House hunting/property viewing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilCheekyMonkey

Reaction score
Afternoon all! I hope your all having a good day/week.

I'm currently property hunting and I've booked two viewings for Monday. This is the first time I will be looking to buy a property. So I'm wondering if there are any tips or things I should look out for?

TIA.

X

Hi Tia,

I have bought many properties so am rather experienced plus my husband has an estate agency!!!I would say keep viewing absolutely loads,even if you spot one you love just keep on viewing!!! That way you will get a feel for what you should be paying for what you are looking for!! It's not just about the house but pay attention to the area,local school catchment(even if kids aren't in the equation) surrounding roads as it all adds to the value.I know you are looking to buy but always consider the resale ability of the property too as you never know when you when your circumstances may change and you sell!!

Have a look on right move at house prices of sold houses in your chosen area too so you know if you are paying over the odds or getting a deal!!!

Don't rule anything out either by how it looks on the particulars/description because it's doesn't always do it justice...

As my biggest tip which my husband always says...don't get emotionally attached to a property,it's not yours till the key is in your hand!!!! We have had many a house fall through and I have been gutted so I don't do that any more,

Good luck, this is a very very exciting time buying your first property ! Xxxxxxx

I've just bought my first house so only have one house to go on but I would say check that the floors are solid, have a good jumps when the agent isn't watching (been burnt in rental with weak floors before). Also if you like a house it can be worth checking the area and if there is a chancel tax (where you have to pay for the local church repairs), seems odd but worth checking.
We also had the sellers get insurance to cover the conservatory cost in case we were ordered to remove it as technically its not allowed on our house so it's worth going over deeds and things to make sure everything is as it should be.
As well as viewing lots if you like somewhere view it at different times of day in case it's only nice in the week or middle of the day in the are.
Ask if there's been problems with the neighbours, they have to admit it if there has by law. Other than that make sure you get a full survey done and assume you'll have to replace the boiler as it happens more that it should.

And lastly..have fun nosing around people houses!

Theyda good points there.....we viewed a house one Saturday afternoon and then again in the evening and the amount of parked cars outside on the eve that were not there in the day put us off so that's very true...

I also loved been nosey to be fair I still go and view property's if I drive past any I like the look of just to have a look!!

Ps a lot of the searches Theyda mentioned do get done by solicitors when you are at acceptance of offer stage

Xxx

Thanks for the pointers so far guys!
Kids are already on the equation, so I'm on the look for the possible forever or until she's 18 home. Fingers crossed I find one that I can possibly have a home salon in :).

Thinking ahead. So I've found the house, offers ready to go in. Would it be worth asking the neighbours, council and mortgage broker about having a home salon? X

Not sure about neighbours but I know I had to check my mortgage and house insurance with a business from home, my insurance didn't allow it at the time.

Thanks for the pointers so far guys!
Kids are already on the equation, so I'm on the look for the possible forever or until she's 18 home. Fingers crossed I find one that I can possibly have a home salon in :).

Thinking ahead. So I've found the house, offers ready to go in. Would it be worth asking the neighbours, council and mortgage broker about having a home salon? X

I wouldn't even bother..... If you get negative response it could put you on a downer..... I don't think you will have any problem xx

How exciting!! We've been in our first home for 6 months now which has been amazing.

Make sure you actually look properly, sounds weird. Like don't look at the other peoples belongings, actually look at the wall and the skirting boards, pipe work etc state of the carpets.

I think I was a bit naive when we looked, although we were looking for a house that needed work doing, when we moved in I didn't realise quite how grubby everything was! You expect people to maintain a certain amount of cleanliness and I wish I'd have looked a bit closer the prepare myself!

All the other points raised are good, neighbours are so important and make all the difference so make sure you ask about them.

Let us know how you get on

How exciting!! We've been in our first home for 6 months now which has been amazing.

Make sure you actually look properly, sounds weird. Like don't look at the other peoples belongings, actually look at the wall and the skirting boards, pipe work etc state of the carpets.

I think I was a bit naive when we looked, although we were looking for a house that needed work doing, when we moved in I didn't realise quite how grubby everything was! You expect people to maintain a certain amount of cleanliness and I wish I'd have looked a bit closer the prepare myself!

All the other points raised are good, neighbours are so important and make all the difference so make sure you ask about them.

Let us know how you get on

I know how you feel EmJ....we bought a house to do up last august and I am stood now in my work gear stripping walls looking around thinking oh my god...HOW MUCH work have we got to do on this place......plus I think you don't prepare for the cost!!! It certainly exceeds what you thought!! Xx

I'd love to buy a house to do up but funds + a 3 month old, is a no go.
I'm definitely going to jot all the points you guys have mentioned down, ready for tomorrow.

I'm not in any particular rush but I hope I find the right home by Christmas this year. Fingers crossed! X

Don't rush in as it is such a big decision!!! I believe fate plays a hand with choosing a property so go with what direction feels right!!!!

Just keep on viewing loads and loads ........

Let us know if you gave any luck with the offer your putting in too!! Good luck xxxxx

Well the two viewed today were okay, but not right for us. It's a shame that the area I'd like to live in is ridiculously overpriced or the houses are in needs of £50,000+ renovations to make it modern. When I say this I mean removing the pink or green bathroom suite, the swirly brown carpet and the stand alone kitchen units that are better suited to delboy's flat!
Hopefully some new properties will pop up in the next few weeks that might be worth a view. X

If you want to have a home salon, ask your solicitor to check the deeds of the house before you start paying for surveys etc. A lot of properties have it written into the deeds that you can't run a business from home. Our house, my mum's house and my sister's house all have this clause written into the deeds x

I'll definitely get the deeds checked once I find the right property.

Thanks for the tip Spa Therapist x

You're welcome, good luck! x

are you going to decorate it?

Once we find the right house, of course we will be decorating it to our taste. Most likely do one room at a time as and when we have the funds.

After a year and s half we still have half the house to decorate :p it can be slow going. Take your time with it, there's no one to rush you :D

Bit of an update.

So I've viewed around 10 properties now. I put in 2 offers on 2 houses and lost them both to the highest bidders.

Still searching, hopefully it won't be long!

Moving and finding the right home can be a bit of a 'mare, but I'm a firm believer in fate.

Hoping you find your dream home very soon, with no more gazzumping.

Latest posts

Back