Hourly Rate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz33

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have always been self employed but from Nov this year the salon a rent from would like all staff to change to employees.

I have been asked to stay on as the head beauty/nail therapist & to give them an hourly rate that would suit, but i'm not sure.

I have 10 years experience in nails & beauty.

I know from oct this year the minimum wage will be £6.08 but i feel i should get more.

Please help.

Thank you

To be honest, I am not 100% sure I would be happy with this. I run a small nail & Beauty salon as a sole trader and I am not sure anyone would be able to afford me at an hourly rate lol x I know this sounds a little big headed but seriously I could easily do two sets of Gelac in an hour bringing in roughly £20 in profits - Would your salon be happy with a £20 an hour rate? Probs not

I know being self employed has risks of not filling the hours with appointments etc but if you have been at it 10 years I doubt this is a problem for you...

If you love where you are and want to stay then i would suggest working out your average hourly taking and calculate a rate from that x Don't undersell yourself though hun x

Wow. Don't do it.

It is generally a third of average gross takings per week, divided by the number of hours worked.

Hi,
I think it could be time for you to go it alone if you can!! Or even want to.
They can see how much you bring in and your experience, ask them what they are prepared to offer you as an hourly rate?
Don't tell them how much you want, they have instigated this, they need to tell you how much they are prepared to pay you for your services and experience.
Then work out how much you originally made if it is similar then it may be worth considering. If not then time to fly..................
Best wishes, please keep us all up dated.
Lotsa luv x x x x

Thanks for all your help ladies.

I thought this but it better hearing it from others.

I do love the place i work & the others are fab, but i have seen a lovely little place that would be perfect for me to go it alone.

I have a lot to think about :)

Thank you

Thanks for all your help ladies.

I thought this but it better hearing it from others.

I do love the place i work & the others are fab, but i have seen a lovely little place that would be perfect for me to go it alone.

I have a lot to think about :)

Thank you

Honestly, now that I have my own little space above a hair salon, I would NEVER go back to working for anyone. It's my business, my way.

And that's how you make money in this industry most of the time; on your own.

Don't go back working for someone. That would be a step backwards, and you don't want to do that. To be honest, you can give them your hourly rate, but I doubt any salon will pay their therapists more than 8pounds/hour.
That's still very little comparing what you could earn as self-employed.

Latest posts

Back