Hot weather affecting acrylic application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoriabar

Reaction score
Hi Geeks I just need to vent...
I'm still feeling a tad rubbish about my last set of nails that I done last night. Taking 4hours... Yep 4 :(

The temperature yesterday was hot hot and the flat I was working in was sweltering too, the client was sweating so much her hands were dripping and kept slipping out of my grip.
I use NSI Attraction and love the way it feels when working with it but last night was horrific, it was turning to chewing gym sometimes before it had even touched the nail or began setting as soon as it touched the nail giving me no workable time with it, I had to do one hand at a time as I found one I had managed to get an application on it then set like rock ... I never usually have any filing to get smooth nails just a lil bit of buffing and then white block but last night nothing was smoothing out those nails.
I have another set to do this evening and am dreading it, this isn't a good feeling as I love nails. I have to do the set tonight as I'd booked both ladies in for last night giving me the two sets back to back but that single set took both slots :(

The final outcome of the nails were ok and client was pleased and very understanding but it didn't make me feel any better about my application.

Is this normal for hot temps to mess with acrylics like that?

This was how they turned out.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337931730.872343.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337931730.872343.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 560
Hi I was in a really hot kitchen doing 2 sets of nails and it ended up taking me an hour longer to do them because the acrylic was setting so quick etc, so your not alone, I asked her to open the windows and doors but it was still like a bloody sauna lol xx

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm newly qualified and the set I did yesterday on a friend took me ages to do because of the heat and I really didn't feel as happy with them as I have done with sets I have done in the past 😥

The heat will make your liquid evapourate quicker, you need to work a little wetter and a little faster.

You'll have less trouble today, you'll be ready for it and understand whats happening :hug:

I was wondering why my acrylic went all weird last night I thought my ratio was to dry. As soon as I placed my bead down it set didn't have time to pat into place so I had to take extra beads and set them down which left nails very bulky. I had to file most of the product off. My brush was also going gooey. I know I poured enough monomer into my dampen dish it's a large EZflow one that's more than enough for one set but when I finished I looked at my liquid and it was a dark purple. I hope it's not going to cause any sort of product breakdown.
Now I know it is heat that affects my liquid is there a way of cooling it down? Could I put my dish in a bowl with an ice cube maybe?

The ice cube thing is actually not a bad idea ... But you you could end up with the product setting too slow then
(I've got different monomers, same brand - so it won't be problematic working in cold/hot weather)

You have to learn to adapt to all these different conditions when they arise. If you understand your product chemistry then you know exactly what to do.

Heat makes things set faster .... Of course it does. ... Heat will speed up any chemical reaction and cold will slow it down.

If heat makes your monomer evaporate faster then you have to work a little wetter to compensate. And you need to work a bit faster too. Some like to worki in 4-5 zones with smaller beads rather than 2-3 zones with larger beads,

Cooling your Liquid is not practical in any sense. You need to adapt to temperature changes and work smart. :)

Thanks for all your replies fellow Geeks, I'm glad it's not just me.

I will indeed be working with knowledge tonight.

Wetter and quicker :)

I have too had this for the past few days. However I knew that they key is just to work wetter and quicker even though this is easier said than done!! I ended up with my full sets taking me 1 hour 30 mins instead of my usual 1 hour 15 mins. This was due to extra filing at the end as the product was still setting faster than I could apply!!

Although it is difficult in this hot weather I have to say I prefer it to when the product takes forever to set due to being too cold.

Did a set tonight and worked wetter and quicker still very bulky though, will have to get used to it. Hopefully will get lots of practice in.xx

I've done a few sets of nails now since my set I posted about and have made a few "weather dependant" changes.

Usually I use NSI as I found my Salon System kit too wet, as the heat was making my NSI set faster I re-tried my Salon System kit and even with the faster setting time it gave me my usual NSI setting/playing time.

Overall I'm a happy bunny with the sets of nails I am producing again and not worrying as I was.

The ice cube thing is actually not a bad idea ... But you you could end up with the product setting too slow then
(I've got different monomers, same brand - so it won't be problematic working in cold/hot weather)
What are the different types of monomer and the brand please?

Latest posts

Back