How’s business….?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
I haven’t been on here in quite a while - just got to wondering how you guys are finding things… is it just me feeling the pinch?

Dying on its feet 😢

Today I had to bin a load of Jane iredale retail make up that had dried up & vitamin supplements that had passed their sell by date ……😫 such a waste - can’t risk retailing anymore - and hairdressing clients are leaving longer & longer between appointments - root touch-ups are always full head - except they don’t want to pay for the extra time/product…..

I was busy the week before I finish for my Xmas break but no clients the 10 days before, the all pushed a bit longer. Busy next week when I go back but nothing in the following week. Many are tightening their belts for the winter fuel bills and trying to eke out money until January pay day.

I did a non scientific survey of an online community I'm part of, general concensus was hairdresser appointments will be less frequent and less spendy, cuts only, colours being grown out, etc. Nails, facials are out. Waxing seems to staying unaffected. As I say, totally unscientific, asked about 300, got about 100 responses, this was back in October, whether Christmas and food price increases have changed that I don't know

I was busy the week before I finish for my Xmas break but no clients the 10 days before, the all pushed a bit longer. Busy next week when I go back but nothing in the following week. Many are tightening their belts for the winter fuel bills and trying to eke out money until January pay day.

I did a non scientific survey of an online community I'm part of, general concensus was hairdresser appointments will be less frequent and less spendy, cuts only, colours being grown out, etc. Nails, facials are out. Waxing seems to staying unaffected. As I say, totally unscientific, asked about 300, got about 100 responses, this was back in October, whether Christmas and food price increases have changed that I don't know
I’m racking my brain - but can’t think how to improve things - theres nothing new, bright or shinny on the horizon ….
I actually worry where the industry is going as some folk seem less concerned with their appearance post Covid….😬
There doesn’t seem to be any new trends to woo people in - inventiveness seems non existent as I guess it’s too risky to invest in anything that might not take off🤷‍♀️

Hi 👋

I had 3 new clients for nails the week before Christmas, but nothing after that. There is only one acrylic infill booked for the first week of January and I have a feeling that will be pushed to the end of January and will be a full set again. My pedi's seem to stay as a necessary (diabetics) which I'm thankful for. But it will need a big push, as if I'm starting again in the New Year 🤔

Today I had to bin a load of Jane iredale retail make up that had dried up & vitamin supplements that had passed their sell by date ……😫 such a waste - can’t risk retailing anymore - and hairdressing clients are leaving longer & longer between appointments - root touch-ups are always full head - except they don’t want to pay for the extra time/product…..

Feeling this! Last 3 years just constantly stuff going off as not busy enough to use it up fast enough.

My friend just sold me tons of gels for a good price and it was like a saviour. But she is isn’t going to be working anymore, and both my hairdressers have closed their salons (I found one after one shut and got another job). 3 local businesses gone!

Im doing ok, like last year was dreadful. I made hardly anything as for every client I had to buy products each time before they came.

My mobility has affected my work more than it used to so instead of 7 clients a day now Im on 2-3 per week. Its livable and profitable for me and my needs, but not the best person for an average.

I’m racking my brain - but can’t think how to improve things - theres nothing new, bright or shinny on the horizon ….
I actually worry where the industry is going as some folk seem less concerned with their appearance post Covid….😬
There doesn’t seem to be any new trends to woo people in - inventiveness seems non existent as I guess it’s too risky to invest in anything that might not take off🤷‍♀️

I don't think how shiny and fun something new could/would be, the money is just not there to be spent. It's not a case of making yourself stand out from the crowd like before, it's more a case of last business still standing. As @House Beauty has said, our peers are having to close shop at an alarming rate, but I'm worried that even those left cannot get enough regular business to continue. I'm home based so no overheads, my heart breaks for those of our community who are trying to pay rents/wages/etc.

I don't think how shiny and fun something new could/would be, the money is just not there to be spent. It's not a case of making yourself stand out from the crowd like before, it's more a case of last business still standing. As @House Beauty has said, our peers are having to close shop at an alarming rate, but I'm worried that even those left cannot get enough regular business to continue. I'm home based so no overheads, my heart breaks for those of our community who are trying to pay rents/wages/etc.

I work from home too and I'm in a fortunate position that I shouldn't have to stress about it, but I do 🤦‍♀️I am disabled, so having low client numbers helps me to control my energy. I did contemplate renting a desk and I'm so thankful that I thought better of it. My heart goes out to those that are struggling or have had to shut 😔

I'd say that I am probably back to where I was before Covid which is good. It's taken a while. Quite a lot of clients have not been in since Covid started so I doubt those ones will be returning now. However I have gained some new clients who have become good regulars.
I am raising my prices for this year from today. All the clients who were in during December have been given the new price list so I'll see if it affects bookings over the coming months.
Retail over December was poor, mainly selling the low priced items. Not sold many vouchers either.
I think spending priorities are changing what with inflation & price rises etc.

Ultimately...work smarter not harder...!

P.s.
I am amazed at the number of new beauty salons that have opened up recently in my nearest town. It is already saturated with barbers and hair salons!
The numbers don't add up.....

Latest posts

Back