re doing, it sounds like this wax (or batch) is unstable. You should be able to heat to very high temperatures and the wax should not be affected like this. It is definitely heat that’s causing it but it really shouldn’t. A stable wax can be heated, cooled and reheated time and time again at high temperatures without this happening. I would ask your supplier to replace with a different one, I believe they have many choices.

I was fed up of this happening to well known waxes. Or they burned if we bumped the heater up to stop the wax going lumpy. I changed to Wax:one 2 months ago and this has never happened. It's relit my passion for waxing.

I would say it’s a heat problem too? Could you try a thermostatically controlled wax pot so you can control the temp better?
Have you spoken to Lycon directly for advice? They might be able to troubleshoot for you also...
Good luck I hope you manage to sort it soon. X

Good idea with the thermostat to check temperature. I will look into this thanks. I've email Lycon directly, but not heard back just yet. Thank you!

It’s nothing you’re doing, it sounds like this wax (or batch) is unstable. You should be able to heat to very high temperatures and the wax should not be affected like this. It is definitely heat that’s causing it but it really shouldn’t. A stable wax can be heated, cooled and reheated time and time again at high temperatures without this happening. I would ask your supplier to replace with a different one, I believe they have many choices.

I thought so too, though we've been using it over 16 years here and never had a problem. When troubleshooting with our supplier, they gave us a different wax (still went gritty), then they gave us our original wax AND the new different wax in different batches and it's still done the same thing. They've also said they have had nobody else come back with a problem. Hence we ruled out any batch issue. Thanks for your insight though, I will speak with them again and see what they come up with.

I was fed up of this happening to well known waxes. Or they burned if we bumped the heater up to stop the wax going lumpy. I changed to Wax:eek:ne 2 months ago and this has never happened. It's relit my passion for waxing.

Strange! Do you know why it was happening? Problem with the wax pot itself? I'm 99.99% sure that Lycon is the best brand available to us where we are (NZ) so hopefully we can sort this issue and continue using it as always. I've always loved the product, just not the past 6 months! Not sure what has changed.

Good idea with the thermostat to check temperature. I will look into this thanks. I've email Lycon directly, but not heard back just yet. Thank you!

I thought so too, though we've been using it over 16 years here and never had a problem. When troubleshooting with our supplier, they gave us a different wax (still went gritty), then they gave us our original wax AND the new different wax in different batches and it's still done the same thing. They've also said they have had nobody else come back with a problem. Hence we ruled out any batch issue. Thanks for your insight though, I will speak with them again and see what they come up with.

Strange! Do you know why it was happening? Problem with the wax pot itself? I'm 99.99% sure that Lycon is the best brand available to us where we are (NZ) so hopefully we can sort this issue and continue using it as always. I've always loved the product, just not the past 6 months! Not sure what has changed.
It's usually to do with the wax not being the same temperature throughout the wax pot. Xx

I've contacted Lycon and they have sent me this information on wax crystallization.
I followed the instructions and have had great results with the Choc wax, but the Lavender wax is still the same (maybe slightly better).
I'm just waiting on a further response, so can update again here incase anyone else comes across this issue in the future. Hopefully the solution will be here for them.

Attachments

• Wax Crystallization Instructions.pdf
    319.5 KB · Views: 100

Latest posts

Back